How is the used boat market this year?

driver0606

Visit site
I am thinking of changing my Med based 2006 Azimut 43 for a larger and rather newer boat this year. As usual my broker says its a buoyant market. Last year it was true. Anybody know the real truth about this year?

Laser310

Visit site
i don't know anything about motor yachts, but i can tell you that the brokerage inventory for the sail yachts that I have been looking for is a fraction - 50% or less than it was say two years ago. These are 40-46ft boats by X-Yachts and Arcona - two reasonably high quality Scandinavian builders.

alt

Visit site
Ireland is nuts at the moment, almost going out of control like the housing boom years back.

People actively asking if i'll sell my Cranchi... not a hope!

Laser310

Visit site
Thanks for your replies. What confuses me about the optimism, is that I am seeing a lot of the same yachts advertised month after month.

often you will find they are sold.., but the data base is not updated.

sometimes they are under offer...

and.., sometimes the boats have "problems"

oldgit

Visit site
there will always be a few lonely orphans on the market waiting to snare the unwary or the Ab initio boater.

Scapegoat

Visit site
Thanks for your replies. What confuses me about the optimism, is that I am seeing a lot of the same yachts advertised month after month.
From what I’ve seen at Thames brokers, the boats that “stick” tend to be those priced very optimistically, presented poorly (cluttered, shabby, grubby, dirty) or have unfixed problems. Other boats are shifting quickly - particularly where they have lots of photos and video walk rounds online

ari

Visit site

Some are brokers down to small levels of listings leaving sold boats online so they don't have an embarrassingly tiny number to show.

Liamba

Visit site
I offered on something this week. I reckon the boat was probably 15% overpriced and made an offer that I was prepared to pay. The boat sold unseen at full asking price without really making it on to the market. Just goes to show it wasn’t overpriced if someone was prepared to pay it.

Soco2

Visit site
But how are they able to sell all of these boats with so many people in lockdown and restricted travel?
Easily .. brokers can do “virtual” tours. Boats can be bought unseen etc.

There is no point in people waiting for restri to be over otherwise there will be zero choice.
a lot of boats on the web are sold Already.
The advert for the boat I put under offer in February has only just Changed to “under offer”

Good luck if your looking!

Momac

Visit site
There are very few boats advertised for sale with brokers locally to me. Most that are advertised are not very attractive.

It's no secret how good boats are for our wellbeing . Not at all surprising they are so popular at present. Not surprising few boats are being advertised as some must be selling before they are advertised. I imagine good brokers have people waiting to snap up anything reasonable.

The chances of typical holidays abroad in 2021 look slim . In any case who wants to get on a plane that has been standing unused for months, flown by a pilot who has been unemployed for those same months ?

Scapegoat

Visit site
Sold and bought last October. Thought the timing might have been poor as the new one has just sat in the Marina over the Winter. But looking at the market now, probably worked out well.