I did get to my boat in the Med this year

Forty_Two

Visit site
Just returned after 85 very lovely days on my boat, drove down using the tunnel,

Absolutely no issues at customs either way. Only question asked was on the way back at the UK border & that was when did I leave the UK.

The French didn't stamp my passport going in or out. I was a bit concerned that would be an issue when leaving France but not queried at all. They took a few minutes with the passport going in & out so I assume they have already initiated their database checking at the tunnel.

I took a Qured LFD test with me, did a video call with them the day before coming back. Piece of cake, great system & no searching for somewhere local. Needs good Internet though.

I found everyone as friendly as ever in France, no animosity whatsoever. From a Covid point of view, apart from in the supermarket where masks were obligatory, you wouldn’t know Covid was about. I loaded the French “TousAntiCovid” app & scanned in my UK Vacc QR codes which were then recognised by the supermarket entry scanner people.

Groups of folks everywhere, packed boats off for day trips, hugging & kissing all as usual. I decided to only anchor this year having experienced the lack of social distancing etc last year. My late wife could never take anchoring in the Med, too much movement as it’s so busy. So I now have a new freedom to explore (as the song says, you got to look on the bright side).

Having been inspired by Hurricane & his solar escapade, I fitted 300w this year on top of my bimimi. What a revelation, cut my geny run time from 3 hours to 1.5h each morning & ending up with full batteries ready for the evening. Will increase it to 450w next year. Maybe my 14 year old Lifeline 1,100Ah AGM’s have another year or two in them yet. They still seem to have around 600Ah capacity which is amazing. Inverter on all night with 12” desk fan & anti mosquito plug-ins no problem,

Mounted & ready to lift the bimimi fully up
2021-07-15 11.12.35.jpg

I spent the first three weeks fettling my 52 year old wooden boat but I really missed getting down in March/April when I normally do my fitout work. It was much harder working outside in the heat, but nothing beats varnishing on a lovely sunny morning with no wind. At least I have good AirCon for when I was working inside. No lift out this year, I only lift every other year so my local diver changed the anodes, cleaned the underwater metalwork & checked the hull & fittings.

2021-06-21 11.52.15.jpg

Considering it was nearly nine months since my last visit it was good to have no issues due to the lack of visits. Bilge pump didn’t run at all. Everything worked, even the electric toilets! Anyone who says preventative maintenance doesn’t pay is nuts! Got to keep on top of it all.

I was grateful for my Raspberry Pi boat monitoring system during this time, knowing everything was ok. Getting a daily email with lots of data & pics was very reassuring. Having added the solar system I have left one panel on the fore-cabin & I can remotely enable the Victron solar charger if the shorepower goes off for any reason. My residual 12v needs are 1.1A so it would cover a prolonged power outage.

I seemed to have reached the point after all these years that I become part of the boat when manoeuvring, which is as well considering I have no bow thruster. I realised I don’t think about it but just seem to feel it. But Grand Banks are steady (20 tons) when manoeuvring as long as you understand what the wind will do to you. At least there is no current to take into account, unlike when we were in Jersey haha. So no disasters leaving or arriving at my berth single handed.

Furthest I got was Porquerolles, down Bouba's way which was as lovely as ever. Anyway now the important bit, some pics:
First trip, just love the Pink rocks in the Esterel
2021-07-18 10.37.27.jpg
Agay a favourite of mine
2021-07-18 11.50.05.jpg2021-07-18 21.37.15.jpg
2021-07-18 21.37.29.jpg
Not bad for 52 years
2021-07-19 16.23.13.jpg
2021-07-19 16.42.16.jpg

Moving on
2021-07-20 09.41.24.jpg

Pampelonne beach, always lots of biggies
2021-07-20 10.01.50.jpg

More to come......

kashurst

Visit site
Lovely pics - looks like you had great weather. I try not to do any jobs in the summer these days. I now take the view unless it is urgent I can live without whatever it is until the autumn. (new nav lights and a reluctant generator at the moment) How easy/hard is it owning a 52 year old wooden boat?

Forty_Two

Visit site
Lovely pics - looks like you had great weather. I try not to do any jobs in the summer these days. I now take the view unless it is urgent I can live without whatever it is until the autumn. (new nav lights and a reluctant generator at the moment) How easy/hard is it owning a 52 year old wooden boat?
Haha, its easy as long as you're besotted with the boat & have lots of time. You obviously need a reasonable annual budget but we will ignore that. Realistically you do need to be able to do most of the work yourself.

The underwater hull is no problem, had to replace the odd plank over the years but only due to electrolysis in way of the seacocks. Took the bonding off them years ago which put a stop to that. Used a pro for those jobs.

Its very rewarding though. Also having low tech engines i escape all the modern issues & have no trouble looking after them. I did install new Perkins/Sabre M135's in 2000.

Having owned her since 1987 (2nd owner) i have replaced most things a couple of times now. I am a believer in buy the right thing & the right quality to last. Don't mind re-visiting jobs but want as long a gap as possible.

Goodroaming

Visit site
Lovely pics and boat. Must have felt great to finally get away. Quest from a noob- where do you keep your boat (if u care to disclose) and what made you choose there? What hp engine (or two) would be the safest level for the Med (we also want to explore the canals for 1/2 to 3/4 time for the first 2-3 seasons). And in appreciation of your late wife, what boat features would help with things being less rolly- even in the med? Thanks.

Bouba

Visit site
Hi Forty_Two
Took this photo just now

I was quite surprised to see them still here a week later. In fact there was twice as many. But it’s thinned out this afternoon, perhaps they are out playing or going home. After lunch today they had their prize giving. And then they all sounded their horns! My dog was not impressed ?. The boat next to us have a lovely malinois dog?

Forty_Two

Visit site
A sight to gladden my heart ?

We always get a plaque after each event to mount inside somewhere. Normally lasts about a week with excursions etc. One year we were taken inside the new Digue at Monaco just after it had been moored in the harbour, then lunch at the Yacht Club, very civilised. Always a bit of a laugh.

Forty_Two

Visit site
Lovely pics and boat. Must have felt great to finally get away. Quest from a noob- where do you keep your boat (if u care to disclose) and what made you choose there? What hp engine (or two) would be the safest level for the Med (we also want to explore the canals for 1/2 to 3/4 time for the first 2-3 seasons). And in appreciation of your late wife, what boat features would help with things being less rolly- even in the med? Thanks.
The last bit is easy, Fin Stabilisers, best 20 grand (2002) I ever spent from my marriage point of view (lasted 46 years) ??

I would advise you start a seperate thread for advice, so many variables, but masses of experienced folks doing it every way possible on this forum. I'm near Cannes, why, because a friend had a boat in the area & knew a broker who arranged the berth (we bought a lease).

Edit: oops married 46 not 36 years ?

Last edited:

Goodroaming

Visit site
The last bit is easy, Fin Stabilisers, best 20 grand (2002) I ever spent from my marriage point of view (lasted 36 years) ??

I would advise you start a seperate thread for advice, so many variables, but masses of experienced folks doing it every way possible on this forum. I'm near Cannes, why, because a friend had a boat in the area & knew a broker who arranged the berth (we bought a lease).
?will look out for good stabilizers. Yes, I will prob have to start a thread, its just nice to message with someone with experience in that locale. Nice to have your own berth.

Portofino

Visit site
Busy Sunday out today .
D1367724-D1AD-437E-BAFD-FCC4E6E0A5D7.jpeg
1B5A790A-D44B-4A8C-BA67-FD8F71A24FA2.jpeg
DFCF4150-63D7-4138-A7BC-FC4973614DDA.jpeg
The marinas busier too .Not many empty berths it’s pretty full .The Staycation effect for Italians .
Weathers been fab thus far in Sept .We have had the ( super silent ) air con on each night though .
Still awaiting for something to go pop / bust ……..been a lean repair / renewal season thus far .

What ever the yard ( Amico ) put on the stern gear this season last May has worked a treat .
Eased up to 1800 rpm as it only 77 % load and the boat sits at 30 knots .

Played dodgems with sail boats and pots and even floating seagulls …..yeh they are white and could be a 1/2 arse pot marker so I have to turn away .Hard work razzing along at this speed guys .