Hydrovane wanted

Lucky_Jack

Visit site
I have a Hydrovane which I am looking to sell later this year. I could put some details together - if you are still looking please PM.

Marco64

Visit site
Lucky Jack thank you- yes please do provide info. I don’t seem to find a PM button… my mobile is 07766 057847 if you could text / whatsapp / as you prefer it would be great!
Regards

Goldie

Visit site
Lucky Jack thank you- yes please do provide info. I don’t seem to find a PM button… my mobile is 07766 057847 if you could text / whatsapp / as you prefer it would be great!
Regards

Marco64, I don’t think you’ll have access to sending PMs yet as I think you need a few posts to your name first - maybe as few as half a dozen? Hydrovane is great, we wouldn’t be without ours.

Marco64

Visit site
Thank you Slowboat,
My main driver is the secondary means of steering, completely independent of my HR36 rudder/wheel.

dbodingbauer

Visit site
Do you really want a hydrovane?
Why?
I have an unused Sailomat 601 that is condiderably superior in almost all respects.
Hallo Slowboat35, would appreciate if you can list the difference and benefits of Sailomat 601 compared to Hydrovane. Thanks in advance / Dieter

eebygum

Visit site
Hallo Slowboat35, would appreciate if you can list the difference and benefits of Sailomat 601 compared to Hydrovane. Thanks in advance / Dieter
I had a Sailomat 601 for a number of years; great piece of kit which when correctly set-up and as good as other Servo-Pendulum systems (Monitor, Aeries, Wind Pilot) but there are some fundamental differences compared to a Hydrovane:

-Both are servo pendulum systems but the HV operates with the rudder tied off (ie the tiller or wheel is locked so it cannot move) and the dedicated HV rudder steers the boat
-Because of the above the HV has less lines running through the cockpit which some people prefer, particularly if you have a center cockpit
-The 601 has its servo blade at an angle, whilst the HV is vertical; this is very helpful to stop the blade getting caught-up in weed
-The HV can generally be mounted more off-center than the 601 design
-The 601 blade can be swung up into the vertical position for storage/when not in use; this is very helpful when maneuvering in marinas and motoring
-HV can operate as an emergency auxiliary rudder, the 601 does not
-HV is still in production and spares available 601 is not
-A good secondhand 601 maybe found for between £1500 - £2000; a HV could be double this
-HV are generally considered to be a more long ocean going windvane; ie it is certified for use in the GGR but the Sailomat systems are not. They do need to be installed correctly however (a couple of the GGR entrants have had issues as a result of the way the HV systems have

and finally you will find as many people will swear each is better than the other.... The size of your boat, cockpit layout, wheel or tiller, cruising area (e.g downwind trades, coastal or ocean sailing), rudder (skeg, transom hung etc) and finally budget will all make a difference to your choice.

Marco64

Visit site
May I add a bit of balance regarding three points (after all this was my thread): the HV rudder when not in use can be removed and stowed aboard.
All the HV setups that failed in the GGR had been crudely modified by the owners for reasons better known to themselves.
And finally the second-hand prices for HV systems are nowhere near that.
I have almost finished my second-hand install… brackets ready on transom- still looking for second-hand “L” shaft and latest size rudder : may need to buy these new before I set off for long trips (but was able to sell the short shaft and earlier version rudder for decent amount of cash).
Worth noting that the aftersales and technical advice from HV is second to none!

eebygum

Visit site
May I add a bit of balance regarding three points (after all this was my thread): the HV rudder when not in use can be removed and stowed aboard.
All the HV setups that failed in the GGR had been crudely modified by the owners for reasons better known to themselves.
And finally the second-hand prices for HV systems are nowhere near that.
I have almost finished my second-hand install… brackets ready on transom- still looking for second-hand “L” shaft and latest size rudder : may need to buy these new before I set off for long trips (but was able to sell the short shaft and earlier version rudder for decent amount of cash).
Worth noting that the aftersales and technical advice from HV is second to none!
Hi, I thought my review was balanced but for the the avoidance of doubt; if I had a choice I would buy a HV ?

Slowboat35

Visit site
Dieter, additional points I'd mention...

- SailoMat can be used as an emergency rudder with a larger blade that slips over the existing one. I've never actully seen one but they may be available second-hand, and making one would not be beyond the ability of a reasonably capable DIYer.
- SM works fine off-centre, and considerably off centre too. I'd be very surprised if HV was as good for that (due to the already small but now much dimnished forces it can apply to the water on one tack)
- Servo Pendulum is by nature a FAR more powerful means of steering a boat than an Aux Rudder system thus has a faster and more positive response and the boat is less likely to 'get away' from it's authority.
- Servo pendulum works FAR better downwind, especially in low relative windspeeds where an AR system becomes less and less effective and has much better steering authority in light airs in general due to the vastly larger corrective forces available - so it's much safer to use with a spinaker which with an aux rudder can be pretty risky. (SP systems are powered by boat speed, wind is only used to 'signal' the correction so wind speed is not critical. AR systems depend on wind force alone on the vane to correct the steering, so on a fast-moving boat in low relative wind - ie downwind - where rudder corrections need to be forceful it has little power to do anything at all. Even in strong wind the forces derived from the vane are not large compared to the SP's blade being forcefully deflected by the slipstream of water) Oh, it'll work up to a point as long as everything is kept closely in balance but the boat can get away from it more easily.
- SP systems do not suit all boats or all users. Leading lines to a tiller is usually dead easy, a wheel is a bit more complex and a centre cockpit can make it very difficult/impractical to set up. Some people object to lines across the cockpit.
- SM detaches entirely from transom in moments if required, HV cannot be easily removed.
- HV rudder 'can' be removed but you need to either swim, use a dinghy or be backed up to a dock to do it.

I don't know who considers the SM as not an ocean going windvane. That's news to the thousands of ocean crossings they've made over several decades
SM is only not approved for the GGR because it didn't exist in 1968 or whenever the technology was frozen.

eebygum, I'm intrigued that you now assert that a good Sailomat can be had for £1500 - 2000. So how come you scoffed at me three weeks ago for asking that amount and scornfully tried to kid me my as-new one was only worth £500? Trying it on yorkshire style, were we?

Last edited:

eebygum

Visit site
Additional points I'd mention...
Sailomat can be used as an emergency rudder with a larger blade that slips over the existing one. I've never seen one but they may be available second-hand, and making one would not be beyond the ability of a reasonably capable DIYer.
SM works fine off-centre, and considerably off centre too. I'd be astonished if HV was as good for that (due to the already small but now much dimnished forces it can apply to the water)
Servo Pendulum is by nature a FAR more powerful means of steering a boat than an aux rudder system thus has a faster and more positive response.
Servo pendulum works FAR better downwind, especially in low relative windspeeds where an AR system is all but useless and is much better in light airs in general due to the vastly larger corrective forces available - so much safer to use with a spinaker which with an aux rudder can be pretty risky. (SP systems are powered by boat speed, wind is only used to 'signal' the correction so wind spped is not all that important. AR systems use wind force on the vane alone to correct the steering, so on a fast-moving boat in low relative wind - ie downwind - where rudder corrections need to be forceful it has little power to do anything. Even in strong wind the forces derived from the vane are not large compared to the SP's blade being deflected by the slipstream of water)
SP systems do not suit all boats or all users. Leading lines to a tiller is usually dead easy, a wheel is a bit more complex and a centre cockpit can make it very difficult/impractical to set up. Some people object to lines across the cockpit.
SM detaches entirely from transom in moments if required, HV cannot be easily removed.
HV rudder 'can' be removed but you need to either swim, use a dinghy or be backed up to a dock to do it.
I don't know who considers the SM as not an ocean going windvane. That's news to the thousands of ocean crossings they've made over several decades
SM is only not approved for the GGR because it didn't exist in 1966 or whenever the technology was frozen.

eebygum, I'm intrigued that you now say a good Sailomat can be had for £1500 - 2000. So how come you scoffed at me three weeks ago for asking that and tried to tell me my as-new one was only worth £500? Trying it on yorkshire style, were we?
Slowboat by name… slow reader by nature; like I said in the conclusion of my comment… “finally you will find as many people will swear each is better than the other”

Slowboat35

Visit site
eebygum, the comments I made are simply neutral statements of fact as anyone capable of reading and understanding plain English, or who is familiar with wind vane systems can clearly see. I currently use a Hydrovane and am happy with it. I am not currently using my Sailomat as it does not suit my boat.

And while on the ticklish subject of 'facts', I note with astonishment that you stated in your post #12 that both Hydrovane and Sailomat are servo-pendulum systems!
-Both are servo pendulum systems but the HV operates with the rudder tied off...
That'll be unexpected news to the people who make or use Hydrovanes!
I thought you claimed to know about windvane steering? Clearly one or other of us is completely wrong...

Finally, before you go slagging me off in such a wet attempt to evade the embarrassing question, perhaps you'd have the common decency to actually answer it? £500, eh?

Last edited:

eebygum

Visit site
eebygum, the comments I made are simply neutral statements of fact as anyone capable of reading and understanding plain English, or who is familiar with wind vane systems can clearly see. ......
I graciously admit to making a typo that the HV was servo-pendulum, I was clearly wrong. Thank you for the correction

In the same spirit of correcting neutral statements of fact, your comment that Sailomat is not approved by the GGR because it didn't exist in 1968 or whenever the technology was froze is incorrect. It's not an Approved design as its not demonstrated on GGR style boats, in the Southern Ocean for 30,000 miles, the unit will keep operating.

The sour grapes you continue spitting out here are because I politely declined to raise my offer and pay £2000 for your Sailomat. I suggest you go back and re-read the personal correspondence between us at the time and take-up your grievance there.

I've moved on and bought a Navik which I'm very happy with and I propose to leave this thread at that.

dbodingbauer

Visit site
I had a Sailomat 601 for a number of years; great piece of kit which when correctly set-up and as good as other Servo-Pendulum systems (Monitor, Aeries, Wind Pilot) but there are some fundamental differences compared to a Hydrovane:

-Both are servo pendulum systems but the HV operates with the rudder tied off (ie the tiller or wheel is locked so it cannot move) and the dedicated HV rudder steers the boat
-Because of the above the HV has less lines running through the cockpit which some people prefer, particularly if you have a center cockpit
-The 601 has its servo blade at an angle, whilst the HV is vertical; this is very helpful to stop the blade getting caught-up in weed
-The HV can generally be mounted more off-center than the 601 design
-The 601 blade can be swung up into the vertical position for storage/when not in use; this is very helpful when maneuvering in marinas and motoring
-HV can operate as an emergency auxiliary rudder, the 601 does not
-HV is still in production and spares available 601 is not
-A good secondhand 601 maybe found for between £1500 - £2000; a HV could be double this
-HV are generally considered to be a more long ocean going windvane; ie it is certified for use in the GGR but the Sailomat systems are not. They do need to be installed correctly however (a couple of the GGR entrants have had issues as a result of the way the HV systems have

and finally you will find as many people will swear each is better than the other.... The size of your boat, cockpit layout, wheel or tiller, cruising area (e.g downwind trades, coastal or ocean sailing), rudder (skeg, transom hung etc) and finally budget will all make a difference to your choice.
Thanks for the quick response!

Slowboat35

Visit site
First I must correct myself for a significant error. Contrary to my recollection (having checked said correspondance) I find you offered £1000, not 500 as I incorrectly stated. My apologies.

Even so only a scoundrel would accuse someone of 'spitting sour grapes' when they object to an attempt to con them into selling something for a half of the true value (despite describing it as a "serious offer") that he accidentally let slip himself in a public forum some weeks later.

Additional to that blatant obfuscation a "typo" - as everyone knows - is miskeying a keyboard. Calling it a Bydrovane is a typo. Describing it as a Servo Pendulum system is as far from a typo as is possible to imagine, it is simply a fundamental factual inaccuracy and pretending otherwise is just plain dishonest.
You going to try to kid us that your valuation of £1500 - 2000 was a "typo" too then?

Not impressed.

Now I'll just leave it at that.

Last edited: