Humour ?

PhillM

Visit site
I have been around here for a decade and it’s slowly gone downhill. It used to be a vibrant place to post about boats and things we found amusing. It’s become political and argumentative. I used to visit daily. Now more like weekly or monthly,

What was once a source of valuable information, is no longer. It’s rather sad.

I don’t know if thats the editorial policy or the occupants. I guess chicken and egg. It’s a real shame.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
I have been around here for a decade and it’s slowly gone downhill. It used to be a vibrant place to post about boats and things we found amusing. It’s become political and argumentative. I used to visit daily. Now more like weekly or monthly,

I don’t know if thats the editorial policy or the occupants. I guess chicken and egg. It’s a real shame.

Well personally for me its now far better than before just because I dont keep reading about ruddy Brexit ; those posters who kept on and on talking about changing the results ; posting the number 27 in their idents, posting a what Brexit has not done, kept on saying that they were European not British etc etc etc it all got on my tts so as to say !

All in all its ar more civilised Forum now, maybe a tad boring and restricted but thats progress i suppose

Only downside sofar is I must admit, its recieving them Moderator Statements about possibly being Banned from these hallowed pages !

So either I am being Shopped by fellow posters, or my efforts not being appreciated by Mods ?

Poignard

Visit site
Well personally for me its now far better than before just because I dont keep reading about ruddy Brexit ; those posters who kept on and on talking about changing the results ; posting the number 27 in their idents, posting a what Brexit has not done, kept on saying that they were European not British etc etc etc it all got on my tts so as to say !

All in all its ar more civilised Forum now, maybe a tad boring and restricted but thats progress i suppose

Only downside sofar is I must admit, its recieving them Moderator Statements about possibly being Banned from these hallowed pages !

So either I am being Shopped by fellow posters, or my efforts not being appreciated by Mods ?
'
But you didn't need to read a word about Brexit.

Leaving aside any accidental and trifling spillage it was all contained within the Current Affairs sub-forum, and nobody compelled you, a grown-up with all your wits about you, to go there. But if you did wander in there accidentally, as one might inadvertently find oneself in a brothel or a church, you would quickly say to yourself "This isn't for me" and leave.

The plain fact is, you couldn't resist it and were a frequent and controversial poster there.

So, coming from you, your complaint is a bit rich: you condemning what, until a few days ago, you used to enjoy participating in.

;)

Last edited:

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
'
But you didn't need to read a word about Brexit.

Leaving aside any accidental and trifling spillage it was all contained within the Current Affairs sub-forum, and nobody compelled you, a grown-up with all your wits about you, to go there. But if you did wander in there accidentally, as one might find oneself in a brothel or a church, you would quickly say to yourself "This isn't for me" and leave.

Although, in fact, you couldn't resist it and were a frequent and controversial poster there.

So, coming from you, your complaint is a bit rich: you condemning what, until a few days ago, you used to enjoy participating in.

;)
This is a joke right?

every other thread blamed Brexit for one thing or another. I'm glad for the purge.

Stemar

Visit site
It's still a source of valuable information. Whenever I've asked a practical question, I've had useful answers. Even on highly politicised threads like which (w)anchor, I just ignore the trolls and leave them to fight it out, though I do agree that some very interesting threads in the Lounge do get taken over. So many trolls, so few bridges. No wonder they end up fighting, poor things. It must be a miserable existence.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Signatures at the bottom of posts seem to have disappeared .

Have to admit, I did feel that political one's unnecessary for a sailing forum.

Bristolfashion

Visit site

It's not political - that's banned. You can still argue about anchoring if you like.

dom

Visit site
It appears that the situation we have arrived at is because dozens of forumites have lodged dozens of reports about threads they didn't actually even need to read in the first place.

Everyone has their own beliefs, ideas and prejudices. Everyone their own unique set of knowledge and ego blind spots

Most are interested in testing and refining their ideas through discussion.

Some are hopelessly entrenched but unable to articulate why.

Thankfully -- for the inarticulate and the holders of bad ideas -- there's an easy escape route these days ....."I'm offended!"

It's a sad defence; but then those using it rarely see that.