Hoping to return to the East Coast; a question of draft

Daydream believer

Visit site
I have been based in the thames estuary since 1968 & ran aground with 1.2 metres draft Stella loads of times, because I was racing & tide dodging & pre GPS days.Seafarer echo sounders were the work of the devil.
Never had a problem with my current boat with 1.8 metre draft & a proper echo sounder. So do not worry about it in the Thames estuary unless you have a drying anchorage. If you want a deep water one I can get you one in the Blackwater.

I do confess that I ran aground & lost my rudder in 2014. That was in the Murray Firth. So do not go there with deep draft.

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
I'm surprised Southerly's haven't popped in the conversation, until now. Mine draws 0.8m keel up 3.3m keel down, floats on the proverbial wet tea cloth, sits flat when dried out and goes to windward better than most cruising boats.
Ideal for the East Coast?

jaydee1976

Visit site
I am on the deben but right up near the tide mill on a swing mooring, my boat a pretty rare kingshark 20 called Half A Crown a blue and white grp you may see me learning how the river flows and the sand banks of which i havent yet ground out but i expect i will at some point so far i havent gone downstream any further than the rocks as just learning how my boat handles..