Hi speed drillbit sorting

Boathook

Visit site
Ok…layout all your drill bits by length next to each other…then get a straight edge and lay it on them..if there is an abnormality in diameter (due to sharpening, from a different set etc) then it will be obvious. I propose that this extremely helpful way of sorting bits be called ‘doing a Bouba’
Is there a 'groan' emoji !

Bouba

Visit site
Digital for me: More exact, easier to read (when somehow my eyes have gotten older(?))
The one in my workshop is digital but I have a cheapie analogue one on the boat...and it has gone into so many tight spaces where it has bent and I have restraightened it, it might not be so accurate anymore

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Is there a 'groan' emoji !
The one in my workshop is digital but I have a cheapie analogue one on the boat...and it has gone into so many tight spaces where it has bent and I have restraightened it, it might not be so accurate anymore
Digital at home, cheap digital (£2-ish) on the boat and an analogue 100% plastic one in the shed. Seems indestructible but not really precise anymore.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Take up smoking Golden Virginia rolling tobacco,tins are great for storing drill bits
Save your lungs.
Take a rectangle of wood, start with the smallest drill bit to drill a hole near the corner of the wood, extract the bit from the drill and put it in the hole. Continue with progressively larger bits drilling around the wood.
Oil the wood to prevent the bits rusting. ?

Lomax

Visit site
Not that I'd want to hijack this interesting thread, but I have to protest against the impression that analogue calipers would somehow be the cheapo option - my Helios calipers that I've had since my school days cost a fair chunk of £££ back in the day and are still in surprisingly good nick thirty years later, despite having lived through the rough and tumble of life aboard. They've been fished out of the mud at least a couple of times, and they're still on their original set of batteries!

Helios Student calipers.jpg

Wansworth

Visit site
Save your lungs.
Take a rectangle of wood, start with the smallest drill bit to drill a hole near the corner of the wood, extract the bit from the drill and put it in the hole. Continue with progressively larger bits drilling around the wood.
Oil the wood to prevent the bits rusting. ?
That’s very good but will it stand being thrown i tool bag to go aboard,tin can have small quantity of oil to anti rust……

Bouba

Visit site
Not that I'd want to hijack this interesting thread, but I have to protest against the impression that analogue calipers would somehow be the cheapo option - my Helios calipers that I've had since my school days cost a fair chunk of £££ back in the day and are still in surprisingly good nick thirty years later, despite having lived through the rough and tumble of life aboard. They've been fished out of the mud at least a couple of times, and they're still on their original set of batteries!

View attachment 146687
We can agree with that...but surprisingly you can get a very accurate caliper for about six euros...in fact the digital ones are also remarkably cheap

bill bligh

Visit site
I don't want to hijack this thread I only asked to try an help folk. If you broke or blunted your last bit of a particular size it would be handy to know how to sharpen one so you could carry on with your job until you could buy a new one.

Wansworth

Visit site
I don't want to hijack this thread I only asked to try an help folk. If you broke or blunted your last bit of a particular size it would be handy to know how to sharpen one so you could carry on with your job until you could buy a new one.
No your right,certainly a sensible suggestion

Sandro

Visit site
Lomax said:
"Not that I'd want to hijack this interesting thread, but I have to protest against the impression that analogue calipers would somehow be the cheapo option"
+1
My analogue Mauser (made in Austria, same company of the rifle) are from 1954, cost at the time a lot of money, accuracy is mechanical thus everlasting if not abused. I try and keep it as far as possible from the sea side.
I wonder if digital calipers have an adjustable zero, likely to cause errors. Electronics are irreplaceable where needed but best avoided if possible, IMHO.
I aknowledge the better readability.