Hoping to return to the East Coast; a question of draft

johnalison

Visit site
Its not that bad, a couple of weeks ago we came out of the Ore at about 1.5 hours before high (for a quicker passage to Felixstowe) having left Orford 3 hours before high, and that was at the top of springs. A few more revs than normal but it doesn't hurt to give the engine a bit of a run from time to time. Anchoring in the Butley River is an option too.
Leaving the Deben or the Ore is manageable, I view the risk of not being able to return as more of an issue should the weather turn or after nightfall, hence we are on the Orwell.
We used to use the Butley to shorten the trip to the entrance. It was OK as a visitor, but the Ore is more demanding overall than the Deben and less attractive as a base unless one lived nearby. I do like its wildness though and remember our excitement when we saw some of the first avocets there in the early '70s.

fredrussell

Visit site
Lots of mythology about drafts and east coast sailing...
It’s not mythology - just a simple fact, a boat that draws 40cms will get places a boat that draws 2m will not. I crossed both the Deben and Ore bars at low water in my Super Seal, which meant I had all of the flood tide to get back to Ipswich. The weekend Before last Hamford Water anchorage was packed. I tucked the keel up and got right up the far end away from all the bustle. Added to that is the ability to run them up the beach for maintenance - saves a fortune in lift outs.

sailorman

Visit site
It’s not mythology - just a simple fact, a boat that draws 40cms will get places a boat that draws 2m will not. I crossed both the Deben and Ore bars at low water in my Super Seal, which meant I had all of the flood tide to get back to Ipswich. The weekend Before last Hamford Water anchorage was packed. I tucked the keel up and got right up the far end away from all the bustle. Added to that is the ability to run them up the beach for maintenance - saves a fortune in lift outs.
How often do you remove the keel for maintenance & are there any issues with them

sailorman

Visit site
Its not that bad, a couple of weeks ago we came out of the Ore at about 1.5 hours before high (for a quicker passage to Felixstowe) having left Orford 3 hours before high, and that was at the top of springs. A few more revs than normal but it doesn't hurt to give the engine a bit of a run from time to time. Anchoring in the Butley River is an option too.
Leaving the Deben or the Ore is manageable, I view the risk of not being able to return as more of an issue should the weather turn or after nightfall, hence we are on the Orwell.
Leave Orford when the tide starts to flood, in a S/W breeze sail in no water ( a foot under the keel ), follow the contours, we beat boats that are out in the tide, with engines running hard & near the entrance catch the eddy & zoom out, all very satisfying

Chae_73

Visit site
I had the pleasure of surveying her at Melton boatyard in Woodbridge the tail end of 2012 - you'll be please to know she was in very good order. Saw her again (in passing) at the Lowestoft Cruising Club last year, so she's very much still around.

Thank you for the update. I'm glad to hear that Nasiim is still around on the east coast and hopefully the current owners are enjoying the boat.

I celebrated my 18th birthday aboard Nasiim. We were in a flat calm attempting to enter the Kyles of Bute. I was avoiding using the engine as it had overheated earlier on in the journey. So we just floated backward and forward with the tide for a few hours, and I enjoyed a small dram of Glenfiddich whilst my crew slept.

Eventually some wind arose and we made it to the mooring outside my late grandfather's house near Rhubodach.

half tonner

Visit site
I draw 1.85 & have no problem whatsoever. I prefer the performance over the need to dry out every time. I feel that creek sailing is not what it is cracked up to be. It has been said by others on this forum--Once one has sailed up one muddy creek one has sailed up them all-- I tend to agree
There are loads of deep water moorings available if one takes the time to look.
Personally I prefer a decent marina every time. If you are retired then endless lugging of dinghies to waters edge & motoring/rowing, climbing aboard, carting gear back & forth trying to maintain a boat on a mooring, filling fuel & water is just not worth the hassle at 65-75 years of age. Spend the dosh if you have it. You do not have many years more of playing at boats left.

Chae_73

Visit site
So, I was 100% set on a heavy displacement long keeled craft; Halmatic 30, Rustler 31, Nicholson 31.

Now I've spotted a reasonably tidy Westerly Storm 33. It looks like a lot of boat for the money. Head vs Heart...

PeterWright

Visit site
My previous boat was a Westerly Storm -they're great sea boats with better accomodation than the much vaunted Fulmar to which a Storm must give time and the cockpit layout is a dream. Beware the Storm cruiser - same boat with a smaller rig taken from the smaller Tempest and a bigger enginevto make up for it.

James W

Visit site
My previous boat was a Westerly Storm -they're great sea boats with better accomodation than the much vaunted Fulmar to which a Storm must give time and the cockpit layout is a dream. Beware the Storm cruiser - same boat with a smaller rig taken from the smaller Tempest and a bigger enginevto make up for it.
So, I was 100% set on a heavy displacement long keeled craft; Halmatic 30, Rustler 31, Nicholson 31.

Now I've spotted a reasonably tidy Westerly Storm 33. It looks like a lot of boat for the money. Head vs Heart...
I’ve one for sale in Tollesbury, the draft doesn’t hinder me there and I’m on the saltings. Great family boat for 4, having to size up a bit as there are 5 of us. Worth a look!

Chae_73

Visit site
Last weekend, we completed the sale and handover of Forceten, in a rather damp morning at Shotley marina. Previous owners were most helpful. For various reasons, we weren't able to move her around to the Deben, so she's stayed in Shotley for another week - thank you to the good people at the marina.

We are going back tomorrow and all being well, will make our first (short) passage in our new boat, from Shotley to Felixstowe Ferry.

forceten small.jpg

PeterWright

Visit site
HiChae,

The Storm is a wonderful sea kindly boat - she will look after you in conditions when many others of her size would make you wish you weren't there.

As I said in post #29, above, we cruised and raced Stormalong out of Levington and Burnham for over 10 years, visiting ports between Lowestoft and Brest - she never put a foot wrong and when I got it wrong she just got on with the job happily.

Happy sailing.

Peter.

Last edited:

pvb

Visit site
Last weekend, we completed the sale and handover of Forceten, in a rather damp morning at Shotley marina. Previous owners were most helpful. For various reasons, we weren't able to move her around to the Deben, so she's stayed in Shotley for another week - thank you to the good people at the marina.

We are going back tomorrow and all being well, will make our first (short) passage in our new boat, from Shotley to Felixstowe Ferry.

View attachment 100255

Congratulations on being the new owner of "Force Ten"; I've seen the boat in the marina many times and it always looked well cared for, and was frequently used too, so you shouldn't have any unforeseen problems. Enjoy!