How many Camper Nicholson Gelyce survive?

burgundyben

Visit site
I know of 4 Nicholson Gelyce, longer ones are Gelyce on the Thames and I think Herringull in the USA. Shorter ones, Islay on the Thames and Lady Agnes in Cowes.

Any more survive?

ianc1200

Visit site
When he was alive Peter Freebody knew a lot about them. He had Gelyce in the yard for years and it was going to be sold to Peter de Savary & restored at Freebodys but the sale fell through. Peter Freebody then had to find another and I think it was Mauveen (prob wrong spelling) which was rebuilt and went somewhere to the west country. I believe Herring Gull was the one they did which went to the US. When I got involved with the running of the Trad Rally in the late 80's the then joint chairman Ray Rigg had one of the shorter ones, which he later sold to my boss and then it went to Italy - but can't remember the name.

burgundyben

Visit site
When he was alive Peter Freebody knew a lot about them. He had Gelyce in the yard for years and it was going to be sold to Peter de Savary & restored at Freebodys but the sale fell through. Peter Freebody then had to find another and I think it was Mauveen (prob wrong spelling) which was rebuilt and went somewhere to the west country. I believe Herring Gull was the one they did which went to the US. When I got involved with the running of the Trad Rally in the late 80's the then joint chairman Ray Rigg had one of the shorter ones, which he later sold to my boss and then it went to Italy - but can't remember the name.

Thank you.

Herring Gull and Mavourneen are both in the USA. Gelyce that was at Freebody's is now in rebuild in the UK. All 50ft.

I have learned that one is known of fairly recently in Amsterdam and one sold at auction in the UK in 2003.

I suspect there might be 7.

burgundyben

Visit site
I continue to be a Gelyce nerd/stalker. Here is the latest as far as I know.

Yard number 310 - Sans Peur in Amsterdam
Yard number 311 - Lady Agnes in Cowes
Yard number 313 - Islay on the Thames
Yard number 335 - Herringull in the USA
Yard number 383 - Suani on the Thames - restored
Yard number 386 - Mavourneen in the USA
Yard number 412 - Penguin - no idea, but sold Christies in 2003, so would expect to survive.
Yard number 413 - Mengeham - destroyed in 2017. Bastards.

burgundyben

Visit site
This is Lady Agnes

S1050473.jpg

I took the photo of Cowes a few years back. She's still in Cowes. I think the little ones are more elegant than the 50ft ones.

burgundyben

Visit site
How/why was Mengeham destroyed?

She was in a museum in Bordeaux, but privately owned, the museum folded and the local authority destroyed 14 boats in their clearing up, I understand there is some litigation underway. I've planned a family holiday to that area to go see her too!

These really give one an idea of what a "tender" ought to be!

They are all bigger than the Admiral's Barges that RN battleships carried when they were built...

Smallest was 26ft, but mostly between 38 and 50ft.

The 26ft boat must have been a beautiful little thing.

Freebee

Visit site
ive done nothing more than have a quick google so not writing with any knowledge but I can read about a 50 footer called Gelyce said to be in Falmouth. could that be the first of class?

burgundyben

Visit site
ive done nothing more than have a quick google so not writing with any knowledge but I can read about a 50 footer called Gelyce said to be in Falmouth. could that be the first of class?

From what I can see, at least 13 of them wore the name Gelyce at some point, sometimes suffixed with roman numerals, ie Gelyce II etc, but not in all cases.

Other threads that may be of interest