ICOM IC-505 direct to GPS ?

Jokani

Visit site
I tried to connect my ICOM IC-505 direct to a GPS aerial yesterday, but the radio never received a position.

I connected the 2 inner wires together and the 2 outer conductors together.

Am I wiring it correctly or am I missing something?

Jokani

Visit site
Hi Roger,

Yep, I was using the red wire and I had 2 inners connected and the the 2 outers connected together, so it should have worked?

In that case I am stumped as to why it does not work. Previously the GPS aerial was connected to a chartplotter and it worked fine.

Jokani

Visit site
Is it just a "GPS aerial", rather than a GPS receiver?

Yes, I wired it straight to the aerial, before it was connected to an old NavMan plotter, but that stopped working, so I though it best to wire direct?

pvb

Visit site
Yes, I wired it straight to the aerial, before it was connected to an old NavMan plotter, but that stopped working, so I though it best to wire direct?

OK, you seem to be saying that your GPS aerial is simply that - an aerial. In which case it won't work with your radio. Your radio requires a GPS receiver with an NMEA output, to supply the position data to the radio.

Jokani

Visit site
The GPS 128 has an NMEA out:

garmin-128-gps1.jpg

But it only has one wire out and the VHF is expecting 2 wires to be connected?

pvb

Visit site
Good of you to dripfeed the information!

Connect the GPS128's blue wire to the Icom's central core. Connect the Icom's outer core to the Garmin's ground (black wire). You'll need to check that the Garmin is set up to output NMEA (look at the Interface page and set it for either NMEA/NMEA or None/NMEA.

Jokani

Visit site
Thanks for the info pvb, apologies for not posting the full info to start, I did think I could connect the VHF direct to the GPS Aerial, and not use the 128 at all.

I guess at least this ways around I have a surplus GPS aerial I can remove.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Jokani

Visit site
pvb - I appreciate your help, followed your instructions and I have had some success:

Success.jpg