Hitachi Alternator swop

ashanta

Visit site
I have decided to swop my current Hitachi 55 amp alternator for a Hitachi 80 amp alternator. The upgrade is something suggested in the workshop manual for my Yanmar 4Jhe engine. I have bought the new alternator (Protorque Yanmar-Marine-Alternator-119573-77200-119573-77201-129470-77200-119573-7720-NEW
CODE: PH300-0002 ) assuming I would be able to swop the connections over from one to the other. I have attached two pictures. One showing the old one currently fitted and the second is a picture of the new one. I am highlighting the difference in markings. On my old one there is an E at around 7 o'clock next to a connection post with cables attached. On the new one the E is at around 2 O'clock and appears to be a small screw connection as opposed to the connecting post on the old one. The BAT connection post seems to be located in the same location at 3 O'clock. As you can understand I do not want to make a mistake with the connections. I have tried to contact the manufacturers www.wsmparts.com both by email which seems to fail and by their "Protorque" facebook page. They don't seem to be in a hurry to help me.
If anyone on the forum has carried out this upgrade or is experienced with alternators I would appreciate any help or advice you may be able to give me.

Attachments

• 20151025_130747A.jpg
    20151025_130747A.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Hitachi Alt 2.jpg
    Hitachi Alt 2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 52

Billjratt

Visit site
You don't show enough of your old one.
The connections should be : Battery or splitter diode or whatever to B+
Ignition lamp to the spade terminal indicated beside the larger spade which is also B+
Negative to either of the studs indicated - If your old one is not isolated you will need to jumper those studs to the chassis/frame.
The stator connections are for a tachometer.

ashanta

Visit site
You don't show enough of your old one.
The connections should be : Battery or splitter diode or whatever to B+
Ignition lamp to the spade terminal indicated beside the larger spade which is also B+
Negative to either of the studs indicated - If your old one is not isolated you will need to jumper those studs to the chassis/frame.
The stator connections are for a tachometer.

In the bottom left I have circled in blue a connection post that has the letter E stamped beside it. You can see this if you enlarge the picture. The E on the the new alternator (picture on the right) is located at 2 O'clock and is not a proper connection post as you can see in the picture. As mentioned. This is supposed to be an upgrade and the cables are supposed to match up the same from old to new connectors. Hence my dilemna! Why is the E stamped in the different location and by a small screw rather than a connection post?

rob2

Visit site
I'm confused, the original fitment is a Hitachi, but the replacement is from Protorque not Hitachi. Why do you believe it is a direct drop in replacement? I would expect it fits and aligns correctly but I believe it is an american built unit so may need the connectors modified. I did look for Protorque on the net but all the adverts I found said they would not export to UK and couldn't find any technical data.

Rob.

ashanta

Visit site
The unit is referenced as the replacement for my old unit. I am based in Ireland and it was bought from Marine Parts Direct Dublin. A company I have used regularly
over the years.

ashanta

Visit site
I'm confused, the original fitment is a Hitachi, but the replacement is from Protorque not Hitachi. Why do you believe it is a direct drop in replacement? I would expect it fits and aligns correctly but I believe it is an american built unit so may need the connectors modified. I did look for Protorque on the net but all the adverts I found said they would not export to UK and couldn't find any technical data.

Rob.

https://www.facebook.com/ProtorqueStarters/

http://www.wsmparts.com/

FullCircle

Visit site
On my 3YM30 I swapped from a 55a to an 80a Hitachi, they were slightly different but I can find the pin out information I used. I will keep looking
Alternator 80a119573-77201Hitachi LR180-03C
Alternator 60A128271-77200

pvb

Visit site
On my old one there is an E at around 7 o'clock next to a connection post with cables attached. On the new one the E is at around 2 O'clock and appears to be a small screw connection as opposed to the connecting post on the old one.

The E terminal on your old alternator is the main earthing terminal, and the negative cable will be attached to it. With the new alternator, simply connect the negative cable to the post in the same position. Ignore the E mark on the new alternator.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
My 3YM30s Yanmars both came with the 80A Hitachi as this was an option at time of purchase.

These were taken last year. They might be helpful.

IMG_1650.JPG

IMG_1651.JPG

Richard

PS The missing part of the label says IC REG as I can see from the other engine.

Last edited: