Hire boat holiday on the Thames

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I've been up and down the Thames regularly for years but I can't work out where this is. Obviously that's Wittenham clumps in the background so it's near to Dorchester or Clifton Hampden.

4518.jpg

Is it up the Weir stream near Clifton lock?

Seems too narrow to be the main channel.

mlines

www.sportsboat.org.uk
We walked past various boats from various hire fleets the other day.

All of them were exiles from the 1980s in terms of interior furnishings, most seemed to have seats with the same fabric as old BR railway carriages and equally ancient woodwork. Looking at the hire costs they are expensive holidays, has no company invested in their fleets since the Miners strike? Even the "Le Boats" looked quite tired.

NEB

Visit site
Le Boats looked tired when I had a nose around their yard a couple of years ago, this was in April when they should have been looking their best. Hobbs have a couple of Linssens and Kris Cruisers have some nice boats that look well looked after.

oldgit

Visit site
Definately loads around when we were up that way last week and all of the them seemed to be doing well regards river rules and locks.
Agree about the shabbyness and general lack of investment in the fleet overall.
This may well come to bite them in the future, folks really are becoming used to smart modern accomodation on their hols.
Some of the boats did remind me of 1950s caravan holidays.

Have look at this as well.
'I want to dance with joy': a beach cabin escape on Kent's Isle of Sheppey

Last edited:

ianc1200

Visit site
We had 3 years on the Broads up to 2017, the difference was vast - Broads hire cruisers seemed smarter/bigger and certainly newer than Thames craft.

Old Crusty

Visit site
One of my colleagues used to return the Le Boat 'one way' cruisers back from Penton Hook to Benson. He learned that the Thames fleet came from the French canals after the boats had been beaten up. Even the mooring lines are frayed, rough and likely to rip your hands. Seems a lot of money for something sub standard. I agree, Hobbs have the best couple of hire boats and Kris Cruisers are of a high standard.

oldgit

Visit site
Did watch several hire boats attempt to moor on the fields at Cookham and wandered up to help, only one persevered and succeeded.
One noteable arrival was chap in a snazzy sports boat, who pulled in behind us, obviously a bit new to game.
Wandered up to grab his lines, wind was pretty fresh off the meadows.
As boat was apparently constructed out of shiney papier mache , was easy to take his lines and hold boat in while he leapt ashore.
He then thanked me and took the lines.
I quietly suggested that it might be a good idea to take his mooring pins out of where ever they were hidden.
His wife then had to find the pins and with some difficulty heaved them onto the river bank.
About 10 mins later he was busy inflating the most impressive collection of kayaks/dingies and other blow up toys ever to grace a river bank. :)
Glorious afternoon and all for only £8.00 with free entertainment laid on as well.

Chris_d

Visit site
His wife then had to find the pins and with some difficulty heaved them onto the river bank.
About 10 mins later he was busy inflating the most impressive collection of kayaks/dingies and other blow up toys ever to grace a river bank. :)
Glorious afternoon and all for only £8.00 with free entertainment laid on as well.
Not sure I would pay £8 to watch somebody blow up inflatable toys but whatever floats your boat! :)
Clearly its very different down on the Medway

Wavey

Visit site
One of my colleagues used to return the Le Boat 'one way' cruisers back from Penton Hook to Benson. He learned that the Thames fleet came from the French canals after the boats had been beaten up.
I remember when they first appeared in Penton and that was what we heard.

The Glassman

Visit site
If you really want 'the best', the Hobb's two Linssens are the mutts nuts. But you pay royally for that quality - they are £250k boats after all.
In the real world, Kris Cruisers in Datchet are far and away the best Hire Boat Operators on the river IMHO. Family run, friendly and knowledgeable, they even give newbies some instruction - radical!!!
Even their (very well cared-for) older boats are in excellent order. Their newer ones are lovely. Lost count of how many of their customers (from all over the world) I've spoken to over the years, but they all say how good they are - their repeat booking rate is exceptional.
Disclaimer here - I have no interest in or relationship with KC.
As regards Le Boat... no comment.
If you want cheap (?) and cheerful then the Caversham fleet may well suit you - and I gather they'll do shortish/ last minute hires as well.
Yer pays yer money......

Big John

Visit site
I've been up and down the Thames regularly for years but I can't work out where this is. Obviously that's Wittenham clumps in the background so it's near to Dorchester or Clifton Hampden.

4518.jpg

Is it up the Weir stream near Clifton lock?

Seems too narrow to be the main channel.
The small cut into the bank in the forfront of the picture is where the cows come to drink water. Its also very shallow along that section. Also good to see the fencing has been removed which was put up be the previous owner of the land, I beleive he was the finance director of UKIP.

TrueBlue

Visit site
It's at the dar end of the head lock cut - juts a bit further upstream of the lock layby. There's a small clump of trees on the lock island.
If 'one' positions the camera carefully, you can avoid all the lcok hardware and make it look like a rural idyl - which has ben done!!