Identify this hull?

JimmusUK

Visit site
Hey,

Still searching for the right boat.

Can anyone identify this hull, owner has no idea.

Thanks
Jim

Attachments

• unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 55
  • unknowncropped.png
    unknowncropped.png
    287 KB · Views: 57
  • unknown2.jpg
    unknown2.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 53

BruceK

Visit site
The cathedral hull was very popular amongst small fast fishers it could be just about anything. To me it also resembles a CJR 14

Davy_S

Visit site
The cathedral hull was very popular amongst small fast fishers it could be just about anything. To me it also resembles a CJR 14
The CJR was a triple hull, the central keel was not as deep as the seahog, CJR photo.
305451-274521.jpg

Davy_S

Visit site
Excellent, thanks for your help. Any ideas how good a seahog is as a fishing platform. Can it cope in a bit of chop offshore?

The Seahog hull is a good sea fishing boat, it is stable at anchor, yes, it can cope in a chop, but bear in mind, it is a small boat and should be used in suitable weather, it is ok in a following sea or a head sea, the CJR on the other hand, is stable at anchor, good in a following sea, but slams badly into a head sea, it can suffer lots of stress cracks as a result. I have had both boats.

JimmusUK

Visit site
Excellent, thanks for your help. Any ideas how good a seahog is as a fishing platform. Can it cope in a bit of chop offshore?

The Seahog hull is a good sea fishing boat, it is stable at anchor, yes, it can cope in a chop, but bear in mind, it is a small boat and should be used in suitable weather, it is ok in a following sea or a head sea, the CJR on the other hand, is stable at anchor, good in a following sea, but slams badly into a head sea, it can suffer lots of stress cracks as a result. I have had both boats.

Do you think the small protruding v at the center of the catherdral will reduce the slamming a little? I used to have a little bayliner bowrider which slammed pretty bad and that had quite a big v at the front if I remember.

Davy_S

Visit site
Do you think the small protruding v at the center of the catherdral will reduce the slamming a little? I used to have a little bayliner bowrider which slammed pretty bad and that had quite a big v at the front if I remember.
The protruding V helps to reduce slamming when compared with the triple hull of the CJR, you have to compromise with small fast fishing boats, the best hull shape would be a deep V, but this would need a bigger engine to get it up on the plane, plus it would not be as stable when anchored, it would roll more when you moved to one side, a cathedral hull tries to get the best of both worlds, easy to get up on the plane, but stable at anchor, they will all slam in a head sea to some extent, you simply have to slow down to suit the conditions.

JimmusUK

Visit site
Great, thanks for your help.

I've put a deposit down on this little boat and will eagerly await the lifting of the travel ban!

I'd like to start ordering the items I need to kit her out inc. a cover. Any advice for if you had this type of boat?

Attachments

• dory pilot.png
    dory pilot.png
    545.3 KB · Views: 3