Identify 29ft Primrose and Illingworth

MarkEllis

Visit site
I have a 29ft cold moulded yacht in Australia, called a Tocade 29, that is reported to be designed by Primrose and Illingworth, and build in the early 1970s. But I can find no other Tocade 29s listed anywhere, and nor in their list of designs.
Can anyone help identify this design and whether there are others out there please?

Attachments

• 0_3.jpg
    0_3.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 66
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 3.34.45 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 3.34.45 pm.png
    554.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 3.34.59 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 3.34.59 pm.png
    303.6 KB · Views: 66

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
I've never heard of a Tocade, but welcome to the forums anyway!
I expect one of us has an old book about those famous yacht designers, so fingers crossed.
You might try the Old Gaffers Association as well, they cater for old wooden bermudans as well as gaff rig boats.

bluerm166

Visit site
Have not heard of the Tocade but had some dealings with a 25 foot Illingworth & Primrose cold moulded 'Top Hat' Class yacht here in the UK and built in 64/65 by Souter.I understand that their particular speciality in such moulding came from aircraft manufacture.
There are/were a number of Top Hats built in Australia but in GRP so you might find a link amongst those owners.
Being cold moulded it may be that your vessel was sailed from the UK .
I was impressed particularly by the beautiful hull framing that could take its place in a design museum .
Here are some details from a sale of a later Top Hat class - you may see some similarities in the detailng which occur in your larger boat.
.Top Hat Sloop - Wooden Ships

MarkEllis

Visit site
Thanks for all these suggestions - I'm on the trail! Top Hats are very popular here in Australia, and while most are grp, there are a few with timber hulls. My boat has many features that are common to Top Hats. My understanding is that mine was built in Pittwater, just north of Sydney.

Attachments

• IMG_7797_4.jpg
    IMG_7797_4.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 16

Greg from Glebe

Visit site
I have a 29ft cold moulded yacht in Australia, called a Tocade 29, that is reported to be designed by Primrose and Illingworth, and build in the early 1970s. But I can find no other Tocade 29s listed anywhere, and nor in their list of designs.
Can anyone help identify this design and whether there are others out there please?
Hi Mark .... Just came across your post. I believe this yacht was sold a few months ago (by you??) and I recall listed as built by Swansons - is that correct? I recall there was one sold a few years ago in Sydney (Sirius Cove) by one of the senior folk at the Maritime Museum ( Nigel Erskine ??) - perhaps the same boat. In any event, there was at least one built by Hald and Johansen at Dee Why in the 1960s, but with a different coach house and cabin configuration to yours, They advertised the design in Seacraft magazine at the time - see attached cheers. Greg

MarkEllis

Visit site
Hi Mark .... Just came across your post. I believe this yacht was sold a few months ago (by you??) and I recall listed as built by Swansons - is that correct? I recall there was one sold a few years ago in Sydney (Sirius Cove) by one of the senior folk at the Maritime Museum ( Nigel Erskine ??) - perhaps the same boat. In any event, there was at least one built by Hald and Johansen at Dee Why in the 1960s, but with a different coach house and cabin configuration to yours, They advertised the design in Seacraft magazine at the time - see attached cheers. Greg

Hi Greg,

Yes this is the same boat! I bought it off Nigel in 2015 and have enjoyed her since. I put her on the market earlier this year but then COVID hit and I had little interest. Unfortunately I couldnt see your attachment but I do have some old photos from the early 70's when she had a different coachhouse and timber mast!

Greg from Glebe

Visit site
Cheers Mark. Trying to send attachments - photos I have look similar. Nigel spoke to me when he was thinking of selling the boat because he wondered if it was an h&j build, although I note you advertised it as a Swanson I think full stop what is she called and do you know any previous names? If you use instagram see @haldandjohansenyachts . Email is gregdwyer51@gmail.com

Attachments

• 2021_10_10 4_56 pm Office Lens.jpg
    2021_10_10 4_56 pm Office Lens.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20211010_173300_349.jpg
    IMG_20211010_173300_349.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 16