How long to make new sails

gordon029

Visit site
Hi I'm just wondering how long it takes to make a pair of fairly standard cruising sails for a 28 ft yacht.Has anyone got sails made recently and has delivery been affected by the current pandemic. Thank you for reading

smert

Visit site
We ordered a new main from Doyles in late Feb. We were expecting 7-8 weeks. Finally collected it a couple of weeks ago.

The sail was made in China so manufacture was affected, and because of the lower numbers of flights, shipping took longer than expected.

richardbrennan

Visit site
I think you will have to shop around. Makers that manufacture in the UK may well be your best bet, I'd try the local ones first, or might I suggest Kemps or Crusader.

Aurai

Visit site
When trying to push in for a sail repair, you find the tables are fully booked for sail building, which seems to take 1/2/3 days. Business Owners then step in and fix my repair before sail making staff arrive or after they leave for the day. Getting the cut sail parts to the table and scheduling the build, assuming materials are in stock, is another two days, but many get laser cut on the tables each day. Suggesting a full week for a typical cruiser. I would love to be a fly on the wall, in a sail makers, as I get promised date x, then go into crisis and they arrive 12 hours before the first race, 20-30 days after date x

gordon029

Visit site
Thank you all for your comments. I paid my 50%deposit in mid May and just received notice on friday that they were ready.Im not impressed

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
There are still sail makers that cut and make their own sails in the UK.

My last sail was made and finished by Jeckells in Norfolk. At the time, they purchased the cloth from a German company.