How do cats do it ?

andrewhopkins

Visit site
Had a great sail last weekend from Parkstone to Cowes and back home to Shamrock Quay.

I arrived into Cowes about 6.30-7pm and Yacht Haven, Sheppards, etc wer full so trundled up to East Cowes and was given a space for my 35footer rafted 3 up but very comfortable.

Now, I hear great things about Cats. The space, the speed, the way your can of beer sits on a table but where do they berth ?

If you turned up with a 40ft Catamaran, do you have to go for a mooring bouy ? Or do they not stay away from their home berth ?

jamesjermain

Visit site
Aye! There\'s the rub

And one reason why cats are not as popular as they might be.
Unless there is room on a hammerhead or two side-by-side berths are free cat skippers are stuffed as far as most marinas are concerned. If there are no free buoys or piles either then they have to go somewhere else

Of course they can always lie to their own tackle in a quite, protected anchorage; and their shallow draught and ability to dry upright, makes them ideally suited to this

JJ

oldsaltoz

Visit site
Most Marina’s are now including end fingers or fingerless pontoons in the design; this provides more space for catamarans and lengthy craft to berth side too. Yes it will cost a little more but cat owners know they can sit on the beach at low tide for nothing, or drop anchor in water too shallow for fixed keel monohulls. A small price to pay for the extra speed, extra space, less spray and more comfort, not to mention the saving in spilt drinks when tacking.
Old Salt Oz.

G

Are you still tumbling around in mono`s,cats are the most wonderful machines mine is only 30ft(9m) but two people can live comfortable on it.I`m 72 and have just completed building a roger simpson ground effect,I sail off the florida east coast.

double trouble

G

Re: Aye! There\'s the rub

James Jermain writes

> And one reason why cats are not as popular as they might be.
Unless there is room on a hammerhead or two side-by-side berths are free cat skippers are stuffed as far as most marinas are concerned. If there are no free buoys or piles either then they have to go somewhere else

Depends on the cat. Many 10Mtr cats are no wider than the maximum beam of a 12 Mtr Mono. My own 32ft long boat is about 13ft wide.

> Of course they can always lie to their own tackle in a quite, protected anchorage; and their shallow draught and ability to dry upright, makes them ideally suited to this

Yes, with a draft of only 15 inches with the boards up there are a huge range of creeks and harbours open to me. OK, so no hot showers and some application of tidal ranges is required but then you can't have everything. Being able to put a mug of tea down while going about and living life on an even keel makes up for a lot!

Regards

Fred