Votes: 36 11.7%
  • More than 100 miles

Votes: 73 23.8%
  • Live aboard

Votes: 8 2.6%

• Total voters

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Given the interest in lockdown regulations, how far people live from their boats may have a bearing on how the regulations are eased for boat-owners. I've always assumed that most folk live some distance from their boats, but it will be interesting to get some sort of statistics!

doug748

Visit site
Good thought, it will be interesting.

I think the only just way to unlock us is to treat boats just like second homes, residential caravans and sited mobile homes. The Government will probably be unwilling to unleash this full mob, at an early stage, because of the implications for cross country travel.
Heigh ho.

xyachtdave

Visit site
If I swim about 50 metres, or can drive to yacht club on other side of river and get dinghy out about 3 miles in total.

Depends on tide and water temperature which way I roll.

chubby

www.flickr.com
8 miles or 10-12 minutes drive to an open plan boatyard with a couple of hundred yards to a swinging mooring, the boatyard café does click and collect food under strict conditions: timed appointments, pre pay and pre order and food placed in a bag on a table in the middle of the car park so easily complies with social distancing for collection of food supplies. I can either inspect the boat through binoculars from the car park, walk down the pontoons linked to the shore to within a few boats lengths or go out in the dinghy to let me more closely inspect, check bilges and batteries.

although many harbours are closed, Lymington harbour master accepts that an occasional visit to safeguard property is allowable: in keeping with the policy that you can drive a short distance for a long walk but not a long distance for a minimal walk, it is against the spirit of the rules to drive long distances and spend all day sunbathing on board, but a short drive occasionally to spend less than half an hour checking the boat is reasonable?

There is also the comparison with allotments: my MAB is more like an allotment shed than a second home!

Reactions: DJE

Beneteau381

Visit site
1300 mil
Given the interest in lockdown regulations, how far people live from their boats may have a bearing on how the regulations are eased for boat-owners. I've always assumed that most folk live some distance from their boats, but it will be interesting to get some sort of statistics!
es and a big white bird!

Refueler

Visit site
Posh marinas would probably have less locals. The swing moorings where I am are far from posh, and are mostly locals.

When I lived in UK (Hampshire) .... all the Clubs restricted membership to 'local' ... based on a radius of x miles. Many had what they called 'Distance Memberships' but they were limited number depending on number of locals. But Marina's didn't care - pay yer money - park yer boat.

I remember that when as a family we lived in Sussex -my Father had membership and mooring at Fareham Sailing Club ... later when I had my own boat and lived in Cowplain - the same club was reluctant to accept my application as they said I was just outside the local radius. Things had changed over the years.
Tudor Club in Langstone had similar - but I was inside their radius so was accepted ok.

RupertW

Visit site
1700 miles for me. But even when I kept a boat in the UK it was often based more than 100 miles away (e.g. London to Plymouth), so the travel time was similar to now, and often cheaper compared to a train.

The joy of boating for me has always meant arriving at the boat somewhere very different to the place I live. So having a boat nearby would be like buying a second home right by your first home. I wouldn’t feel on holiday at all.

But we all make our own odd choices when owning boats.

Refueler

Visit site
1700 miles for me. But even when I kept a boat in the UK it was often based more than 100 miles away (e.g. London to Plymouth), so the travel time was similar to now, and often cheaper compared to a train.

The joy of boating for me has always meant arriving at the boat somewhere very different to the place I live. So having a boat nearby would be like buying a second home right by your first home. I wouldn’t feel on holiday at all.

But we all make our own odd choices when owning boats.

I can honestly say that even just sitting on the boat at bottom of garden - its like stepping through a door .. I switch off from daily job ... it feels bad when the phone rings and snaps me back to work again ..

Mucking about on the river ... upstream are islands you can nose up to - throw anchor or stake into and enjoy BBQ etc.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Well, I'd guess that about half the land area of England is more than 50 miles from sailable salt water. I could check it out! I live near Ely, and the nearest marina is at Ipswich, and I actually keep her at Titchmarsh. Technically Kings Lynn is possible, but a) there are few if any facilities for sea going leisure boats and b) I had enough of shallow, muddy estuaries when I was a youngster!

ryanroberts

Visit site
Too far currently. Before full midlife crisis I was attempting a compromise of keeping a boat near Ipswich and living on land in Grantham. Just about a viable weekend commute if you can knock off early.

I'd rather not deal with kakta trap situation of justifying moving aboard in current circumstances, some normal leisure boating needs to be going on.

Last edited:

Other threads that may be of interest