Hi from Southampton

ST840

Visit site
Hi mate, im mooring just off bitterne triangle behind the Vape shop, do you have a boat still and go out often ? Would love to follow the lead of someone with more experience around the area
Ok so you are next to Cobden bridge (whitworth crescent?). I started off there at Bluffs quay, it’s a bit further down the road. Then I crossed over the river on the priory road side.
yes I’m still boating but have now move up boat sizes and located to the Hamble river. I’d be happy to show you the ropes around Southampton water. The main trouble for you is the tide and getting out at your convenience.

HandyAndyO

Visit site
Ok so you are next to Cobden bridge (whitworth crescent?). I started off there at Bluffs quay, it’s a bit further down the road. Then I crossed over the river on the priory road side.
yes I’m still boating but have now move up boat sizes and located to the Hamble river. I’d be happy to show you the ropes around Southampton water. The main trouble for you is the tide and getting out at your convenience.
That's it mate, I was looking over at Hamble to be honest, I'm only near Netley anyway so that would be more convenient for me, do you know of any good mooring places that are reasonable ? I'm paying £50 a month here but obviously the Hamble will be dearer.

I would definitely appreciate meeting up some time, its always good to know someone when you start something new, all the valuable info that can't be read up lol.

So what size boat you up to now ?

Soco2

Visit site
Ah yeah good info , I'm sure I will be fine.
I must say your all very helpful and welcoming, really appreciated from a novice like me.

If any of you see me about in the water give me a shout and I will toss over a cold beer ?
Welcome!
I will be based in shamrock for a few weeks before contemplating moving. Know those waters pretty well Although with your draught you won’t really have a problem.

regarding handling, the MBY “how to” videos are quite informative on YouTube.

good luck ??

HandyAndyO

Visit site
Welcome!
I will be based in shamrock for a few weeks before contemplating moving. Know those waters pretty well Although with your draught you won’t really have a problem.

good luck ??
Oh nice ok mate will give them a look, thanks for the help, maybe see you about if the sun decides to play ball

HandyAndyO

Visit site

Elessar

Visit site
Welcome!

good luck ??
Say hi if you’re about I’m on Golf pontoon.

Elessar

Visit site
Wow, what great photos, doesn't look like England haha, im so gutted I didn't go out now.
Keep an eye out for me at the weekends then, im the little blue and white boat that looks lost ?
On the way down river stop and say hi if I’m about. I’m halfway down shamrock quay right on the outside near the river with my bows pointing to the land - easy to spot as most boats point up and down the river.

ST840

Visit site
So what size boat you up to now ?
I’m up to 8.6m now. The thing with the Hamble is that it’s expensive, but the further you go down it the slightly cheaper it gets. If I were you I’d be looking at Cabin boat yard, Eastlands or Deacons.
Either one you will expect to pay minimum x4 what you are paying now for your size of boat.
On the Itchen you could take a look at Kemps or Lauren marine. Lauren though is a bit of a pikey yard, but you get what you pay for. Apart from the more expensive marinas they will all be tidal on the Itchen. Which is a real pain when you get a lovely impromptu day but the tide is out. That’s why we decided to take the plunge and move to a full time deep water mooring.

HandyAndyO

Visit site
Your right mate, I've spent the day getting quotes and some were 4k upwards, I have found some reasonable ones on the Itchen and Kemls was one of them so until I get a bigger dearer boat I don't think I can justify paying more annually than the boat is worth ?,
Thanks for the advice though, I've felt very welcomed on this forum

Elessar

Visit site
I’m up to 8.6m now. The thing with the Hamble is that it’s expensive, but the further you go down it the slightly cheaper it gets. If I were you I’d be looking at Cabin boat yard, Eastlands or Deacons.
Either one you will expect to pay minimum x4 what you are paying now for your size of boat.
On the Itchen you could take a look at Kemps or Lauren marine. Lauren though is a bit of a pikey yard, but you get what you pay for. Apart from the more expensive marinas they will all be tidal on the Itchen. Which is a real pain when you get a lovely impromptu day but the tide is out. That’s why we decided to take the plunge and move to a full time deep water mooring.
Ocean quay and Itchen marine are both lower cost and full ride access.