How to make an outboard rest for pushpit?

Captain Crisp

Visit site
Hi,
I want to create an outboard rest for my 2-stroke on my pushpit. I also want it to be exactly the same thickness as the back of the dinghy - 30mm, so I don't have spend ages re-setting the clamps.
I'm imagining a nice thick plank of wood attached somehow to the back of the pushpit.
Any advice gratefully received!
Crisp

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Hi,
I want to create an outboard rest for my 2-stroke on my pushpit. I also want it to be exactly the same thickness as the back of the dinghy - 30mm, so I don't have spend ages re-setting the clamps.
I'm imagining a nice thick plank of wood attached somehow to the back of the pushpit.
Crisp
Are you any good at rebating holes?

A bit of teak 30 mm thick with three ‘U’ bolts with the nuts and washers rebated into the surface and mount it on the junction between an upright and a rail ‘T’ section of push-pit. You don’t have to rebate the washers and nuts but it would look neater.
If you were really nifty you’d use a router to cut some grooves in the teak so it fitted snugly on the push-pit.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
There used to be brackets available - "Little John" for doing precisely this. They aren't made any more, but there have been two of them mounted on one bit of wood on eBay for ages; RARE! Outboard Mounting Bracket. Little John Vintage With Instructions! Classic | eBay.

Alternatively. or if your pushpit supports are not vertical, you can attach the wood using semi-circular end stainless U-bolts with the nuts going into recessed holes on the "outboard" side. There was one like that on my boat, but I took it off as we use oars for the dinghy.

ashtead

Visit site
Years ago I made one for the stern of a centaur for a seagull outboard . Drew the shapeless on cardboard to shape and took to local wood yard to cut an off cut of hardwood to fit . It had indented circles for the outboard clamps plus one at bottom for leg of outboard behind propellor. Fixed with u bolts from chandlers. The seagull is still now nesting in the garden as it’s days of flying are long gone but the centaur has a new owner.

Dan Tribe

Visit site
I made mine by clamping two bits of offcut mahogany, each half the total thickness, then drilling a hole the diameter of the pushpit rail along the joint. They can then be screwed together over the rail.
Probably won't work if trying to drill 25mm through 30mm wood but it's a quick and easy method.

VicS

Visit site
Hi,
Crisp
Cut piece hardwood to the required size and shape. Add a an extra piece along the top to increase the thickness to 30mm for sufficient depth to accommodate the outboard clamps

Attach it to the rail and one upright with 3 stainless steel pipe saddle clips

1613905853075.png

Stemar

Visit site
Better still if it would work on your boat would be one of these
outboard-bracket-spring-loaded-stainless-steel-1256836633-l.jpg

In the up position, it keeps stores the outboard; lower it, and you've got emergency propulsion

pandos

Visit site
The adjusting of the clamps is a pain I agree...but you could avoid this by adding a spacer on the inside of the transom of the dingy!
Thereby making it easier to make the bracket for the yacht from two ply faces and some spacers the size of the push pit tube.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
The adjusting of the clamps is a pain I agree...but you could avoid this by adding a spacer on the inside of the transom of the dingy!
Thereby making it easier to make the bracket for the yacht from two ply faces and some spacers the size of the push pit tube.
Nice bit of lateral thinking going in there.... and another job to do when I finally get to Greece!

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Cut piece hardwood to the required size and shape. Add a an extra piece along the top to increase the thickness to 30mm for sufficient depth to accommodate the outboard clamps
Attach it to the rail and one upright with 3 stainless steel pipe saddle clips

Agreed but would add - make sure wood grain is running vertically. I saw one which had snapped off complete with outboard when the pad split along horizontal oriented grain.

I used two pieces of wood, both rebated half round to fit around tubes, then clamped together with nuts and bolts.

Ammonite

Visit site
You can buy a really nice solid teak one for less than £50 with all the fittings for 25mm tube that looks way better than most DIY jobs. These are typically 45mm thick so just you just need to fit a bit of 15mm hardwood or plastic to the inside of the transom along the lines suggested previously. Why you'd want to bolt a bit of manky plywood to an otherwise nice looking yacht I have no idea! :)
I have this one which is just over £50
Solid Teak Outboard Motor Bracket | Onward Marine Company
Alternatively make something like this youself if you have the time and tools

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
You can by a really nice solid teak one for less than £50 with all the fittings for 25mm tube that looks way better than most DIY jobs. These are typically 45mm thick so just you just need to fit a bit of 15mm hardwood or plastic to the inside of the transom along the lines suggested previously. Why you'd want to bolt a bit of manky plywood to an otherwise nice looking yacht I have no idea! :)
I have this one which is just over £50
Solid Teak Outboard Motor Bracket | Onward Marine Company
Alternatively make something like this youself if you have the time and tools
Coo, I had forgotten those. I had one on my last boat and very nicely it worked, too. Can't fit one to the current boat - without major modification - because my pushpit is actually a pulpit (pointy at both ends) and the "verticals" are, to use the technical term, "squinty".

The only issue I had with the teak one was Nameless Horror growing in between the two pieces. If I had one again I would take it off every year and clean it out.

VicS

Visit site
Coo, I had forgotten those. I had one on my last boat and very nicely it worked, too. Can't fit one to the current boat - without major modification - because my pushpit is actually a pulpit (pointy at both ends) and the "verticals" are, to use the technical term, "squinty".

The only issue I had with the teak one was Nameless Horror growing in between the two pieces. If I had one again I would take it off every year and clean it out.