How much does it cost to live aboard a boat?

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Ahoy there Holly; might mention the River Medway in NE Kent is quite a lengthy River, so one can moor upstream for the Winter Months, oft in Villiages with facilities, local shops, Pubs, Cafe, Post Offices, and warmer than the Coast; then when required can sail downstream straight into the Tidal Parts of the River Medway at Alington Lock, and there are Moorings and Marinas available in the lower reaches of the River Medway; I know personaly of three Marinas and Two Boatyards that between them can offer almost all tastes and costs; there are a few Boat Clubs as well, Strood and Hoo, that offer I understand Living on Berths

Justa recomendation to you Holly

{186113}

Visit site
If he's just sold his narrowboat he'll likely be aware that the boat market broadly speaking has gone from more of a buyer's market to more of a seller's one, one of the effects of the current pandemic. Consequently there are less boats for sale than there might otherwise be, the the good ones are snapped up quickly and there are the usual crop of not so good ones. So-called project boats are usually best avoided, they invariably cost more to get to a good standard than it would cost to buy a decent one to start with and often end up abandoned or sold half finished.

As already mentioned nobody should buy a boat without having first ensured that a suitable berth or mooring is available, coincidentally Brighton marina is huge and has a large community of liveaboards. Several of the posters here, myself included, are very familiar with it (I've been here for 11 years!)...
Thanks fab advice and he knows about Brighton marina but doesn't want to live back there. x

{186113}

Visit site
Ahoy there Holly; might mention the River Medway in NE Kent is quite a lengthy River, so one can moor upstream for the Winter Months, oft in Villiages with facilities, local shops, Pubs, Cafe, Post Offices, and warmer than the Coast; then when required can sail downstream straight into the Tidal Parts of the River Medway at Alington Lock, and there are Moorings and Marinas available in the lower reaches of the River Medway; I know personaly of three Marinas and Two Boatyards that between them can offer almost all tastes and costs; there are a few Boat Clubs as well, Strood and Hoo, that offer I understand Living on Berths

Justa recomendation to you Holly
Thank you I am soo soo grateful for all this advice its amazing truly! x

Tranona

Visit site
Hi he owned a narrowboat and has just sold it so. now has the money to buy a sailing boat so he has some experience I guess. He is single (mum and dad divorced when I was little). He says he has plenty of savings and he works online so can work from anywhere which is really lucky for him. It's more of a lifestyle change for him as he loves the ocean and he was born in Brighton so misses it when here in Derbyshire.
I hope this helps does this then mean he is in a good position to live like this I'm guessing yes maybe? Thanks, Holly x
That puts him in a similar position to many posters here. The living in small spaces should not be a surprise, although sailing boats have less space for length because of the pointy ends!. Flexible working is also helpful. A common way in the past for changing lifestyle was to gradually move to warmer climates, but this is now constrained by the travel restrictions in Europe since Brexit. however there is still flexibility to spend chunks of time in the summer in France, for example from a south coast base.

Might I suggest a two stage process, the first to see if he actually likes sailing by taking an RYA Day skipper course which will give him the skills and also the practical experience on a similar size boat he might end up with. Then buy a modest boat around 30' to have a couple of years getting to know what h likes. Rarely is the first boat THE boat but the second will be close based on experience of the first. Although as suggested choice is limited at the moment, look for a popular cruising boat that needs little work - newish engine and sails and modern electronics plus clean and tidy interior. Such a boat may cost more, but will be easier to pass on and importantly mean he can concentrate on finding out what he can do with the boat rather than fixing it all the time. Boats like Westerly Konsort, Fulmar, Sadler 29 and 32, Moody 28/29/30 are the sorts of boat to look for, although there are many lesser known models to consider if they meet the condition criteria. These suggestions are based on a budget +/- £20k, but of course choices are different with different budgets! This size boat has enough space for living on for a single person, is easy to sail but sufficiently seaworthy to undertake both coastal and offshore passages such as across the channel.

If that works then if budget allows move up to a bigger (35' is a popular size) which offers greater space and capability while still OK for single handed sailing.

Hope this helps

{186113}

Visit site
That puts him in a similar position to many posters here. The living in small spaces should not be a surprise, although sailing boats have less space for length because of the pointy ends!. Flexible working is also helpful. A common way in the past for changing lifestyle was to gradually move to warmer climates, but this is now constrained by the travel restrictions in Europe since Brexit. however there is still flexibility to spend chunks of time in the summer in France, for example from a south coast base.

Might I suggest a two stage process, the first to see if he actually likes sailing by taking an RYA Day skipper course which will give him the skills and also the practical experience on a similar size boat he might end up with. Then buy a modest boat around 30' to have a couple of years getting to know what h likes. Rarely is the first boat THE boat but the second will be close based on experience of the first. Although as suggested choice is limited at the moment, look for a popular cruising boat that needs little work - newish engine and sails and modern electronics plus clean and tidy interior. Such a boat may cost more, but will be easier to pass on and importantly mean he can concentrate on finding out what he can do with the boat rather than fixing it all the time. Boats like Westerly Konsort, Fulmar, Sadler 29 and 32, Moody 28/29/30 are the sorts of boat to look for, although there are many lesser known models to consider if they meet the condition criteria. These suggestions are based on a budget +/- £20k, but of course choices are different with different budgets! This size boat has enough space for living on for a single person, is easy to sail but sufficiently seaworthy to undertake both coastal and offshore passages such as across the channel.

If that works then if budget allows move up to a bigger (35' is a popular size) which offers greater space and capability while still OK for single handed sailing.

Hope this helps
Amazing tips thank you soo much I will try and find out what boat he is wanting to tell you guys here if thats ok x

ridgy

Visit site
Sounds like your dad is well positioned to start his next adventure. The only thing I would add is that if he has minimal sailing experience then he should do a combined dayskipper theory/practical course which will not only tell him what he needs to know to make the transition to the sea, but also spend a couple of weeks talking about yachts with knowledgeable people, live aboard one for a week, and be able to discuss different models over a bottle of wine or two.

Also living in Derbyshire and wanting to learn there are some large reservoirs that offer big boat sailing and I could make introductions at Carsington for you and your dad.

{186113}

Visit site
Sounds like your dad is well positioned to start his next adventure. The only thing I would add is that if he has minimal sailing experience then he should do a combined dayskipper theory/practical course which will not only tell him what he needs to know to make the transition to the sea, but also spend a couple of weeks talking about yachts with knowledgeable people, live aboard one for a week, and be able to discuss different models over a bottle of wine or two.

Also living in Derbyshire and wanting to learn there are some large reservoirs that offer big boat sailing and I could make introductions at Carsington for you and your dad.
That's fab thank you soo much for this! I love Carsington actually and been on that water with dad x

STILL AFLOAT

Visit site
Why not buy a motor boat ! If he has allready had a canalboat, then something like a 35 - 37 ft motorboat, would make life easy ! and cost a lot less , in overall maintenance ? Having sailed across the atlantic & back, since 1991, with all the rigging & sails and ropes etc ! Retiring to a 37 ft motorboat, in the Canaries, is the cheapest thing I have ever done !
Good Luck !

{186113}

Visit site
Why not buy a motor boat ! If he has allready had a canalboat, then something like a 35 - 37 ft motorboat, would make life easy ! and cost a lot less , in overall maintenance ? Having sailed across the atlantic & back, since 1991, with all the rigging & sails and ropes etc ! Retiring to a 37 ft motorboat, in the Canaries, is the cheapest thing I have ever done !
Good Luck !
Amazing wow living in the Canaries thats living the dream I'm jealous! x