I would like to know

nickcred

Visit site
What you guys consider the best pubs within easy walk of good mooring or even better with mooring on the non tidal Thames. I guess there is a book on it somewhere but personal recommndations work best for me. One for starters although no longer a pub but a restaurant is the Beetle and Wedge at Mouslford - Great food and free overnight mooring although the food is moderately expensive (or was that the two bottles of wine /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) They were very friendly and accepted us a tad scruffy and with two kids in tow.

Others?

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
The Swan at Pangbourne did a very nice pint of Greene King IPA last May, so nice I bought quite a few:) Moorings are attached to the pub.
The Weir just above Sunbury Lock is pretty good but the excellent food is pricey. Moorings attached.
The Waterman's Arms in Eton is cheap, great range of usually well kept beers and a few moments stagger from The Brocas.
Tide End Cottage at Teddington is good for food but you need to walk over the footbridge from the Teddington moorings, if you see this as an issue.

nickcred

Visit site
you sound like a man after my own heart-

I cant remember the name of the pub in Henley that has a deck on the river but I think the 20 or so people who saw me knock into it when trying to back of the shallow public mooring and keep my Stern Drive intact will remember me.

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
The Angel or The Angel On The Bridge. Mooring dead simple for the very cunning:)

The Angel at Henley.jpg

There is about 1.2m of watre if you are careful: the Seamaster has her props in the deepest bit. 2 hours maximum per the EA and we just fit in.

Hirdsp

Visit site
I went to the Angel last year....never again. Plastic cuttelry, paper plates, chicken in a basket at a high price! I still like the George and Dragon at Wargrave with a few moorings or the Ferry is excellent downstream around 1 mile.

Steve Clayton

www.aloeland.co.uk
Approaching Clifton Lock going upstream. Take the channel to the left and go up to The Plough at Wittenham. If moorings look full then raft up.

or go through Clifton; see the pull in on the left. Moor up and cross the bridge to The Red Lion.

Moor up on Pangbourne Meadows and walk through to the village. Turn right and cross the toll bridge. 2 good pubs

Shillingford Bridge Hotel might look pretentious but it isn't. Park up and have a bar meal; order the papers you want for the following morning.

Rose Revived is a good pub with moorings. Gave me some cheese one evening and I caught a nice sized chub.

Got loads more but that's enough for the moment

rickp

Visit site
George and Dragon has been ruined in my view. Used to go there quite a bit, but successive "makeovers" and the accompanying price hikes (along with the banishing of families to the few tables on the far side "because kids can't be in the bar") finally did it for us. We can get the same Brake Bros (or whoever it is) menu quite a bit closer to home if we really desire.

Rick

miket

Visit site
If you try No.1, Plough at Long Whittenham, just be very careful of depth. I took a 3ft draft boat up 2 years ago and dinged the prop going up and bent it to unusable on the way down. Both occasions I was pretty well dead centre.

byron

RIP
Visit site
The Plough at Long Wittenham... one of the few remaining good old fashioned riverside Pubs, good grub at sensible prices, Aunt Sally and an area for the kids. Now for the bad news. Mel is leaving next year /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Steve Clayton

www.aloeland.co.uk
Sorry to hear that. Our boat on the Thames was a 24' Eastwood (Nenesse) so less than 2' draft. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Lots of other boozers eg: park up opposite Andrew at Moulsford and walk through to South Stoke to "The Perch"

Moorings at Goring - one hundred yards walk and you are in the Millers Arms.

As I said - got lots more!!

One tip for fishing on the Thames. If you are moored on a bank where a club/or whatever have fishing rights you can legally fish from your boat for nothing (assuming you have the normal licence you get from the Post Office). Exception is Abingdon where the Local Authority own the river bed so you will have to pay.

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Lots of other boozers eg: park up opposite Andrew at Moulsford and walk through to South Stoke to "The Perch"

Moorings at Goring - one hundred yards walk and you are in the Millers Arms.

As I said - got lots more!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Funnily enough the river bank opposite Sheridan Marine is owned by Sheridan Thynne the nephew of the Marquis of Bath, he lives in South Stoke just 3 doors from me. If you ask if you can moor there he will say NO!. However if you just moor he says nothing. The Perch & Pike's food has improved of late but it was appalling for a long while. For my money the Beetle & Wedge is nicer. As regards Goring, great moorings and a whole load of places to eat. Avoid the Miller though - plastic food. The new Indian next to the Chemists shop is sensational. I been there with Indians and even they say its great.
I'm surprised that Mike took injury to his prop. The channel to the Plough is shallow but it is soft mud, must have been something in there. Mel has nagged and nagged the EA to dredge it... but guess what... the haven't. In the latter part of the season so many boats have been there they have self-dredged.