Hythe Sailing Club

Wandering Star

Visit site
Anyone a member of this club? I’m thinking of applying for membership and hopefully be allocated use one of their moorings. What’s it like on a social level, friendly & welcoming or a bit stand offish? the social side is more important for my wife’s benefit and I’m wondering if it’s easy going or stuffy?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I was a briefly a member about 15 years ago. I found the people I met there pleasant, very down to earth, and not at all stuffy.

I didn't have any significant involvement on the social side of things, though.

We had a mooring there but found it very uncomfortable, and ended up renting another mooring elsewhere. It was probably not the same for all the moorings, as many boats and owners had been there a long time. We had a very small boat at the time (17ft bilge keeler) so were well inshore. The tide meant we were almost always facing up or down the river, and the wash from the numerous ferries and other traffic would set us rolling uncomfortably. I suspect that the shallow water and rising slope of the bottom where our mooring was amplified the wash, and that had we been further out it may well not have been a problem.

Stemar

Visit site
I don't know anything about Hythe but, if my club, and another I looked at last year, both in Portsmouth Harbour, are anything to go by, joining for a mooring isn't the best plan. By all means join for other things, but moorings are in short supply and in great demand. You could be waiting years

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
Not Hythe but I have been a member at Marchwood Yacht Club and Southampton Sailing club for many years and I know the area and Hythe club. (I think you need to have your own boat trailer to be pulled out; check it out). The moorings are a bit exposed to the wash from the ships but this is a small price to pay for access to Southampton water and the Solent. You should be able to find a mooring in Hythe or at one of the clubs around Southampton

C08

Visit site
I have visited Marchwood a couple of times, staying on their pontoon and found the members I met both helpful and pleasant. Clubs are quite sensitive to new members joining just to get a cheap mooring and not getting involved in club sailing and social events, just something to be aware of when talking to them. Good luck with your search for a new home.

Dunx

Visit site
I’ve been a member at Hythe and found them to be a very friendly and helpful club. It’s very much a self help club so you will be expected to chip in to help keep things going, buts that how you make friends.