Humber to Wells

nigelmck

Visit site
Hi just passage planning from the Humber, down to Wells -next- the- sea, and notice that the direct route takes me over protector, and the inner dowsing overfalls. Likely to be in the dark so obviously it would be prudent to go around. Can anyone give me their experiencec of this part of the passage please
Many thanks

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Draw a straight line from the cardinal at Wells entrance, to South Inner Dowsing cardinal, to the cardinal at the NE corner of the Links wind farm, to somewhere around Donna Nook. Leave the Humber, pick this line up and it's straight to Wells.

Last edited:

Daverw

Visit site
DZ2 and point it straight to cardinal outer mark off Wells via inner dowsing, assuming Donner Nook not live which it rarely is when we pass through, this is one of our favourite trips, easy as it HW Hull and Wells so return easy. Note that Wells is a lot easier now they’ve changed the channel

PaulRainbow

Visit site
DZ2 and point it straight to cardinal outer mark off Wells via inner dowsing, assuming Donner Nook not live which it rarely is when we pass through, this is one of our favourite trips, easy as it HW Hull and Wells so return easy. Note that Wells is a lot easier now they’ve changed the channel

Doesn't DZ2 to Wells cardinal take you directly over the Inner Dowsing overfalls ?

Daverw

Visit site
Just brings you west of them and you skirt the wind farm, never been an issue, on a nice summers day we often go inshore and follow the 6m contour off the beaches

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Just brings you west of them and you skirt the wind farm, never been an issue, on a nice summers day we often go inshore and follow the 6m contour off the beaches

Perhaps i'm misunderstanding your directions Dave, but DZ2 to Wells cardinal goes right over the overfalls. Did you mean DZ2, South Inner Dowsing cardinal, Wells outer cardinal ?

Daverw

Visit site
Should take you between theddlethorpe overhauls and inner dowsing over falls and to the edge of the wind farm, waypoint inner dowsing and then Wells cardinal

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Should take you between theddlethorpe overhauls and inner dowsing over falls and to the edge of the wind farm, waypoint inner dowsing and then Wells cardinal

The upper line below is DZ2 to Wells cardinal, passing 2.5 miles into the Inner dowsing overfalls.

The lower line is the route from post #2, clearing the overfalls and the wind farm.

Screenshot 2020-10-19 201929.jpg

Momac

Visit site
I go further out past DZ3 and therefore not clipping the bombing range . So we pass to the East of Inner Dowsing Overfalls..... in a motorboat .
Once went Grimsby to Wells on a day with no clouds , no wind . The sea was still slopping about from wind two days before... for almost the whole trip. I must have improved in navigation skills by looking at state state forecast as have had relatively calm seas since then.

I may try the route much closer to the Lincolnshire coast next time .

Daverw

Visit site
I’ve never seen any pots until near Wells and that is east of the cardinal and then they do seem to breed, and don't go close off Cromer