How to identify teak?

C08

Visit site
This is not exactly boaty as this query relates to garden furniture but I am sure this is where the wood expertise is to be found.
An E bay seller, good but very low feedback, says imports from Indonesia and normally deals with cafes, restuarants etc for their dining out furniture but as that has slowed down offering great discounts from£2.5 down to £800 for a table and 6 chairs. Sound plausible but dont they all.
It seems a bargain if it is really teak. My other concern is the table is only 22mm thick, which seems on the light side.
So how to be sure it is teak and not some similar light coloured wood, also will the top be liable to warp or twist at that thickness?
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/DIkAAOSwj1lfLpqm/s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

GrahamP

Visit site
I would have thought that demand for dining out furniture would have been high over the last couple of months as businesses expand their outdoor provision.
I would not be tempted to buy - prefer to see build quality and help a local business.

C08

Visit site
I would have thought that demand for dining out furniture would have been high over the last couple of months as businesses expand their outdoor provision.
I would not be tempted to buy - prefer to see build quality and help a local business.
A good point, I also try and support local business and I do like to see and feel the quality before I buy but most garden furniture at garden outlets are metal, glass topped, fake plastic rattan etc so not easy to view a wooden one before buying and then there is the risk in shopping rather than online. I am sure lots of peeps have had to change their buying habits now. Thanks.