Hugo Boss Vendee

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone may have heard any more about the structural problems encountered by Alex in the Vendee. One assumes that the boat still has a future.

Tradewinds

Visit site
Having seen how Armel Tripon came from the back of the fleet my money would be on Alex's next boat being a similar type.
Do you think Alex will have the sponsorship/funding level he has had if he decided to go again in 2024? These are uncertain times.

Would anyone want to pay top dollar for the current HB seeing it had serious hull problems and then did not finish due to the rudder damage?

As you said Tripon's boat design seems to be the 'next generation' not HB (all IMO).

I wonder what AT's plans are now?

Laser310

Visit site
Would anyone want to pay top dollar for the current HB seeing it had serious hull problems and then did not finish due to the rudder damage?

Do we know anything about rule changes for the next generation of these boats?

Anyway, I don't know about "top dollar".., it has some value - probably a lot of value.

I think if a buyer were to re-engineer a few things.., maybe add 100 or 200 pounds of carbon fiber and epoxy in the right places.., and the boat might be pretty fast and reliable.

also there will be plenty of time before the next going to sail the boat and see what the remaining failure modes are.

flaming

Visit site
Do we know anything about rule changes for the next generation of these boats?

Anyway, I don't know about "top dollar".., it has some value - probably a lot of value.

I think if a buyer were to re-engineer a few things.., maybe add 100 or 200 pounds of carbon fiber and epoxy in the right places.., and the boat might be pretty fast and reliable.

also there will be plenty of time before the next going to sail the boat and see what the remaining failure modes are.
To be honest, at the price he's asking I think it's something of a "if it sells it sells" punt.

The rules are barely changing for the next round, rudder elevators are still out, which would be the big step change.

Wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility to reshape the bow to be more scow like if they think that's the way to go.

I have my suspicions that Alex is convinced his boat would have won at a canter if it had stayed in one piece. Certainly the speeds he was posting after he retired on the way to Cape Town did indicate that it was probably going to post better averages in the South than the rest of the fleet managed.

But we shall see what he does next. I'm sure he'll be involved, even if it's team management rather than sailing.

matt1

Visit site
He seems to be getting shot of all the Boss memorabilia so I suspect Hugo Boss have had enough. Sadly I can't see him returning to sailing a campaign (Although I hope I'm wrong). I would think any new sponsor would want at least an option on a 2nd campaign (if the 1st works out well) and at his age that is probably stretching it a bit. The French are good at passing the baton to a younger skipper within the same team - it seems to work well for them. Although I wouldn't put it past Ratty to stump up the cash ;-)

matt1

Visit site
Let us know how you get on :)

I already own an open 60 .

It sits on my windowsill and is sponsored by Ericsson. :)

That's a Volvo 70 then. I had the good fortune to see that in build in Kista at Ericsson's redundant factory that they used to build the two boats. Also went on it Stockholm after the race (but sadly not out sailing)

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
That's a Volvo 70 then. I had the good fortune to see that in build in Kista at Ericsson's redundant factory that they used to build the two boats. Also went on it Stockholm after the race (but sadly not out sailing)
(y)

Good to know . Thanks.

Reminded me that it needs a good dusting.

At least you went aboard one. :)