I think I'm nearly ready

oGaryo

Visit site
Have walked 30 miles this week and cycled 80 with the longest of those rides today being 54 miles, not far off the 68 we'll do on the day.. I do believe I might be getting close to being ready for the ride :)

bloody chuffin sodding head wind was a killer for the last 30 miles so really got my fingers crossed we don't have that on the 6th June

This place was nice:

10408770_10203863673052153_6912428433171775797_n.jpg

but this place in Winslow was nicer after 40 miles of peddling

10678554_10203863994180181_8670636166591517142_n.jpg

z1ppy

Visit site
Good effort gary,

Did 43 miles this morning and the last 10 were a pain into the wind, total for this week is just shy of 95. Feeling bushed now but couple more weeks like this and should be good to go!

rafiki_

Visit site
I only managed 30 this morning. The last 12 were straight into the wind. It was very hard. I am way off being prepared for this ride, and won't get any straining in this week, as orf to the States for the week. Booger. My goal is to ride for 2 hours without a stop. I am a good half hour away from this, and legs gave up after about 25 miles, so quite a lot to do. The physio is making slow progress on my back, but when the pain really kicks in, it kills my quads.
Nice pics btw Gary. Perhaps we could meet up on a Sat, halfway between thee an me?

P4Paul

Visit site
Just got back from doing 46 miles, still not fully worked out the Garmin and keep forgetting to press start!
First 15 miles were lovely, last 10 were fighting the wind and now I hurt.

A month ago I couldn't do 20, next week should see me break 50 and only plan to stop once in the middle.

Finally feeling like things have progressed but I haven't lost any weight since New Years day!

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Started to notice a slight improvement in my speed recently. Easier to get the miles in now that the evenings are lighter and there has been a big jump in mileages on Strava over last couple of weeks.
Think I need to put in a couple more 40 miles plus rides now. Actually enjoying some of the training.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Great to hear you all reporting continued improvement, and even better to hear that you are enjoying it still!

Its amazing how the effort does pay back in terms of pace and comfort.... but worth remembering that its also paying you back in terms of heart rate, blood pressure and body fat... great aint it!!!! :D

One of the things I love about cycling is that a 2 hr stint can actually see you get places, which makes it a lot more fun than running.

z1ppy

Visit site
Ok so i got on the scales this morning.... i have dropped 8 lbs since i really started upping the weekly mileage from 20 ish to 60 ish.

I really notice the difference in speed and distance in my morning ride before work or if riding after work. 11 miles at 5.50 in the morning is hard work, 25 miles after work is much easier!

legs are still aching from Saturdays "long" ride but looking back, 2 hours 50 with no stops was quite an achievement for me. will try again for a 50 miler this weekend coming.

i do get bored tho! the countryside is lovely but 3 hours + with your own thoughts only can get dangerous! coming up with all sorts of stupid plans and ideas!

rafiki_

Visit site
Well, just 1 week to go, and I think I'm looking forward to it? I still haven't found a solution to the back ache, which comes on usually just before 1 hour, and needs 2-3 mins to relax and then continue. I think the fitness is ok, have ridden over 100 miles this week in 4 rides, and plan a longish one tomorrow, then either 1 short ride, or nothing at all during the week. Plans to get down to Penton Hook took a bit of a bash this week, as I hear that the wonderful rail drivers are going to strike, and I have pre bought my ticket!
Will buy a spare inner tube this week and give the bike a final once over.
Does anyone know what Trevor is planning with the "back-up" vehicle? What will he be carrying? Other than a tool kit, saddle pump, first aid kit, drinking water. Any other thoughts?

P4Paul

Visit site
not wanting to peek too early, we went off today for a spin through the Hampshire hills. Enjoyed the first 40 odd miles, the last 15 miles was a bit hard culminating with being knocked into the hedge by a knobhead in a people carrier 2 miles away from home!

They slowed down to see if I moved and then just drove off, probably best as I was ready to rip their head off.

Anyway, just over 55 miles at just under 12 mph average. Tired, a bit sore but happy that I am in good enough shape to cope with next Saturday.

rafiki_

Visit site
not wanting to peek too early, we went off today for a spin through the Hampshire hills. Enjoyed the first 40 odd miles, the last 15 miles was a bit hard culminating with being knocked into the hedge by a knobhead in a people carrier 2 miles away from home!

They slowed down to see if I moved and then just drove off, probably best as I was ready to rip their head off.

Anyway, just over 55 miles at just under 12 mph average. Tired, a bit sore but happy that I am in good enough shape to cope with next Saturday.
Yes, there are some crazy people out there, but hood to hear no lasting damage! I was nearly taken out by a Porsche overtaking at the wrong time yesterday. Twits on motorbikes can be incredibly thoughtless too.

Anyway, it sounds like you had a jolly good ride, apart from the idiot. Well done.

oGaryo

Visit site

Nice one Paul, that's a good distance at a good average speed given the hilly bits.. you'll have no problems with the ride on the day.. bet you feel rightly chuffed with yourself if you cast you mind back a few months to what you were able to do then :encouragement: