Horrible boat name !

Daedelus

Visit site
Fishing boat in Gosport somewhere called Mutt's Nutts,

Did a day skipper course on a sigma called Mustigo

Entering Yarmouth the HM asked us to raft alongside a boat called "Fat bottom Lady" - as we got closer we noticed a woman in the cockpit but no one else around. We chickened out and eventually called out "Excuse us, HM asked us to moor alongside." Later we got chatting and she told us that they had bought the boat from a racing syndicate but she had given up calling on the VHF and left it to her husband,

langstonelayabout

Visit site
Have just bought a new boat whose name we don't want to change but am considering changing the tender's name to that well known Morecambe and Wise classic:
Boom Oo Yata-Ta-Ta -

A pleasant name, yes, but can you imagine making a Mayday call?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

SimonKNZ

Visit site
A few I’ve encountered:
Wellard - because it was (a fast racing skiff of some sort)
Kinnell - an overpowered speedboat (and what passengers said when it was powered up)
Shy Talk - this was a RN welfare society narrow boat. For those that don’t know, the name is ”jack speak” for a seagull (phonetically)
Luxury Yacht - a very shabby little trailer-sailer
And lastly, was it coincidence that one of the first RN ships with female crew, with their first deployment being to USA, was HMS Beaver?

Mataji

Visit site
There was/is a boat on the Scottish west coast called Shy Talk. The skipper calls the coast guard for a radio check every time he goes out. Not amusing after the 1st time you hear it.

Last edited:

neil1967

Visit site
There was (might still be) a RIB moored is Gosport, named 'crime pays', which i always thought was in poor taste, but i now understand that the owner is a solicitor/barrister.........

Frogmogman

Visit site
In Davey J Ashfield's book "A turkey and one more easter egg" about his experiences in construction in the oil and gas industry, he mentions a contractor in the far east who was reputed to have a large and opulent yacht in Monaco.

The name of the tender was "Original Contract", while the yacht was called "Change Order".

Aardee

Visit site
It seems incredible to me that so many people have such disrespect for their boats that they give them such risible names.
What gets into someone's head to spend all that money on something they presumably enjoy and then give it a name that just generates ridicule, especially if they ever have to use the VHF?

I saw a clever (if rather worrying) one recently in Greek waters, a hideous 30m pile of glitzy Russian flagged bad-taste bling named "Drughi Dom".
Now I know that means 'Second Home' in Russian, but the play on words is so blatant it surely cannot be a coincidence, and the couldn't-care-less in yer face nature of such a public advert is pretty shonky, imho.
But then, perhaps all it intended to say was 'Second Home' - though somehow I doubt it.

And why do so many boats have a name ending in 'May'? Daisy May, Sally May etc. I'm always tempted at add a 'Not' to those.

My daughters middle names are Grace and May, so my boat's Gracie May...

escapism

Visit site
Those gripped by this thread should surely be planning a Baltic cruise to treasure the boat names encountered, particularly those with performance pretentions. Fart means Fast in Norwegian, Swedish and Danish. Fart Dam is just the start.