Hi all, I could do with some help. I am looking for a yacht from 30 to 35 ft and wish to put it at a marina near yarmouth.

Slowboat35

Visit site
Unfortunately Suffolk is home to some of the most bizarre and unexpected driving habits in the nation, especially the 42mph crawlers on A roads and the imfamous 'Suffolk Swerve' which requires a suddden and unindicated swerve to the eft, sometimes cossing over the centreline prior to a left turn. Mirrors? What mirrors! Indicators...? Be serious!

Ianthediver

Visit site
Hi Guys, I got a sun oddsey 29.2 Bubbles from Titchmarsh.
I live inland about 120 from Ipswich so could do with putting the boat at some where near Foxses or Royal Harwich. or is there some where better?

Dee Bee

Visit site
Given how long your dive is to Ipswich, the extra 20 minutes to Shotley is less important than the flexibility you have when leaving the marina in terms of getting out to sea and access to the Orwell and Stour. It really is a slog from ipswich down to the sea and a lot longer than 20 minutes extra driving.

michael_w

Visit site
Personally, I enjoy the jaunt down the river. if in a rush on the way home it is no problem to pack the boat up as you go. I will probably be flamed for putting my sail coat on before tying up. If on a longer trip, ie across the North Sea, SOP is to stage down to Leavington or Harwich the night before.

Ianthediver

Visit site
Thanks all for the knowledge share, I have read your comments and researched and researched. I have come up with 3 options. Shortley marina Foxes and Mersey marina. What do I need to price for?
I think I would like the boat out of the water from December to April (maybe?)
I would like to use it from April to December.
Do I have it swinging it is 29ft is this possible?
Is it best to have it on a birth? inner or outer?
Is it best to have annual birthing fees as I may want to go round the coast visiting places?
Or is this down to try it all out and find out what suits me?

pvb

Visit site
Thanks all for the knowledge share, I have read your comments and researched and researched. I have come up with 3 options. Shortley marina Foxes and Mersey marina. What do I need to price for?
Is it best to have annual birthing fees as I may want to go round the coast visiting places?

Mersey marina might be a bit of a slog.

PaulRainbow

Visit site

Why have 5 months of being unable to use the boat ? We were out sailing yesterday, wrapped up warm, bright and Sunny with a nice breeze, good day out.

You can have it on a swinging mooring, if you don't mind the messing around of loading/unloading the tender, personally got sick of that really quick, but some love it. You'll also have to pay for a Winter ashore, when i priced it up the saving didn't seem worth the effort, for me.

Shotley is a 20 minute drive, but 10 mins from the sea, Foxs is an hour or so from the sea.

An annual berthing fee is vastly cheaper than moving around and paying visitor rates. There are so many places worth visiting from the Orwell, within a day sail, you'll never seem them all in a season.

Ianthediver

Visit site
Why have 5 months of being unable to use the boat ? We were out sailing yesterday, wrapped up warm, bright and Sunny with a nice breeze, good day out.

You can have it on a swinging mooring, if you don't mind the messing around of loading/unloading the tender, personally got sick of that really quick, but some love it. You'll also have to pay for a Winter ashore, when i priced it up the saving didn't seem worth the effort, for me.

Shotley is a 20 minute drive, but 10 mins from the sea, Foxs is an hour or so from the sea.

An annual berthing fee is vastly cheaper than moving around and paying visitor rates. There are so many places worth visiting from the Orwell, within a day sail, you'll never seem them all in a season.
Brill thank you very much for your time. So having the boat on a swinging mooring at Foxses all year would seem to be a good start for me and family. Thanks Ian Gina

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Brill thank you very much for your time. So having the boat on a swinging mooring at Foxses all year would seem to be a good start for me and family. Thanks Ian Gina

Would not be my first choice. I'd be inclined to follow PVBs suggestion (post #70) and put it on a swinging mooring at Shotley. Have you and your wife tried swinging before, she might not like it and you could find yourself doing it on your own, which isn't always popular with wives

You might be a little exposed swinging at Shotley in the Winter too, perhaps a pontoon at Wrabness for the Winter months ?

Leighb

Visit site
Would not be my first choice. I'd be inclined to follow PVBs suggestion (post #70) and put it on a swinging mooring at Shotley. Have you and your wife tried swinging before, she might not like it and you could find yourself doing it on your own, which isn't always popular with wives

You might be a little exposed swinging at Shotley in the Winter too, perhaps a pontoon at Wrabness for the Winter months ?
are there any pontoons at Wrabness?? Shotley is pretty exposed, a friend had his yacht sink on a Shotley mooring many years ago, can’t now remember the actual cause but severe winter weather had a part to play.

• Haha
Reactions: pvb
Visit site
I would advise keeping your new yacht in a marina if you possibly can. It is so much easier to use and more family friendly in my opinion. There are several marinas in the Orwell. Consider Haven or Neptune in Ipswich itself. Also Debbages. … I am not an expert on this area. But I am sure others can advise more usefully.

Ianthediver

Visit site

Great tell me more I had just narrowed it down to pontoon at Woolverstone Marina and Royal Harwich YC , Never herd of Wrabness thanks any more info on the place, I know this is going to cost me loads of beers when I run into you guys thanks,

pvb

Visit site
Great tell me more I had just narrowed it down to pontoon at Woolverstone Marina and Royal Harwich YC , Never herd of Wrabness thanks any more info on the place, I know this is going to cost me loads of beers when I run into you guys thanks,

Wrabness isn't widely known. But the Wrabness Marina offers excellent facilities, although the gender-neutral toilet blocks designed by renowned artist Grayson Perry may not be to everyone's taste.