How to increase overnight moorings - Part 2

The RYA are:

• The only force beteween us and compulsory licensing / registration

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A great force for good, promoting informed boating

• A bunch of people who think they know best

• A collection of control freaks shortly to be invited to form a department in the Blair government

• A mis-spelling of a well-known (ex) terrorist organisation

• An organisation you have to join if you want a professional sailing career

• Total voters

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Where a charge is made for an overnight mooring encourage the charging authority to only charge for one vessel alongside and not for vessels that raft out from it. This would encourage rafting and also reduce individual mooring fees. Local areas would also benefit from greater spending by more boats.

nickcred

Visit site
well one cos I am Director of credit as my day job and the thought of trying to collect the rafters share of the fee on my time off is enough to put me off. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif maybe I could invoke retention of title if the boat is better than mine

BrendanS

Visit site
can't see it working in real life. Poor sod inside gets charged, everyone moors off him free. Might make more people raft, but unless reasonable people on raft who share costs, no way of policing it. Then everyone mills around waiting for first person in, so they can raft off them, etc etc.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
It is actually a serious suggestion.
Marlow, for instance, charge £10 a night at Higginson Pak by the leisure centre and do charge rafted boats as well. Only room for a dozen or so boats (even less with a couple of 70' narrowboats)in the main mooring stretch. There is a cheaper option a little further upriver but it is much shallower there.
Marlow is a nice town with plenty of restaurants and good shops so even more galling when you cant get in!

nickcred

Visit site
The idea does have merit thinking about it more and Marlow is a great place to stop and we have struggled to moor there. Also most of the people I have met on the Thames have been nice people and I am sure most would pay their part of the cost. And well for the few who dont - life's to short to get stressed about it.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Maybe I'm not a "people person", but most days I go sailing to get away from everyone else. If I choose to be on a mooring rather than in a marina, it's because I don't feel like having neighbours right now.

If this idea would be adopted, I'd rather b*gg*r off and drop the hook somewhere.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
We're talking about the Thames here so I suspect, with a 44' sailing boat, its unlikely to affect you /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Even for the Thames, if the idea were taken up I am not advocating a compulsory arrangement but rather one where if boats do raft up voluntarily they will be able to share the fee and make more mooring space available for others.

Your comment on dropping the hook is an interesting one. I am sure we could do much more of that on the Thames if we positively decided to do so, but for some reason its not that common. It would also lessen the possibility of boats being cast adrift during the night by idiots with nothing better to do.

apollo

Visit site
Already get this in Henley (Fawley Meadow - half price for outside) and Cookham park (free), at least it always happens when my father in law moors outside of me!

DogsBody

Visit site
Always thought it was a bit out of order to charge full price for boats rafted anyways - its not like they are taking extra bank up is it, although as has been mentioned one or two places do give a discount for rafting already.

DogsBody.

Other threads that may be of interest