Hurrah! Rot in my antique

burgundyben

Visit site
I also have a 100 year old rowing boat, built in 1910 by Dyers boatyard in Southampton for the St Denys rowing club next door, its a 16ft 6" 'Cock and Hen', so the gent rows while the lady sits on the aft thwart with a wicker woven backrest and no doubt a parasol to twirl!

The Rowing club wanted to dispose of it about 5 years ago, since my dad has been a member for 50 years and he taught me to row there in the 70's, I bought it.

fisherman

Visit site
I also have a 100 year old rowing boat, built in 1910 by Dyers boatyard in Southampton for the St Denys rowing club next door, its a 16ft 6" 'Cock and Hen', so the gent rows while the lady sits on the aft thwart with a wicker woven backrest and no doubt a parasol to twirl!

The Rowing club wanted to dispose of it about 5 years ago, since my dad has been a member for 50 years and he taught me to row there in the 70's, I bought it.
If anything like that comes up again I'm always looking. My boat is one I wanted since I was twelve.
It was evidently primarily for racing randan, two oars two paddles.

Hacker

Visit site
As far as I know. We are building it to the relevant measurements. We are also building a gig which is obviously being measured by CPGA.

fisherman

Visit site
In 1970 we formed a rowing club and built a skiff, it wasn't much good, and we bought four second hand from Saltash. We used to turn up to local regattas mob handed. Then we went to Newquay and had a go one evening against their 'B crew, we did quite well, so entered the champs in 1971 and got to the semis, I think. After that it all went to rack and rooney with people training, not drinking, and such nonsense. Then we got a gig, and other villages thought, if Cadgwith can, so can we. How many now? 200?
Glad to see skiff racing making a comeback. We rowed the oyster punt last summer, randan mixed, two of us 69 and 70, plus 19 yr old girl. we came an honorable last, but not far back, needing practice.

jane100

Visit site

My son has recently inherited a rowing boat that sounds very similar with a St Denys Amateur Rowing Club Southampton plate built by The Phoenix Boat Co. I'd be interested to find out more about it - we also need a valuation for insurance purposes. I've (hopefully!) attached a couple of photos in case you or anyone else can help?!
Jane

burgundyben

Visit site
My son has recently inherited a rowing boat that sounds very similar with a St Denys Amateur Rowing Club Southampton plate built by The Phoenix Boat Co. I'd be interested to find out more about it - we also need a valuation for insurance purposes. I've (hopefully!) attached a couple of photos in case you or anyone else can help?!
Jane

Very interesting. I thought all St Denys boats had been built by Dyers.

What is the boats name? I think all their boats were named after birds.

There is a history of the club written in the 1950 's which mentions some boats by name

jane100

Visit site
Very interesting. I thought all St Denys boats had been built by Dyers.

What is the boats name? I think all their boats were named after birds.

There is a history of the club written in the 1950 's which mentions some boats by name
I don't know the boat's name - do you know how I could access the club history and/or try to find out?

burgundyben

Visit site
Hi Ben

Pics attached. The very helpful people at St Denys Boat Club think it's Swallow from 1909. Any other insights would be very helpful!
View attachment 118880View attachment 118881

Wow. Thats is fascinating (to me at least!) I never knew that St Denys club had boats built by anyone other than Dyers.

I bet if you looked back through the club logbooks for the 70's and 80's you'd find my Dad took that boat out with me in it.