I want to sail the world - where do I start?

Wansworth

Visit site
As long as you have the length to lie down in,sit on the bunk and brew a cup of tea over a gas burner have a bucket that you can sit on you can survive quite happily,lived on an 18footer one winter and cruised a summer in a 15 footer

Kelpie

Visit site
An ideal little starter boat and probably a gift for the money especially if you can get a few quid extra knocked off . . . . . Are you sure Kelpie:unsure: ?

Totally sure! If I was going for the hard sell, I would tell the OP about my 33ft boat which has just gone on the market, well within his budget, masses of space for a singlehander, lifting keel which would let him do the canals, legs for his beaching idea.... hmmm come to think of it maybe I should :D :D

crazyguy40

Visit site
By the way my suggestion of a micro-cruiser would be something along the lines of this: Micro Gem 550 for sale UK, Micro boats for sale, Micro used boat sales, Micro Sailing Yachts For Sale MICRO GEM 18FT CRUSIER RACER LIFT KEEL - Apollo Duck
Still light enough to tow behind your camper, but self-righting and it would allow you to start cruising straight away, spending a few nights aboard. A dinghy would be a bit cheaper and a bit lighter, so easier to launch/recover etc, but I get the impression you're going to want to actually get a taste of the cruising lifestyle sooner rather than later.

A micro-cruiser sounds like it may be a good compromise. I can tow a lot with my camper, as it's actually a converted 4x4. I think the maximum tow is about 3500kg . I suppose the only thing with a micro-cruiser is the risk of theft when on the road. If I parked my camper up, is a micro-cruiser the sort of thing thieves would unhitch from my vehicle and make off with?

Secondly what is the safe capability of something like the Micro Gem 550? Is it the sort of thing you could head to France in for a few days, before heading back? Or is that way beyond the safe capabilities of something like this?

Kelpie

Visit site
A micro-cruiser sounds like it may be a good compromise. I can tow a lot with my camper, as it's actually a converted 4x4. I think the maximum tow is about 3500kg . I suppose the only thing with a micro-cruiser is the risk of theft when on the road. If I parked my camper up, is a micro-cruiser the sort of thing thieves would unhitch from my vehicle and make off with?

Secondly what is the safe capability of something like the Micro Gem 550? Is it the sort of thing you could head to France in for a few days, before heading back? Or is that way beyond the safe capabilities of something like this?

I wouldn't be any more worried about the safety of a micro cruiser than I would be about a sailing dinghy. The most vulnerable bit would be the outboard, which you could keep in your vehicle. You could always get a wheel clamp or hitch lock if you were concerned.

I may be wrong about this, but I believe the Gem 550 is an example of the 'Micro Cup' class of boats which were raced across the Atlantic. So, yes, you could easily take one to France. The limitation on longer trips will probably come down to how much food and water you can carry on such a small boat. It can also be a struggle to keep your bedding and spare clothing dry when you have such a small space to live in. But it could be an awful lot of fun.

There are quite a few of these tiny cruisers around, and they come in different flavours. Something like a Leisure 17 would be more sedate to sail, but they are cheap as chips and surprisingly roomy inside. Or a Hawk 20 with a cabin, supposedly sail very fast but miniscule accommodation. Weights will vary from about half a tonne to over a tonne.

Trailer sailing, especially singlehaded, does bring its own problems of course. A lightweight dinghy can be manually wheeled down the slipway and launched, which is pretty hassle free. For anything heavier, you'll need to use the van to launch it, and then secure the boat somewhere afloat whilst you park up the van and trailer.

cherod

Visit site
i dont get the attraction on sailing / living on /travelling in these small boats,, sailing should be enjoyed, not endured .

crazyguy40

Visit site
Trailer sailing, especially singlehaded, does bring its own problems of course. A lightweight dinghy can be manually wheeled down the slipway and launched, which is pretty hassle free. For anything heavier, you'll need to use the van to launch it, and then secure the boat somewhere afloat whilst you park up the van and trailer.

Does that mean I would be resigned to paying launch fees, or are there ways around this? My camper is a converted 4x4, so may be able to be more flexible with launch sites.

Kelpie

Visit site
Does that mean I would be resigned to paying launch fees, or are there ways around this? My camper is a converted 4x4, so may be able to be more flexible with launch sites.
Depends entirely on where you are launching. Lots of free options. The main point is that it won't make a huge difference if it's a dinghy or a micro cruiser.

MarkCX

Visit site
A smaller boat properly set up for cruising is possibly the way to go. In some respects cheaper and easier to run and maintain as well as the cost of buying it in the first place - this could extend the duration of your trip. If you’re prepared to do without a few creature comforts, which I expect you are if you’re prepared to live in a converted 4x4, even more so. You’re on your own and very unlikely to need space for anyone else! I’ve lived aboard a 23 footer for the last 6 months, although not sailed far, and it’s plenty of room for me (also on the spectrum and don’t need company). Wouldn’t necessarily recommend 23’ for ocean crossing, but you get the idea about size. Mind you, people have done it in smaller...

Last edited:

Kelpie

Visit site
What are the free options? I looked on Boatlaunch and there does not look to be much free at all.

I've launched boats many times from various locations and have never, ever, had to pay a penny. I know of a couple of locations near me which, according to that website, are supposed to have a notional charge, but nobody ever asks for it and nobody ever pays it. Obviously I'm up in the north of Scotland and it may be different down south.

crazyguy40

Visit site
A smaller boat properly set up for cruising is possibly the way to go. In some respects cheaper and easier to run and maintain as well as the cost of buying it in the first place - this could extend the duration of your trip. If you’re prepared to do without a few creature comforts, which I expect you are if you’re prepared to live in a converted 4x4, even more so.

I think you and Kelpie have persuaded me! I think a micro-cruiser is the way to go. Even if I got an 18ft one, it would enable me to camp out in it for a few days and really get a feel for being on the water. Weather permitting, I could even split my time between the camper and the boat. If I went for something like the Gem 550, it's pretty cheap at £2000 and I would not have to eat into any of my 30k of savings.

Out of interest is it the first time you have lived on a boat and are you in a marina / paid mooring?

nortada

Visit site
Some people overseas are so fed-up with the way things are going, they are giving their boats away to a good home or just walking away.

There was a thread on here on this a few weeks back.

Remember, it is not the buying but the longer term maintaining/running that costs.

MarkCX

Visit site
This is the first time I’ve spent this long on the boat in one go, but I spend a lot of time on here anyway. I do have a ‘home’ to go to, but this suits me at the moment. It’s a paid for mooring in a tidal muddy creek.

crazyguy40

Visit site
Remember, it is not the buying but the longer term maintaining/running that costs.

I fully understand, particularly as I have done a few vehicle restorations over the years. But I suppose that's another plus for having something that can be put on a tailor (also there is no need for mooring fees). I may be naive, but is the maintenance of something like the little Gem 550 going to be that much? Even a boat costing me 10k a year in maintenance is still good value, considering renting a house was costing me nearly 15k per year. Or am I missing something?

Kelpie

Visit site
I fully understand, particularly as I have done a few vehicle restorations over the years. But I suppose that's another plus for having something that can be put on a tailor (also there is no need for mooring fees). I may be naive, but is the maintenance of something like the little Gem 550 going to be that much? Even a boat costing me 10k a year in maintenance is still good value, considering renting a house was costing me nearly 15k per year. Or am I missing something?

I don't think a Micro Cruiser is a viable long term liveaboard option, you'd be much better off with your camper.
Maintenance of a tiny boat like that will be minimal. If you are trail sailing you won't even need to anti foul. The trailer and outboard will be the biggest maintenance worries and I bet you aren't phased by those.

Nb: micro cruisers are definitely a niche thing. Most people don't consider that level of comfort acceptable, and people looking for a small and simple boat usually just buy a dinghy. But it sounds like it could be a good for you

crazyguy40

Visit site
I don't think a Micro Cruiser is a viable long term liveaboard option, you'd be much better off with your camper.
Maintenance of a tiny boat like that will be minimal.

I am definitely going to keep the camper, not a chance of me selling it in a million years, even if I win the lottery! But I think splitting my time between my camper and a small boat, would be an excellent way to learn sailing and try out the lifestyle for real.

Seastoke

Visit site
I am definitely going to keep the camper, not a chance of me selling it in a million years, even if I win the lottery! But I think splitting my time between my camper and a small boat, would be an excellent way to learn sailing and try out the lifestyle for real.
How do you propose to , do basic things like shower laundry and keep warm on the boat , or even in your camper .

MarkCX

Visit site
For heating, a diesel heater is good, but having enough electricity in winter to power it could be tricky. Solar on a small boat probably won’t cope. And periodic charging with a small gennie has problems - keeping it dry and avoiding CO fumes.

Laundry - laundrette once a week isn’t too onerous.

Daily showering is very much overrated and unnecessary. We’re only a generation or two from a time when it was almost unheard of. Relatively easy to keep clean and fresh without.

crazyguy40

Visit site
I completely agree with Mark that daily showering is unnecessary. I actually do wild swimming throughout the year and rarely shower. As for washing clothes, there are plenty of options with laundrettes. I have just come back from a camping holiday in Ireland, and even many of the petrol stations had Laundrettes. As for heating, it's something I need to look into, although plenty of warm clothes goes a long way!