Ideal sail wardrobe for IRC

tsekul

Visit site
Hi there,
If you were going to purchase a complete set of sails for double handed racing under IRC. What would you get and why. Obviously if you have all the money in the world it doesn’t matter but if you have a limited budget and want as much bang for your buck what is the best compromise ?

I am thinking, Main , jib, stay sail , code 0, A3 and symmetrical runner ? ( storm jib), not sure which A sail would be best . Next question is what is that little lot going to set you back ?

T

DFL1010

Visit site
I guess the obvious questions would be what type of boat; do you do W/L, round the cans or coastal; offshore or crewed; and where?

Ingwe

Visit site
You would be going hank on headsails, and will need three of them +storm sails. Downind probably a code zero three and two symmetric kites. In the UK if you speak to North they will tell you exactly what ghe top boats are running. Cost wise I am guessing £25-£30k but that is working off the prices I paid for sf3200 sails four years ago.

flaming

Visit site
You might get away with 2 jibs. A lot of the DH boats are using a light 1 that's really more like a 2, and then a reefable 3 that can reduce to J4 size.

You then have a choice of trying to use the 3 kites that IRC allow you, or taking the hit for a 4th. Offshore you probably want 4.

We have a JPK1010 and for DH offshore I would want a code zero on a furler, an A1, an S4 and an A5.

For inshore we have an S1.5, S4, A5 and a weird Code0/A3 hybrid. Then we pick 3 to take for each event.

tsekul

Visit site
Thanks for the info.
If could get hold of a 1010 I'd get one. There are a few in france but it means paying the vat again. So I started thinking of a new boat as at least you only pay one lot of vat ! probably end with what we've got for awhile.

flaming

Visit site
Thanks for the info.
If could get hold of a 1010 I'd get one. There are a few in france but it means paying the vat again. So I started thinking of a new boat as at least you only pay one lot of vat ! probably end with what we've got for awhile.
What are you currently sailing?