Hi all, I could do with some help. I am looking for a yacht from 30 to 35 ft and wish to put it at a marina near yarmouth.

johnalison

Visit site
I'll give the counter argument... a swinging mooring is a much more peaceful place. You wouldn't take your car for a restful break in an NCP would you?
I agree, but the choice has to be the OP’s in the end. When we lived in Hertfordshire, the last thing I wanted to do was drive yet more miles and was happy to keep our boat at Maylandsea on a swinging mooring to save the drive to Bradwell or Tollesbury, equivalent to Ipswich-Shotley. There is something very satisfying about loading one’s stuff into the dinghy and setting off to the mooring for a peaceful evening at the end of the week. I would advise anyone young enough who wants to keep costs down to go to a swinging mooring while they can, and leave marinas for the old and decrepit.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
We had a boat on a swinging mooring at Pin Mill for a time. When we first moved there it seemed lovely, we didn't mind parking in Gus's yard, getting the dinghy out of the rack, fitting the wheels and engine, loading the contents of the car into the dinghy, parking the car in the top yard, walking back to the bottom yard (while one of us guarded the dinghy), dragging the dinghy along the concrete path to the waters edge (assuming the waters edge was before we ran out of concrete path, (if not, back to the Butt and Oyster for a pint), motoring to the boat, unloading the dinghy, tying the dinghy to the buoy and finally, collapsing in a heap. Repeating, in reverse, when it was time to go home.

After a season, we must have became old and decrepit, as we moved to a marina. It's tough here, having to park the car and walk to the boat, sometimes carrying as much as two carrier bags of supplies. The on tap water and endless supply of shore power are both a bind, but we battle on. Oh how we miss dragging the dinghy through the mud.

johnalison

Visit site
We had a boat on a swinging mooring at Pin Mill for a time. When we first moved there it seemed lovely, we didn't mind parking in Gus's yard, getting the dinghy out of the rack, fitting the wheels and engine, loading the contents of the car into the dinghy, parking the car in the top yard, walking back to the bottom yard (while one of us guarded the dinghy), dragging the dinghy along the concrete path to the waters edge (assuming the waters edge was before we ran out of concrete path, (if not, back to the Butt and Oyster for a pint), motoring to the boat, unloading the dinghy, tying the dinghy to the buoy and finally, collapsing in a heap. Repeating, in reverse, when it was time to go home.

After a season, we must have became old and decrepit, as we moved to a marina. It's tough here, having to park the car and walk to the boat, sometimes carrying as much as two carrier bags of supplies. The on tap water and endless supply of shore power are both a bind, but we battle on. Oh how we miss dragging the dinghy through the mud.
You were old and decrepit. We kept a boat on the staging at Maylandsea for some years but changed to a Sadler 29 and moved to a mooring. The rubber dinghy was a bit of a fag and so bought an 8’ pram. This was kept at the back of the staging and it was easy to pull it across and plop it into the water as it weighed next to nothing. There was then 10-15 mins chugging to the mooring and then peace and quiet. We did this for twelve years, by which time I was aged 59. The boat had few electrical demands, and we thought nothing of it.

Visit site
Wrabness isn't widely known. But the Wrabness Marina offers excellent facilities, although the gender-neutral toilet blocks designed by renowned artist Grayson Perry may not be to everyone's taste.

I’m a bit puzzled about this Marina. It’s a few years since I sailed the East coast. Wrabness used to be a fairly remote and tranquil location … it’s a shame if that isn’t the case now

Concerto

Visit site
I have never heard of Wrabness Marina and using Google maps on satelite view, I could not find any marina at Wrabness. There is a small drying pontoon with what looks like some house boats at Mistley and called Mistley Marina. Perhaps this is what is being refered to.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
I have never heard of Wrabness Marina and using Google maps on satelite view, I could not find any marina at Wrabness. There is a small drying pontoon with what looks like some house boats at Mistley and called Mistley Marina. Perhaps this is what is being refered to.

I understand that 'Sealand marina' will be finished for next season. It will provide a useful starting point for those crossing the North Sea

PaulRainbow

Visit site
You were old and decrepit. We kept a boat on the staging at Maylandsea for some years but changed to a Sadler 29 and moved to a mooring. The rubber dinghy was a bit of a fag and so bought an 8’ pram. This was kept at the back of the staging and it was easy to pull it across and plop it into the water as it weighed next to nothing. There was then 10-15 mins chugging to the mooring and then peace and quiet. We did this for twelve years, by which time I was aged 59. The boat had few electrical demands, and we thought nothing of it.

Although we keep the boat in a marina now, the staff here at Shotley are great. If we're really quiet about it, they will turn a blind eye if we want to leave the marina and sit in a quiet anchorage, as long as we don't do it too often and are back by dark.

Leighb

Visit site

You left out the complex manoeuvres to try and keep the mud out of the boat when you got out there.?
You can at least rinse off your boots in the Grindle or under the tap before getting back into the car to drive home. We had a boat on one of Gus King’s moorings for some years but mostly accessed it from the RHYC, which has an all tide (almost) clean slipway. On one occasion when we dinghied out from Pin Mill we had a lovely sail, but arrived back to find the water was about 20 yards from the end of the slip.☹️ “I am not getting out in that” says SWMBO, so I had to drag the dinghy, a moderately heavy rigid affair, through the mud until she could step up onto the concrete!

Ianthediver

Visit site
You left out the complex manoeuvres to try and keep the mud out of the boat when you got out there.?
You can at least rinse off your boots in the Grindle or under the tap before getting back into the car to drive home. We had a boat on one of Gus King’s moorings for some years but mostly accessed it from the RHYC, which has an all tide (almost) clean slipway. On one occasion when we dinghied out from Pin Mill we had a lovely sail, but arrived back to find the water was about 20 yards from the end of the slip.☹ “I am not getting out in that” says SWMBO, so I had to drag the dinghy, a moderately heavy rigid affair, through the mud until she could step up onto the concrete!
That does all sound a bit of a messy place so I'll keep clear thank you guys

Chalk

Visit site
I'd not want to be lugging muddy stuff around on a wet Sunday night ahead of a 120 mile drive when my brain's rapidly moving from peaceful sail to Monday morning work mode.

tr8

Visit site
Very surprised no mention of Levington. Suffolk Yacht Harbour. A few mins of the A14, no lock, short-handed in a windy lock is not easy, especially as gone for tiller.

pvb

Visit site
Very surprised no mention of Levington. Suffolk Yacht Harbour. A few mins of the A14, no lock, short-handed in a windy lock is not easy, especially as gone for tiller.

Welcome to the forums!

If you feel the desperate need to post something, it's always an idea to read the thread first. SYH Levington was mentioned in around 7 of the previous posts.