I Have Shaved Her Flange (Pictures)

Lakesailor

Visit site
In response to the encouragement to de-nude my casing I have ground off the flange. I must say it looks neater.
I will leave it at that for the moment. I did have thoughts of cladding the lower part in some hardwood trim pieces. But maybe that's for another day.

Before

Interiorpainted04.jpg

After

Flangeremoved01.jpg

Flangeremoved04.jpg

prv

Visit site
Much better.

I've never seen a centreboard arrangement like that before. Presumably to raise it you sort of lift and lever the metal strap against the edge of the hole?

Pete

Lakesailor

Visit site
Much better.

I've never seen a centreboard arrangement like that before. Presumably to raise it you sort of lift and lever the metal strap against the edge of the hole?

Pete
Yep, you lift it to vertical and lower the centreboard until the hoop rests on the casing. (Not that I have actually done it yet. Maybe push it into the lake next week)

sarabande

Visit site
Nice touch, Lakey, converting her to a Ketch as well, but doesn't the new mizzen mast block access to the drinks cabinet in the stern ?

MrB

Visit site
You need to be careful Lakey, i think they are clamping down on "Flange Mutilation" in the UK.;)

Lakesailor

Visit site
Nice touch, Lakey, converting her to a Ketch as well, but doesn't the new mizzen mast block access to the drinks cabinet in the stern ?
I haven't quite worked out how to get the tiller to work with the mizzen mast in place. Perhaps a U-shaped bend in it or maybe just use it as a prop to hold up the windsurfer mast I put the tarp over.

prv

Visit site
I haven't quite worked out how to get the tiller to work with the mizzen mast in place. Perhaps a U-shaped bend in it or maybe just use it as a prop to hold up the windsurfer mast I put the tarp over.

Well, some people seem to manage with a U-bend:

tiller-600x450.jpg

Although from what I see on Google, the Americans tend to prefer a wooden hoop:

RudderTillerFinished.jpg

Pete

Lakesailor

Visit site
Although from what I see on Google, the Americans tend to prefer a wooden hoop:

RudderTillerFinished.jpg

Pete
Yanks. Huh?
Not only has he designed (?) an inelegant solution to the tiller problem, he has also designed a shin-cracking trailer with (hopefully) waterproof lights.