How to fix a Leaking pressure pump

jimi

Visit site
Shurflo started leaking from join in base. Smothered it in plumbers mait to keep under control until I could fix. Switched off and disconnected wires unscrewed in-line filter , rats water spews out, hastily rescrew, turn tap on until pressure gone. Disconnect with no issues, spend next 90 minutes cleaning plumbers mait off pump and then another 30 mins off me. Try to dismantle but screws are corroded in, soak in wd40 try again no luck. Apply heat via soldering iron no luck. Get on internet and order replacement, put back on , friggin leak has disappeared and it all works ok!!

Daedelus

Visit site
Same happened with me except I chickened when I tried and failed to unscrew the body.

I reckon mine failed as it had a small amount of water left in it and pillock at the marina who had faithfully promised to top up credit on electric heater (boat was out of water) went on holiday and forgot to mention to anyone else. When I went down after nearly a week of very cold weather I found the boat absolutely freezing and I suspect water in the pump froze and disturbed the seals.

jimi

Visit site
I'll move onto the calorifier now, blinking pressure release valve was leaking so I replaced it. The new one is even worse so I'm tempted to put the old one back and see it behaves itself now its seen the havoc I can wreak!

johnalison

Visit site
You clearly have the magic touch. All you need to do now is service everything in the boat that moves. After that your boat will either be working perfectly or at the bottom of the ocean.

Blueboatman

Visit site
Can’t you just fit a large barrel of rum where the calorier is(was) and issue a healthy life affirming tot per day ?
This would be for essential delousing and ablutions purposes , teeth cleansing and improved maintenanceman moral ?

Worked for the RN for years

Last edited:

Martin&Rene

Visit site
I ran a length of small plastic tubing from the calorifier PRV and it it exits through a hole I drilled in the Plastimo stern shower fitting.