Hydroptere

Rappey

Visit site
I've no idea as that article was all I came across .
I'm also surprised at the lack of interest in this thread?

flaming

Visit site
Why was she abandoned?
Short answer is that a low budget campaign had a shot at the California to Hawaii record, failed and ran out of money so just walked away.

It's a legendary boat, but I think it's part of the history of foiling and speed sailing, not the future. The big maxi tris are foiling now, Hydroptere isn't ever going to beat them on distance races, and nor would it beat the AC cats, or even monos, around a short course.

Rappey

Visit site
Hydroptere isn't ever going to beat them on distance races,
That makes sense but I still had a good look around google.
Various varying figures online but from what I found banque Populaire V top speed achieved was 47.15 knts.
Hydroptere achieved 52.86 official but has hit 61knts (then capsized) .
With the new owners ambitions of modern foils ,aero dynamics and ground effect the boat may have the potential for a record breaking future.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
It was originally berthed at La Trinité in South Brittany, they made their attempts inside Quiberon bay, flat sea and as much wind as one wants; I had taken a number of pictures but "courtesy" of Photobucket I had to delete them and can't find them any more.

flaming

Visit site
That makes sense but I still had a good look around google.
Various varying figures online but from what I found banque Populaire V top speed achieved was 47.15 knts.
Hydroptere achieved 52.86 official but has hit 61knts (then capsized) .
With the new owners ambitions of modern foils ,aero dynamics and ground effect the boat may have the potential for a record breaking future.
Ocean racing records aren't about top speeds though, they're about averages and I don' think Hydroptere will match the likes of Gitana for high averages. Seems much less able to deal with sea state. Probably she'll go on to break a load of records on the west coast of the USA, where the French don't really go record hunting, but the big ones - Atlantic, RTW and 24 hours I don't think would be within her reach any more.

Tomahawk

Visit site
Still love the boat.
Doing over 50 knots on both tacks through waves.... The Vestas Speed Rocket can only sail on one tack and seemingly in just one place on the planet.
President Sarcoisi attended a banquet in honour of Alain Thebauld after he broke the 50 knot barrier.

Other threads that may be of interest