Holidays boat swap - does it happen?

Tony W

Visit site
We all love our boating and invariably have our own base somewhere, but, on occasions it would be nice to travel a little further to explore new spots without the £20k round trip in fuel, say, Spain/Balearics to Croatia etc etc. Does anyone know of any kind of legitimate “Swap shop” “Exchange” etc. I get the charter concept but there is a a world of owner/asset boat lovers around and is there a club??

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I believe it does occasionally, if rarely, happen, but as you have identified, getting in touch with suitable swaps(?) is one of the major hurdles.

A year or so ago someone on the LM forum offered a holiday swap of their LM in the northern Netherlands for one in the UK. As far as I am aware no one has taken them up on the offer yet, but an owners' association forum, facebook page, newsletter or whatever for your make/type of boat might be worth a try.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I'm guessing that insurance might be an issue. Occasionally I get commercial skippers to move my boat and the insurance co wants all sorts of details about them and their qualifications so I guess with a non qualified person, they're going to be asking a lot of questions

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I'm guessing that insurance might be an issue. Occasionally I get commercial skippers to move my boat and the insurance co wants all sorts of details about them and their qualifications so I guess with a non qualified person, they're going to be asking a lot of questions

Perhaps that is because of the high value of your boat? My insurance covers me or anyone in charge of the boat with my permission, although it excludes anyone 'operating, managing or working upon the Vessel who is employed by a ship yard, repair yard, marina, yacht club, sales agency, delivery contractor or similar organisation'. (Presumably the latter should have their own insurance.)

alt

Visit site
The thought of a stranger taking my boat while i'm not there just isin't happening.

If my boat is worth 100k and someone wants to swap with their boat worth 200k, it's still not happening.

I suspect i'm not the only one who has quite an emotional attachment to their boat. What happens if you return to find a scratch on the gelcoat etc. and the answer is "well that wasn't me, must have been there previously" .... if I want to use a boat in Spain (and i'd love to), i'd just charter.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Perhaps that is because of the high value of your boat? My insurance covers me or anyone in charge of the boat with my permission, although it excludes anyone 'operating, managing or working upon the Vessel who is employed by a ship yard, repair yard, marina, yacht club, sales agency, delivery contractor or similar organisation'. (Presumably the latter should have their own insurance.)

Not sure value comes into it. The concern for an insurance co is the third party damage that another skipper could do to other vessels or property

Having said that, it should be possible for an insurance co to accept anyone who can demonstrate suitable knowledge and experience

luke collins

Visit site
Hi Andy got all excited however the only problem is my squadron is in Thailand not the Caribbean, would that be a problem ?

alt

Visit site
Hi Andy got all excited however the only problem is my squadron is in Thailand not the Caribbean, would that be a problem ?
Do you actually have a boat based in TH?

Regardless.... it appears that Phuket is the only place that 'nice' boats are based. Such a pitty, as it's a miserable place. That said, lovely cruising grounds. Krabi is just a wonderful area.

Tony W

Visit site
I can’t find anywhere to be fair but if there was such a thing but only on a peer to peer basis, I.E. You must be a boat owner to participate and you could only exchange for a boat that you are suitably qualified to use then I personally would be open to it, of course it’s a very personal choice but just surprised there’s nothing out there?

oldgit

Visit site
The thought of a stranger taking my boat while i'm not there just isin't happening.
+1

.....and the mere thought of hearing the overheat alarms going off or a funny clonking noise from the IPS The You break it and You fix it rule, would keep me awake at night. Been offered the use of one or two very impressive (expensive ) boats. Unless its quick ferry trip ,always make sure the owner is onboard to fill up the furl tank and most importantly pick up the bills.

Last edited: