Hydrovane wanted

Pagetslady

Visit site
May I add a bit of balance regarding three points (after all this was my thread): the HV rudder when not in use can be removed and stowed aboard.
All the HV setups that failed in the GGR had been crudely modified by the owners for reasons better known to themselves.
And finally the second-hand prices for HV systems are nowhere near that.
I have almost finished my second-hand install… brackets ready on transom- still looking for second-hand “L” shaft and latest size rudder : may need to buy these new before I set off for long trips (but was able to sell the short shaft and earlier version rudder for decent amount of cash).
Worth noting that the aftersales and technical advice from HV is second to none!
Is your old shaft the new size I believe more resent one are slightly bigger dia but if yours is older will the bigger shaft for the fittings at the top and bushes etc also a new rudder will need a bigger hole to accommodate the larger shaft. I have an old model on my W Corsair I enjoy using mine even cruising locally. Also have a tiller pilot attached it the main drive should pack up.Mike

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
An interesting thread and I admit to being a Hydrovane owner and user. Only thing I take issue with are statements like ‘a SM is considerably superior in almost every respect’. It isn’t. In fact in some aspects (like no lines to our centre cockpit wheel) the HV is superior. A week or two ago our HV steered us downwind with remarkable accuracy for 2700 miles in varying conditions. I’m sure a SM could have done the same but whether it would have been better is a moot point. HV’s can be offset huge amounts. Look at the pictures on their website.
I’ve no great axe to grind either way but I do get annoyed by blanket claims that are patently not true.