How I stay motivated fixing up my old boat

Restoration man

Visit site
At times while working on my boat it seems like it will never be done and there’s far to much to do , Ive felt like setting fire to the bleeding thing , but all i need to do is sit down have a coffee and watch some other boat restorations on you tube , it instantly makes me feel loads better , all my problems seems Insignificant compared to the work that ship happens / sailing yabba / and many more have got on there plates , I know lots people don’t like the way ship happens and some of the other YouTubers are doing things or the fact that they get donated stuff etc but if that’s what it takes to keep these channels going then I don’t see the harm, in a way there actually helping me by keeping me motivated and stopping me getting to depressed ,so thanks YouTube

Tranona

Visit site
Boat fixing should only be done when it is more of a means than an end if you want to enjoy it. It becomes a chore when you want the end to come and you can sail off into the sunset.

That is where so many go wrong, believing that you can pick up a run down boat and turn it into a dream boat in a short period of time (and without spending a fortune). Getting a good balance of "fixing" and sailing is not easy.

KevinV

Visit site
At times while working on my boat it seems like it will never be done and there’s far to much to do , Ive felt like setting fire to the bleeding thing , but all i need to do is sit down have a coffee and watch some other boat restorations on you tube , it instantly makes me feel loads better , all my problems seems Insignificant compared to the work that ship happens / sailing yabba / and many more have got on there plates , I know lots people don’t like the way ship happens and some of the other YouTubers are doing things or the fact that they get donated stuff etc but if that’s what it takes to keep these channels going then I don’t see the harm, in a way there actually helping me by keeping me motivated and stopping me getting to depressed ,so thanks YouTube
I go and sit on the stern with a cigarette (so the smoke doesn't bother anyone on board), close my eyes and pretend the sound of wind in the trees is actually water lapping against the hull in a quiet anchorage :)

scozzy

Visit site
2yrs after reviving my project boat, externally Ambition looks a treat and sails great ? mostly thanks to several degrees I've earned from the university of YouTube
....the interior...not so much!
It's still a basic shell inside except for the snazzy electronics board and I'll finish it one day,at some point,soon..

The Q

Visit site
Boat designed and built 1996 -1999.
Brought back to the UK 2001, parked in shed. Went sailing all year round in other peoples boats..
2015, boat extracted from shed for rebuild before use.. I intended to finish her before I was 60..
Two deaths in the family preceded by serious illnesses, made progress glacial..
Relaunched 2022 (March)
I'm retiring in December... a little bit less than state pension age.. (66)

The Carrot, I wanted to go sailing in MY boat.
That I'm now doing and working through various development issues.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Boat designed and built 1996 -1999.
Brought back to the UK 2001, parked in shed. Went sailing all year round in other peoples boats..
2015, boat extracted from shed for rebuild before use.. I intended to finish her before I was 60..
Two deaths in the family preceded by serious illnesses, made progress glacial..
Relaunched 2022 (March)
I'm retiring in December... a little bit less than state pension age.. (66)

The Carrot, I wanted to go sailing in MY boat.
That I'm now doing and working through various development issues.

There's hope for some of us yet! (y)

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I never actually bought a project boat but I did buy boats that had been neglected and needed some TLC but were sound enough to sail wherever I wished so I spent years on continual refits which I enjoyed apart from the better part of two days upside down in a locker trying to fit a pedestal and autopilot drive with one hand.

jamie N

Visit site
Observant types will notice the lack of the 'vertical thing', called by some "A Mast".
The lack of this has led to doing all of the jobs that had been previously filed under "I'll get around to that", and filed in "Miscellaneous", thus my days are taken up with doing a great deal of 'permanenting' of stuff that I'd originally fitted on a 'temporary, it'll do' basis., but not in the order that they were originally done which causes even more amusement.
Gin is the answer.
1656001376541.png

Last edited:

V1701

Visit site
My current boat (Colvic Watson 34) was someone else's project. Moulded around 1980, sold for home completion, changed hands twice before owner number three fitted her out as his retirement project between 2007 & 2011. He did a wonderful job, took her down through the canals to south of France where she stayed for a few years before returning...

steveeasy

Visit site
Ok.
been through this. It’s a big lurking curve. Don’t get carried away and get too tired. I got my Twister from a breakers I kept it in the water. I rebuilt the cockpit and did everything structural. I made her safe then went sailing. I then went back to work on things again. I kept sailing. I kept upgrading each year. Motivation was to make my boat look better than others. To prove I could do it. So much pain. I live 200 miles from boat. 6 years on. Wow it’s been so rewarding. 99 % of people you meet are great the others put you down. I get tired and struggle with things. Hard sail today. You need to tell yourself how lucky you are and have realistic targets.
My sailing has been so massively rewarding to my life.
It also helps having other good boats around you to motivate you. Post pics. We enjoy good projects to follow. Good luck.
steveeasy

pmagowan

sites.google.com
The solution is to buy a second boat to sail while you fix the first one. We are on boat number three now with two out of the water being repaired and the third in the water and also being repaired!!

Halo

Visit site
Get a second job and pay someone to do it.
If that will take too long sell for whatever you can get and buy a boat ,however small, that you can actually sail right now.
Life is too short for large restorations that you are not enjoying