How much does it cost to live aboard a boat?

Tranona

Visit site
Good book but starting to show its age now. I find some of her ideas a bit odd- I'd hate to disagree with her. E.g. she extols the virtue of teak decks, which we all know are an absolute money pit. She is generally very risk averse and avoids any post 1950s technology where possible, but prefers a saildrive to a shaft, which I find very odd. Developments in solar, battery, and LED technology have completely changed life aboard and her preference of candles and paraffin lamps is now no longer the sensible choice, let alone the cheapest. But much of the core thinking is still valid.
You need to take these preferences in context. Having been around when the book was first published, I can see that she was actually right up to date with most of her choices. Interestingly her recent writings and choice of boats suggest she has not moved on much!

The preference for saildrive needs a bit of explanation. Her boat was a flat bottomed Dory and a conventional shaft drive would not be possible. The "normal" auxiliary was an outboard in a well. so the saildrive she chose was a good solution - easy to fit, self contained and above all cheap as it was a blend of Honda outboard head grafted onto a Volvo saildrive. That was developed at the same time as we were playing with a similar concept at Seagull. It was not a commercial success, primarily because boats for which it was suitable were declining in popularity. Probably a few still around in boats like the Leisure 23, but guess most have died by now.

Similarly with the teak deck - it was a good choice at the time as the reclaimed teak they used was cheap, it was laid straight on adhesive (no screws) and I expect lasted very well. If I remember rightly they also used solid teak for the galley work surfaces! The bad reputation of teak stems from the original attachment methods used of screwing down onto a less than satisfactory substrate in swept "yacht" fashion and then putting deck fittings through the teak and deck. I read recently an account of replacing the deck on a 38' from a well respected UK yard (after only 25 years) where there were 96 fastening holes going through the teak and in one area where a chain plate was fastened down the ply pad in the sandwich deck was in the wrong place so water leaking from the fastenings had destroyed the balsa core. Hundreds of boats from that era (up to early 2000s), mostly from premium builders have such ticking timebombs, but equally many more recent boats from volume builders with bonded panels are unlikely to suffer from the same problems. Pity many of the badly built boats are also some of the most desirable designs for long term cruisers.

Different times.

roblpm

Visit site
One issue is that there are very few places where you can "officially" live aboard and obtaining a legitimate residential mooring can take forever. Most "liveaboards" in south coast marinas are living aboard "unofficially", usually in breach of the terms of their marina contract, although some marinas turn a blind eye to it. As an unofficial liveaboard it can be hard to do stuff which requires a proper address like register with a doctor, use the library or vote. There are past threads in this subforum discussing those issues.

Per previous posts, "living aboard" means different things to different people. Living on an opulently fitted out dutch barge is an entirely different proposition to what others do which is more akin to camping. 150m walk to the toilet in all weathers, rubbish oven with two burners, constant battle with damp and mould in winter, cold, motion and noise inhibiting sleep during winter storms...

For those with a full time job there are additional challenges such as:
* Sailing boats are an ergonomic nightmare for computer users. You're not going to get a Herman Miller Aeron into a modestly proportioned sailing boat so think again about that "home working with a laptop" gig if you value your back and neck.
* Need to wear a suit and tie for work? trying to iron your shirts on the saloon table is no fun, nor is keeping the mould from your favourite Armani or Paul Smith. You'd at least have thought Hugo Boss would have developed a boat-proof suit but no....
* Marinas are frequently not best placed for commuting
* Smart work footwear is often incompatible with snow and ice on a pontoon at 5:30am in winter (see "inconvenient for commuting" above)

Costs? A finger in the air for my 12m boat would suggest maybe £9k/pa for marina mooring, maintenance (with jobs mostly done by me, your costs sky rocket if you employ others) including haul-outs and spreading big costs across multiple years, power and heating (note: I was a skinflint eco warrior trying to save the planet with thermals and hot water bottles rather than burning fossils as much as possible in winter: the less hardy person may burn *a lot* more diesel to keep warm) but not including depreciation and, a real killer, storage. Despite never having accumulated more than a transit van's worth of possessions, there's very little storage space on a boat. I should have sold everything when moving aboard: I reckon it would have been cheaper to rent winter sports equipment every year than to pay for storing my snowboarding gear for example.

Official residential moorings, if you can find them, add to this cost and council tax would be on top of that too.

The marginal cost of moving aboard the boat you were already paying to moor and maintain is obviously *much* cheaper than the cost of buying and moving aboard a boat you buy as a residential lifestyle choice.
Are you still doing it full time? How many years have you done it for. (or ignore if MI5 are after you.... ?)

White socks

Visit site
myself, wife, 2 kids and dog lived aboard our 1968 52’ James noble trawler for 3 years.
We paid 5.5k a year for a walk on/off pontoon mooring with parking space, free water and no c.tax-to pay, electric was about £25 a week in winter £15 in summer.
id still be on it but wife had enough of the bs harbour politics in the end and missed the simplicity of bricks and mortar life.
The kids loved the adventure and having a beach as a garden, fishing off the boat and watching the abundant wildlife in the harbour.
The one thing I’d say you must take into account is the unexpected repairs, and on a big boat it can be very expensive.
Overall I’d say it’s a good life but I don’t think it’s necessarily that much cheaper than living in a house overall, this maybe different if you have a modern all mod cons vessel but that will cost too!

Gibeltarik

Visit site
Do read 'Sell up and Sail' and 'Sell up and cruise' - both by Laurel and Bill Cooper who both spent longer cruising than we achieved!

We are still afloat but on an owned UK mooring - a simpler life - but missing the cruising abroad - another BREXIT benefit!!

iantomlinson

Visit site
Hi HollyD,
Were from staffordshire(next to alton towers) so just down the road from derby. Our boat is in devon(dartmouth).
First thing is get some experience of sailing/boating.
It is much cheaper to live aboard but only if you are on a mooring(our is a 34ft yacht for £1100 p.a.). in the marina is about £6k. plus electric.
everybody is correct about winter, its bloody cold and damp but a good £1k heater will combat that).
You can save a fortune doing the maintenance yourself(beach it to antifoul etc.)
I do all of ours myself but arthritus and age are starting to take a toll.
what boat you buy depends on whether/how/if you want to use it.
You need a good amount of solar panels on a mooring to run a fridge and lights etc.
Best advice- get to know somebody who has a boat near where you're thinking of, then spend some time with them picking their brains(they will point locals out who have done the same thing).
If you and the carefree type then go for it and try. you wouldn't regret it.
Don't spend so much that you cant afford to change your mind.

laika

Visit site
Are you still doing it full time? How many years have you done it for. (or ignore if MI5 are after you.... ?)

I may possibly have slightly exceeded my permitted marina nights for 4 years but first mate's evaluation of the upside/downside ratio of liveaboard life was slightly different to mine and we're now renting a small flat near her work, ironically overlooking a different marina where I've had my name down on the list for a residential mooring for 14 years and am apparently no-where near getting one.

roblpm

Visit site
I may possibly have slightly exceeded my permitted marina nights for 4 years but first mate was always less accepting of the liveaboard downsides and we're now renting a small flat near her work, ironically overlooking a different marina where I've had my name down on the list for a residential mooring for 14 years and am apparently no-where near getting one.
Maybe you can leave the waiting list place to your grandkids?! ?

{186113}

Visit site
Hi HollyD,
Were from staffordshire(next to alton towers) so just down the road from derby. Our boat is in devon(dartmouth).
First thing is get some experience of sailing/boating.
It is much cheaper to live aboard but only if you are on a mooring(our is a 34ft yacht for £1100 p.a.). in the marina is about £6k. plus electric.
everybody is correct about winter, its bloody cold and damp but a good £1k heater will combat that).
You can save a fortune doing the maintenance yourself(beach it to antifoul etc.)
I do all of ours myself but arthritus and age are starting to take a toll.
what boat you buy depends on whether/how/if you want to use it.
You need a good amount of solar panels on a mooring to run a fridge and lights etc.
Best advice- get to know somebody who has a boat near where you're thinking of, then spend some time with them picking their brains(they will point locals out who have done the same thing).
If you and the carefree type then go for it and try. you wouldn't regret it.
Don't spend so much that you cant afford to change your mind.
Hi oh wow not far from me at all I love Alton Towers! I really do want to learn all about it so I can impress my dad he will be shocked of my knowledge I think it will be really cool! Fab advice thanks yes for sure want to spend more time on one.
Here's my last time on a boat I'm dying to get back on one!
Boating.png

ridgy

Visit site
Perhaps if you can explain your father's circumstances it will help.

Does he already have a boat? If so what sort?
If not, what sort does he want, sailing boat or motor boat?
Does he have any experience of boats?
What are his domestic circumstances? Single and bored or is your mum being taken on this adventure?
What are his financial circumstances? Being loaded and trying something different is a very different proposition to being a bit hard up and thinking this will save him some money.

Clancy Moped

Visit site

What are his domestic circumstances? Single and bored or is your mum being taken on this adventure?
What are his financial circumstances? Being loaded and trying something different is a very different proposition to being a bit hard up and thinking this will save him some money.
⬆⬆ Agree

PlanB

Visit site
Not enough info on Dad's situation and plans yet, but if one thing to consider is whether there will be a need to afford land-based accommodation as well.
There are people out there who sold up to sail, don't like it, become ill or have other reasons for returning to the UK and can't afford to get back on the housing ladder.

Sailfree

Visit site
Holly

For any sensible advice post #29 needs answers.

2 big ones.

Does he work or retired.

Want to be somewhere with more sun?

S England or really more sun eg Portugal or Spain.

Even in Portugal in winter at night a heater on board is nice.

Without more info we are talking about a dreamer.

Even here there are dreamers - we considered sailing around the world. Went sailing for 3months and discovered we like sailing Port to Port and cycling around the new Port.

Frankly wife did it for me and would have preferred a camper van!

Lived on board for last 12 months on Silver Coast, Portugal and its sunny and cheap.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Never lived upon a boat Holly; but often considered it; yep living on a Coastal Berth can I guess become most cold, wet, windy and generally unpleasant during the Off Season, ie Winter; but guess best to consider taking boat inland, to a more sheltered Witer Time mooring ; possibly Non Tidal; like a Canal or inland waterway; it should have the benefits of local shops, eateries, public transport, fellow Livers on Boards with whom to make aquaintainces / company with

It all wants real planning for sure, plus a Boat without a mooring can be BIG troubles as it usually cannot just be left anywhere, as there are Harbour Authorities, Local Authorities, River Authorities etc some of which can be bstrds at times and picky

{186113}

Visit site

Hi he owned a narrowboat and has just sold it so. now has the money to buy a sailing boat so he has some experience I guess. He is single (mum and dad divorced when I was little). He says he has plenty of savings and he works online so can work from anywhere which is really lucky for him. It's more of a lifestyle change for him as he loves the ocean and he was born in Brighton so misses it when here in Derbyshire.
I hope this helps does this then mean he is in a good position to live like this I'm guessing yes maybe? Thanks, Holly x

{186113}

Visit site
Holly

For any sensible advice post #29 needs answers.

2 big ones.

Does he work or retired.

Want to be somewhere with more sun?

S England or really more sun eg Portugal or Spain.

Even in Portugal in winter at night a heater on board is nice.

Without more info we are talking about a dreamer.

Even here there are dreamers - we considered sailing around the world. Went sailing for 3months and discovered we like sailing Port to Port and cycling around the new Port.

Frankly wife did it for me and would have preferred a camper van!

Lived on board for last 12 months on Silver Coast, Portugal and its sunny and cheap.
Wow your life sounds soo cool I'm jealous. He wants to moor in one place for now but I bet he will chase the hot weather as being a bikini girl myself I know thats exactly what I would do lol. He hasn't said yet though is he plans to go far in it. Thanks, Holly x

{186113}

Visit site
Never lived upon a boat Holly; but often considered it; yep living on a Coastal Berth can I guess become most cold, wet, windy and generally unpleasant during the Off Season, ie Winter; but guess best to consider taking boat inland, to a more sheltered Witer Time mooring ; possibly Non Tidal; like a Canal or inland waterway; it should have the benefits of local shops, eateries, public transport, fellow Livers on Boards with whom to make aquaintainces / company with

It all wants real planning for sure, plus a Boat without a mooring can be BIG troubles as it usually cannot just be left anywhere, as there are Harbour Authorities, Local Authorities, River Authorities etc some of which can be bstrds at times and picky
Thanks for these tips I need great tips!!!!! The inland mooring is helpful I will for sure pass this on to him. Thanks, Holly x

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
(My bold.) I'm sorry, but I either misunderstand your figures or I have to disagree. It can in no way be said that £500-1000 pm is significantly less than rent and council tax almost anywhere in the UK outside of London. £750 pm would generally see you in a comfortable 1 bed flat (arguably equivalent to a boat!), and in a three bed house in many areas!
Yes, I guess my view is slanted by where I live. In the SE or London £500 will only get you a small room in a HMO, sharing the bathroom and kitchen, and no communal living area! I know - I have tried to find places for student friends / relatives to better the £600-800pcm the university accommodation (Canterbury) charges. I appreciate that £ go further elsewhere. I have rented numerous times during the period I am not sailing and generally expect to pay over £1,000 pcm for a 1-2br apartment. Council tax may be another £150/month too.

Just been looking at www.svthedream.com (for my own planning purposes) which gives a very detailed breakdown of the costs of 4-5 years cruising a 50ft monohull in Med and Atlantic Coast. They have a target budget of €2,000/month and only seem to be able to stick to this by anchoring a lot. The thing that blows their budget is unanticipated boat maintenance and travel costs home (one of them is from Australia).

V1701

Visit site
If he's just sold his narrowboat he'll likely be aware that the boat market broadly speaking has gone from more of a buyer's market to more of a seller's one, one of the effects of the current pandemic. Consequently there are less boats for sale than there might otherwise be, the the good ones are snapped up quickly and there are the usual crop of not so good ones. So-called project boats are usually best avoided, they invariably cost more to get to a good standard than it would cost to buy a decent one to start with and often end up abandoned or sold half finished.

As already mentioned nobody should buy a boat without having first ensured that a suitable berth or mooring is available, coincidentally Brighton marina is huge and has a large community of liveaboards. Several of the posters here, myself included, are very familiar with it (I've been here for 11 years!)...