Holms Race 2015

tatali0n

www.scapegoatsanon.co.uk
We stuck up against the sand banks where arguably we didn't get as much of a tidal push but it was much more comfortable than slap bang in the channel.

Were you the guys with the crew doing the little victory dance as you caught up with us off Flatholm?

15-DSC_3905.JPG

If so, you have a gorgeous boat :)

Last edited:

tatali0n

www.scapegoatsanon.co.uk
Does anybody have the results?

I took a photo of the results sheet Saturday evening. I won't post directly here, as I'm not sure it's mine to give out if they haven't published the official results yet, but you can find it at the bottom of the associated post on my site www.scapegoatsanon.blogspot.co.uk/.../holms-race.html.

I did read a FB post from the BCYA that suggested there were a couple of boats not included in Saturday's results that should've been, so these results might change a little I guess (something about entry forms going temporarily astray?)

Last edited:

trapezeartist

www.littlehotels.co.uk
I did read a FB post from the BCYA that suggested there were a couple of boats not included in Saturday's results that should've been, so these results might change a little I guess (something about entry forms going temporarily astray?)

Yes, that's right. I imagine final results will be out soon. No idea whether there will be any material changes.

SY Vega did a fine job of cutting away their damaged rig and converting to MV Vega. Congratulations to them on handling a difficult situation well.

All in all, a challenging but enjoyable day. I can well understand those who stayed close to Middle Grounds to get some smoother water. Out in the channel we may have had a bit more tide, but banging into the waves really hurt our boatspeed so I don't think we gained much, if any.

Tim Good

Visit site
Were you the guys with the crew doing the little victory dance as you caught up with us off Flatholm?

If so, you have a gorgeous boat :)

Haha yes that is us! Any chance you could pm me a link to the high res version :)

We did awful and yet those conditions totally suited us. I don't want to blame handicap but we were down as equal to the likes of some J series boats and an Élan. I think they just thought oh 43ft they must be as fast as a big beneteau or some other modern thing. Rant over :p

Temujin

Visit site
Results recalculated with the missing boats added:

Fantasy (Hunter Sonata TSC) won, White Spirit PCC 2nd, Barracuda (Achilles 24 TSC) 3rd

Snifter

Visit site
Excellent race in testing conditions! Thanks to PCC for organising it again - to get 41 boats across the finishing line with a forecast like the one on the day was very pleasing.
It's a long day for Thornbury boats. A two hour slog down to Portishead and an hour and a half back, with a bit of anchoring or stooging around before and after the race, waiting for the optimum start time or enough water to get back into Oldbury Pill. It was a very fast race this year - we managed 4hours 39 mins, averaging around 8kts. Given the tacking on the beat down, it was surprisingly quick, but the Sonata and A24 flew back on the tide as fast as much bigger boats.
A great day out!