How to get my boat home from Spain?

Hurricane

Visit site
Perhaps relocate to a nearer Med coast to the Chunnel , SoF at one end of the berth spectrum €15K ish pa rent or Italy for less than 1/2 that .The daily living costs ashore etc are approx 1/2 that too on the Ligurian coast .
Easy enough drive and two Airports Nice and Genoa when or if flights ever return back to what they were in terms of cost efficiency ?
Saying this with no knowledge of the current or future intended use age pattern.
Unfortunately, I don't think that idea really works for them.
The run from the UK to SOF isn't much easier than the run to (I think) their part of Spain.
For us, we use the ferry from the UK to northern Spain and then drive the shorter distance.
Probably less stressful and more comfortable than the run from the UK to SOF
The OP has mentioned Eastern Spain and Valencia.
Very similar area to Sant Carles.
So, IMO, relocating to the SOF wouldn't achieve much.

timbad

Visit site
Definitely a great way to move a boat but if you just want it home, as I said above, the best way is by road.

I had a very different problem - our boat was too big for the roads.
So, I had a price to ship by sea.
I never really wanted to do it that way anyway, but I had the price aal the same.
That was in 2008 - £26,000 from Southampton to Palma.
As I said, I wasn't serious because I wanted to deliver her on her own bottom.
So, I feel that I've saved money because I only used £20,000 of fuel!!!

Anyway, some people on here will remember the delivery trip.
DJEFABS should remember - great delivery trip.
Torquay to Sant Carles in 7 days
The only mistake was that we did it all in one hit - we should have taken several months and enjoyed it even more.
I'm not sure if I still hold the record or not - UK to seeing the Nort Africa coast in 5 days.
And we didn't travel at night - preferred to have a good night's sleep after a nice restaurant's dinner out.

Here is the YBW report that I did at the time.
Here's the link
I wonder who on here remember it
BTW the fuel taken on at the various stops is listed in this thread.

Princess 67 Delivery - UK to Spain - Loads of Pics and Videos
I remember it well as I could not come along as I was working :-(
SWIMBO even manged to get on the first leg Swanwick to Torquay

Hurricane

Visit site
I remember it well as I could not come along as I was working :-(
SWIMBO even manged to get on the first leg Swanwick to Torquay
That was an important leg.
In those days, we didn't know the fuel burn at displacement speed.
Topped the tanks at Lymington - then again in Torquay and after some tidal and distance calcs, worked out the longest range of the boat.

Red

Visit site
The times are a changing.. possibility!?
I need a bit of advice as to how to bring my Princess 435 back from east Spain..

It feels strange to say this, but the wife has no disire to sit on planes anymore. What seemed a economical floating holiday home in the sun could be out of our reach if airfares go up in the future.

The options as i see them are to do nothing, pay for a boat we cant use for possibly the whole of this summer/year or bring her home either by road, canal or by sea/ship.

I know nothing about putting my boat on a ship, but ive had a company quote 6-6.5k, to get her from Valencia to the Humber. (Recommendations welcome)

Had quotes from road transporters from between 8.5k - 12k. (Recommendations welcome)

Ive sailed to the north sea from the med before but never on a motorboat. My Princess 435 has no log of gallon usage per hour of what i can find. She has TAMD61A 306hp volvos but i would have been only guessing if i had to workout how much it would cost to passage round the bottom and back up to the Ouse. At say 10-15knots (anyone know what the fuel cost are for a trip like this)

Before this covid-19 The French cannals were the most involved scenario id looked in to. Spending as long as possible navigating thought most of the food and drink on offer along the way.
But even with the radar arch and windscreen off the boat would seem to be around 3.5m
The max height on many of the routes. As well as people telling me id be forever replacing impellers etc. due to her draft being a aound 1 m.
(If anyone has done the canals in a Princess 435 or similar id love to hear from you)

Thanks MTG
Hello,
I have done lots of long distance trips all over the world power and sail, mostly power, if you want someone to help get the boat via the sea either as skipper or crew I would be happy to help. Portsmouth based, you would have to cover costs etc
Regards

Seastoke

Visit site
Hello,
I have done lots of long distance trips all over the world power and sail, mostly power, if you want someone to help get the boat via the sea either as skipper or crew I would be happy to help. Portsmouth based, you would have to cover costs etc
Regards
Nice advert.

DazzyWoo

Visit site
I looked at something similar last year.

I don’t think French canal are an option for you boat – as its too tall.

I quite fancied a doing the trip “the long way round” – but I’m not sure at the moment due to perceived risk of getting stuck along the way, either directly by lockdown, or because you cannot get parts or fuel.

Transport by road is fine; but they will need to disassemble pasts of the boat. E.g. remove Radar arch & props. I know people who have had issues (e.g. leak) on reassembly – but maybe the boat leaked already – who knows?

Transport by boat seemed to have a lot of positives over transport by road; as you do not need to deconstruct the boat and put it back together; The only issue I could see with boat transport was the cost. The rate you have been quoted is less than half what I was quoted for a similar size boat. Assuming they are reputable, I would be tempted to go for that route.

Having said that I have not transported a boat by boat, so there maybe issues I am not aware of

Hurricane

Visit site
Having said that I have not transported a boat by boat, so there maybe issues I am not aware of
Here are the issues.
Read this thread:-
New (to us) boat! SQ58
If you don't read it all then just skip to post #47

And, I believe he finally bought another from Mallorca, sailed her to Barcelona and Coast2Coast did the rest - across land.

Not saying that you shouldn't ship by sea but...........

BoatingPleasureHP

Visit site
I just drove my boat on the highway, was a bit scared that the boat cover to blew off but luckily it lasted. Using a train is also a good method to transport your boat. bought the cover with a Dutch so called '' boothoes '' company. If you take the train, you won't need a cover. Price of train or car depends on where you live.

nicho

Visit site
19 boats arrived in Southampton by cargo ship on Friday - took 5 days from Palma. Would love to have seen them all being off loaded. Never seen so many Spanish courtesy flags outside of Spain ?.
Once helped to take a Squadron 72 to Southampton to be put on a ship for the Med. Arrived to find two hour delay. Eventually, pitch dark, and pouring with rain, about to be craned on board, expecting to be able to stay on the boat, I was told not possible. Had to climb up a bloody rope ladder up the side of the ship, swaying in the wind, not daring to look down and suffering badly from my absolute fear of heights. Needed a pint after that.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
The times are a changing.. possibility!?
I need a bit of advice as to how to bring my Princess 435 back from east Spain..

It feels strange to say this, but the wife has no disire to sit on planes anymore. What seemed a economical floating holiday home in the sun could be out of our reach if airfares go up in the future.

The options as i see them are to do nothing, pay for a boat we cant use for possibly the whole of this summer/year or bring her home either by road, canal or by sea/ship.

I know nothing about putting my boat on a ship, but ive had a company quote 6-6.5k, to get her from Valencia to the Humber. (Recommendations welcome)

Had quotes from road transporters from between 8.5k - 12k. (Recommendations welcome)

Ive sailed to the north sea from the med before but never on a motorboat. My Princess 435 has no log of gallon usage per hour of what i can find. She has TAMD61A 306hp volvos but i would have been only guessing if i had to workout how much it would cost to passage round the bottom and back up to the Ouse. At say 10-15knots (anyone know what the fuel cost are for a trip like this)

Before this covid-19 The French cannals were the most involved scenario id looked in to. Spending as long as possible navigating thought most of the food and drink on offer along the way.
But even with the radar arch and windscreen off the boat would seem to be around 3.5m
The max height on many of the routes. As well as people telling me id be forever replacing impellers etc. due to her draft being a aound 1 m.
(If anyone has done the canals in a Princess 435 or similar id love to hear from you)

Thanks MTG
I think I passed your boat on the A34 but I can’t post a pic of it as the file is too big , pm me your email .

Hurricane

Visit site
I think I passed your boat on the A34 but I can’t post a pic of it as the file is too big , pm me your email .
Yep - I get that problem regularly - you would have thought that this pig awful forum software would resize your image "on the fly".
A couple pf months ago, I finished a big upgrade on our SCMCHAT Forum and it wasn't difficult to do.
In fact a lot of my upgrade design was based of what not to do (from THIS forum).
Sorry, YBW - I really think you could have done better - with the photo uploader and other stuff.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Yep - I get that problem regularly - you would have thought that this pig awful forum software would resize your image "on the fly".
A couple pf months ago, I finished a big upgrade on our SCMCHAT Forum and it wasn't difficult to do.
In fact a lot of my upgrade design was based of what not to do (from THIS forum).
Sorry, YBW - I really think you could have done better - with the photo uploader and other stuff.
Exactly in fact some days the upload is useless

Hurricane

Visit site
Exactly in fact some days the upload is useless
Virtually every image that I upload requires resizing before uploading.
OK, the old system of linking to images wasn't great but this extra step of resizing is just not necessary in a modern world
They could have, at least, got that bit right when they upgraded a few months ago..