Hubba X4 Duo Marine Wi-Fi / 4G Internet connection router - perfect for cruisers, liveaboards etc

Mikehp0

Visit site
I'm selling my boat's clever internet connection system

It's a Hubba X4 Duo and it is the perfect all in one solution for internet connections on a boat.

Without getting all technical (because I can't!), it works like this:

It creates its own Wi-Fi hotspot for use by devices in the boat and then connects itself to external Wi-Fi when available, or 3G/4G when Wi-Fi isn't available. Reading the manuals and the adverts, it can also be used to connect to 4G by default, swapping to to a separate VSAT satellite router when far offshore - hence its popularity on ocean going commercial boats and ships.

The big benefit is that all of the devices on the boat (navigation gear, smart TVs etc) don't need to be reset to connect to a different Wi-Fi device (maybe a tethered mobile phone) whenever I leave my berth.

It also supports 2 different 4G SIM cards - perfect for anyone crossing borders or operating in a couple of different regions where each needs a specific network to get service. I've used this - one end of my cruising ground has great EE reception and the other end has great O2 reception. It can swap between them automatically or manually.

In my case it connects to the marina's Wi-Fi when the boat is in its home berth and then seemlessly swaps to 4G (where available) when at sea. The external antenna gives great range - on cross channel trips, I can pick up UK 4G several miles further out than I can with an iPhone. The 4G antenna included with this sale is brand new and unused.

The main unit has IP66 water proofing which I think that means it is splash proof. The box is well sealed and cables enter through glands. In my case, though, this is untried as the unit lives in a locker in the boat's saloon. It needs a 12v DC feed so can run on most leisure boats but also comes with a 240v adapter.

Hubba X4 Duo manuals are available with a bit of Googling. I have a downloaded and printed set that I will supply.

Reason for sale? We don't often stay away from our home berth and the marina Wi-Fi has improved dramatically recently. I'm therefore planning to only connect via marina Wi-Fi and I could use the extra locker space (it's pretty big - about 12inches wide, 6 inches tall and 2 inches deep) and some cash!

Hubba seem to sell the X4 Global now, rather than the X4 Duo. The specification and the manual seems to be the same as is the £1495 price. Do please check this, though. Hubba's telephone support has been excellent on the couple of occasions that I have called them. They sell a cheaper model that's just a 4G router in a waterproof case - it won't do the Marina Wi-Fi to 4G switch.

Here's a link to the auction on eBay.

http://ebay.us/pvoaXo?cmpnId=5338273189

Starting price is £150 but between you and I there's a reserve of £195.

Happy to consider offers through eBay and would sell direct to fellow boaters.

Message me here if you need any more info.

Thanks

Mike

hubba photo.jpg

Last edited: