How basic??

Alpha22

Visit site
I had a Sea Scout leader that used to take kids accross the channel in an ex RN whaler, with little more than a torch, a flask, a chart in a poly bag and a silva compass (Hiking type, not nautical.)

Last reports are he is still alive and boating.

It is a mirricle he never killed anyone.

D.

<hr width=100% size=1>Last weekend was shopping darling........ so this weekend is boating. (Duck!)

mainshiptom

Visit site
I normally cross on a compass bearing only !

I must have crossed the chanel 10-20 times , I do carry a gps but mainly use a compass, I have got spoiled having an old radar on my boat but apart from looking at the coastline and checking on distance to boats bigger then me I can not see the point unless fogy ?

Tom

Ps boating is about doing it not having it (The Kit)

<hr width=100% size=1>

CharlesM

Visit site
Sounds great.

Really a pity this country has become so care-bear that adventures such as this cannot happen anymore.

In my childhood during a scouting trip we did a simulated rescue on a railway bridge. When the train came we all jumped onto the concrete pillars and waited while the train passed a few feet above our heads before continuing the exercise.

Try that nowadays and those scout leaders will be sued before the train is passed... If I had kids I certainly would wish they could experiance life like I did as a kid. Now schools won't even take have sports days because its 'too competative'!!

aarghhh!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Marsupial

Visit site
I find that generaly if you leave england with england at the back of the boat eventually france will appear at the front. wots a compass?

<hr width=100% size=1>

robp

Visit site
Or Spain, or Portugal, or Africa, or Canaries! Nice to dream...

<hr width=100% size=1>

Marsupial

Visit site
Ahh yes, the butter route now that's true navigation, all you need is the sun and a pound of butter.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Marsupial

Visit site
No from liverpool it wont but then the task is to cross the channel not the atlantic. The butter route from say Southampton or Brighton would I think be a great adventure.

Many years ago (40) about 10 yachts "cruised" to france, about 36 hours later some of them arrived on a sandy shore that could have been france, about seven or eight boats emerged from a fog over a period of a hour or so, remarkably all "lost" on same bearing. Confronted with poor vis and not sure where they were they rafted up to compare notes, because few boats had VHF. they disscussed important things like which sand dune did they recognise and which way did they think calais was. It was around then that they realised that no one had a chart!

Before that I was "taught" to sail, well more a demonstration really, by a outfit called the Royal Navy, they took us out into the solent in a gaff rigged whaler, no charts, no compass, (or if they had one it was hidden) just mark one eyeballs. Spent 2 weeks doing that, often we couldn't see land but then the guy on helm seemed to be able to find it again with no trouble. I was impressed but I was only 9!

Later in life I was luckyt enought to be "taught" navigation by a super tanker navigation officer, who explained how he kept the ship safe, he would get the crew to plot fixes on the chart and then spread one of his huge hands on it in the general vicinity of the cocked hat and say, gentlemen lets assume we are somewhere near here, what is our most risky position - assuming that assumption is correct?

Yes of course I use GPS and before that DECCA but I have never forgotten that lesson - when there is doubt always assume you are in the worst possible place, out of all the posssible places and work up a plan from there.

SO how basic for a channel crossing? Compass, Chart ,Tidetables, and breton plotters I suppose, with electronics in reserve, if you have them.

If its an organised event I fear that there will have to be a balance between what would be interesting as opposed to what may be considered (by some) as reckless.

In the end the weather on the day will decide.

Cheers

David

<hr width=100% size=1>

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
You're a real "devil-may-care" adventurer, aren't you?

What bit of the continent are you aiming for next time? If they use kroner you're too far North!

All the best

William

<hr width=100% size=1>Experience is a good teacher, but she sends in terrific bills.

Magpie

Visit site
Hi
As a Coastguard Watch Manager at Dover I would have to agree with David's contribution.
An adventure is only such as long as it is safe. Otherwise it is a dissaster.
Coastguards at Dover will aid your safe crossing if you ask them to. Ask for the level of shipping activity for the area you intend to cross and if there is a window through which you could cross. Tidal and weather information is available or you may wish to lodge a Transit Report; pass your vessels name, callsign, point of departure, where you are bound, your ETA and the number of persons on board. If then something untoward should occur during your passage then at least we would have something to initiate a search for you. There is also a small boat safety scheme (CG66). Your vessel details and contacts are kept on a Coastguard database. The information is available to all Coastguard stations and it is proven that the information you provide helps when a search and rescue operation is required. You can get a CG66 form from a number of places; The form is available on the Maritime and Coastguard Agency web site or you could telephone your local Coastguard station and ask for the CG66 form to be sent to you by mail.
There is also advise available when crossing the Shipping lanes on the Dover Coastguard web site. www.dovercoastguard.org
Regards Rob

<hr width=100% size=1>

moodycruiser

www.pctony.co.uk
on my first live-aboard i sailed from uk to, and all around the western med with only compass, sextant and rdf. great feeling of achievement when you actually hit the port you were aiming for !!
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>Tony

scotty123

Visit site
No from liverpool it wont but then the task is to cross the channel not the atlantic. The butter route from say Southampton or Brighton would I think be a great adventure.

Many years ago (40) about 10 yachts "cruised" to france, about 36 hours later some of them arrived on a sandy shore that could have been france, about seven or eight boats emerged from a fog over a period of a hour or so, remarkably all "lost" on same bearing. Confronted with poor vis and not sure where they were they rafted up to compare notes, because few boats had VHF. they disscussed important things like which sand dune did they recognise and which way did they think calais was. It was around then that they realised that no one had a chart!

Before that I was "taught" to sail, well more a demonstration really, by a outfit called the Royal Navy, they took us out into the solent in a gaff rigged whaler, no charts, no compass, (or if they had one it was hidden) just mark one eyeballs. Spent 2 weeks doing that, often we couldn't see land but then the guy on helm seemed to be able to find it again with no trouble. I was impressed but I was only 9!

Later in life I was luckyt enought to be "taught" navigation by a super tanker navigation officer, who explained how he kept the ship safe, he would get the crew to plot fixes on the chart and then spread one of his huge hands on it in the general vicinity of the cocked hat and say, gentlemen lets assume we are somewhere near here, what is our most risky position - assuming that assumption is correct?

Yes of course I use GPS and before that DECCA but I have never forgotten that lesson - when there is doubt always assume you are in the worst possible place, out of all the posssible places and work up a plan from there.

SO how basic for a channel crossing? Compass, Chart ,Tidetables, and breton plotters I suppose, with electronics in reserve, if you have them.

If its an organised event I fear that there will have to be a balance between what would be interesting as opposed to what may be considered (by some) as reckless.

In the end the weather on the day will decide.

Cheers

David

<hr width=100% size=1>
Amazed you couldn't see land when out in the Solent, were you doing blind nav? ;)

scotty123

Visit site
Hi
As a Coastguard Watch Manager at Dover I would have to agree with David's contribution.
An adventure is only such as long as it is safe. Otherwise it is a dissaster.
Coastguards at Dover will aid your safe crossing if you ask them to. Ask for the level of shipping activity for the area you intend to cross and if there is a window through which you could cross. Tidal and weather information is available or you may wish to lodge a Transit Report; pass your vessels name, callsign, point of departure, where you are bound, your ETA and the number of persons on board. If then something untoward should occur during your passage then at least we would have something to initiate a search for you. There is also a small boat safety scheme (CG66). Your vessel details and contacts are kept on a Coastguard database. The information is available to all Coastguard stations and it is proven that the information you provide helps when a search and rescue operation is required. You can get a CG66 form from a number of places; The form is available on the Maritime and Coastguard Agency web site or you could telephone your local Coastguard station and ask for the CG66 form to be sent to you by mail.
There is also advise available when crossing the Shipping lanes on the Dover Coastguard web site. www.dovercoastguard.org
Regards Rob

<hr width=100% size=1>
I remember making a transit report to Solent CG, telling them I was bound for Falmouth, with full details.
Upon arrival, dutifully reported to Falmouth CG & was told basically that I had to phone Solent CG myself. This was prior to the mobile phone era, so seemed a useless exercise if CG's don't liaise.