Horrible boat name !

Daedelus

Visit site
Knew a boat apparently owned by a heart surgeon which was called Tachycardia - makes the heart beat faster.

Large mobo called Dilligaf - I looked it up on the net thinking it might be a plant or something - it's not, it's initial letters like IIRC. Look it up for yourself.

Dan Tribe

Visit site
A few years ago in Gib I saw a mobo bigger than the one that I was driving Bullpup tender to Bulldog
I used to own a boat called Starfox. We named our tender Basil Brush, because he was a fox and a TV star. Too subtle?
Boom boom.

johnalison

Visit site
Knew a boat apparently owned by a heart surgeon which was called Tachycardia - makes the heart beat faster.
Diastole, meaning rest, is not uncommon, as are medical terms in general. Many diseases would look good as boat names, if in doubtful taste. 'Malaria', 'Colitis', or 'Carcinoma' are all euphonious but unusable. I decided not to call a red boat we owned in the '70s 'Scarlet Fever' since there would have been people whose relatives had died of the disease.

On a non-medical note, I was disapproving of a boat called 'Great Escape' for a similar reason, since fifty POWs were killed in the action, one of them the father of my art teacher.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Diastole, meaning rest, is not uncommon, as are medical terms in general. Many diseases would look good as boat names, if in doubtful taste. 'Malaria', 'Colitis', or 'Carcinoma' are all euphonious but unusable. I decided not to call a red boat we owned in the '70s 'Scarlet Fever' since there would have been people whose relatives had died of the disease.

Malaria-Sailing-Vessel-Sail-Foil-Font-Ship-Name-4188179.jpg

Halo

Visit site
Well I started this thread and was amazed by the response- and then I thought of a former workmate called Brian Jones. A manxman and highly educated civil engineer who often put me right and told me “ Martin no one ever lost money by underestimating the taste of the great British public “ Well non of us here have given poor names to our boats but we have all smiled at them! Cheers guys ???

wully1

Visit site
I was told a tale many years ago of a fisherman who tried to register his boat with the name “ Shyle of Pyte” which was refused as was his next application ” The Girl Donald”

Dunno how it ended up being named.

Lucy52

Visit site
There was a very early Golden Hind 31 called 'Old Cataract', a name which might be considered to be in bad taste as cataracts are the cause half of world blindness. The yacht has now been broken up.

Frogmogman

Visit site
There was a very early Golden Hind 31 called 'Old Cataract', a name which might be considered to be in bad taste as cataracts are the cause half of world blindness. The yacht has now been broken up.

Maybe it had leaky decks, and was called cataract as in waterfall.