Hi speed drillbit sorting

Bouba

Visit site
I think you can sort them by length....most sets of drill bits go up in length as they go up in diameter

VicS

Visit site
Can I sort the size of them all by going on the length? Thats a reliable way of sorting?l
If they all came from the same set probably but if of mixed origin diameter is the way.
They should be marked with the size but you may need a magnifier to read it, especially on the small ones

Bouba

Visit site
So..we can modify the advice...if using only one set of bits you can use length to sort them...but beware of broken bits as these will be very short...the good news is that it’s mostly the smallest diameters that snap.

Boathook

Visit site
So..we can modify the advice...if using only one set of bits you can use length to sort them...but beware of broken bits as these will be very short...the good news is that it’s mostly the smallest diameters that snap.
I have noticed that drill bits are the same length for a small range of sizes such as upto 2mm, then over 2mm to 4mm, etc.

Bouba

Visit site
I have noticed that drill bits are the same length for a small range of sizes such as upto 2mm, then over 2mm to 4mm, etc.
Interesting...I don’t know what the OP’s setup is...but all my drill bit sets come in a case that can only accept the correct diameter and sometimes length. Perhaps the OP thought that it was just packaging and threw the case out?‍♂️??

Bouba

Visit site
The OP is from NZ... do the drill bits go in the opposite direction in the Southern Hemisphere...like water circling the plug hole ?‍♂️

VicS

Visit site
The OP is from NZ... do the drill bits go in the opposite direction in the Southern Hemisphere...like water circling the plug hole ?‍♂️
No, but they are sharpened at the opposite end

1669219889754.png

Sundials "run" anticlockwise in the southern hemisphere. If clocks had been invented there they too would probably have run in the opposite direction.

Bouba

Visit site
Ok…layout all your drill bits by length next to each other…then get a straight edge and lay it on them..if there is an abnormality in diameter (due to sharpening, from a different set etc) then it will be obvious. I propose that this extremely helpful way of sorting bits be called ‘doing a Bouba’

Bouba

Visit site
The OP said either high speed drill bits or high speed sorting.
I have taken it to mean high speed sorting because there is a chance that the OP is a yottie and therefore only has wood bits

Gixer

Visit site
If you want to sort drill bits at high speed I suggest drinking 5 cans of Redbull.

Sorry, slow day at the office....