How much does a spinnaker add to the value of a boat?

Kelpie

Visit site
We've got our old boat up for sale just now. At the same time, we are considering various upgrades to the new one, and of those would be add a second spinny pole. We have plans to head off bluewater sailing with a twin headsail rig, and I like the idea of using two poles instead of just using a block on the boom, as I think it will give more options (e.g. the ability to fly the main sheeted hard in, to reduce rolling).
I've been looking for a few months now for a suitable spinny pole to come up second hand, but they're always at the wrong end of the country.
I know that getting a new pole ordered will be likely over £500.

So I can't help looking at the pole that goes with our old boat- it would be a pretty good fit. Would it be sensible to just drop the asking price a bit and keep the pole... or would that make the boat harder to sell?

prv

Visit site
Assuming you haven’t advertised it with the pole, or shown it to a potential buyer who’s still interested, I would just take the pole off and leave the price unchanged. I wouldn’t expect the presence or absence of a pole to make a significant difference in the asking price of a boat.

EDIT: This assumes a cruising boat where a spinnaker and pole would be considered optional equipment. If she’s a more performance or race-oriented design then its absence might be more of a concern to a buyer.

Pete

Quiddle

Visit site
I bought a 4m spinny pole off ebay for £80 and paid £15 to have it delivered 250 miles away. Personally, I see a pole as a 'must have' piece of kit, if only for use with the genny, and would factor it in to any purchase; not just the cost but the hassle of procurement and installation.

Edit: curiosity piqued, just checked and Tuffnells will deliver UK 'mainland' for £21

Last edited:

Kelpie

Visit site
I bought a 4m spinny pole off ebay for £80 and paid £15 to have it delivered 250 miles away. Personally, I see a pole as a 'must have' piece of kit, if only for use with the genny, and would factor it in to any purchase; not just the cost but the hassle of procurement and installation.

Edit: curiosity piqued, just checked and Tuffnells will deliver UK 'mainland' for £21

Interesting! I did once have a Wayfarer mast delivered for £45 but that was only from Glasgow to Lewis, by a local courier.
I don't particularly want to asset-strip the boat, but at the same time I don't want to let go of a perfect pole and then have to spend hundreds replacing it.
I'll continue the search secondhand for just now, but I think it will take some persuasion to get a seller to agree to anything other than local pickup. Living where I do, I have a lot of experience of being disappointed by people who are unwilling to go to the slightest effort to package something up.

Simon__

Visit site
Honestly, I imagine zero. I’m thinking of upgrading next year too and although I know the cost and value of peripherals I can’t imagine realising their value. It doesn’t sound great but if you’re at the lower end of the market with an old boat I’d leave it fairly bare and re-use or sell the kit.

For reference I’m in an old Vega and maybe that drives my thought process.

TernVI

Visit site
You might get the pole ends and the tube separately?
There are people who sell anodised tube and are competent at getting it shipped.

chris-s

Visit site
Ty the ‘boat scrapyard’ guys,
I’m sure they posted some poles on their Facebook page last week or so.