Here we go again! Boat loose on Shepperton wier

Northern Star

Visit site
I was there when they pulled another one off, a narrowboat in October. Loads of notices for non payment of fines and one claiming his engine had broken down with no sign of any river licence but he did at least leave a phone number so I do hope the invoice for the rescue and delivery to outside the Thames Court was duly issued and paid?

IMG_4690.jpg

Pump-Out

Visit site
Slight change of topic, but still fast water related:
Info passed to me earlier:

There is a yellow marker bow immediately upstream of Henley Bridge. Just a few yards and bang slap in the centre of the centre arch, positioned to prevent use of the arch. There is debris caught around the mooring tackle which makes the hazard even larger.

There is another yellow marker (where have they all come from?) mid stream somewhere around Upper Thames Rowing Club

Shall we count how long it takes the EA to move these on?

Chris_d

Visit site
Slight change of topic, but still fast water related:
Info passed to me earlier:

There is a yellow marker bow immediately upstream of Henley Bridge. Just a few yards and bang slap in the centre of the centre arch, positioned to prevent use of the arch. There is debris caught around the mooring tackle which makes the hazard even larger.

There is another yellow marker (where have they all come from?) mid stream somewhere around Upper Thames Rowing Club

Shall we count how long it takes the EA to move these on?
Reported nearly 3 months ago now, EA survey boat went past it back in November and didn't do anything.

For information this buoy hasn't been deliberately put there, it is normally between the islands a bit further up at Marsh Meadows and it was carried down by heavy rain in October. Now collecting debris it is effectively blocking navigation of the centre arch so not trivial and a hazard to navigation if you need to move a large craft.

Last edited:

ianc1200

Visit site
Chris d do you know what the green buoy below Henley bridge was for? Just below the Red Lion lawn, it's gone now but looked as though put there by the EA.

Chris_d

Visit site
Chris d do you know what the green buoy below Henley bridge was for? Just below the Red Lion lawn, it's gone now but looked as though put there by the EA.
Not put there by EA it was marking the shoal in Marsh Lock weir stream, the other yellow one was just upstream of Henley Rowing club. They are all out of position due to high levels and flow.

Last edited:

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I noticed yesterday a wide beam new looking canal boat had become caught up on the rather poorly designed concrete walkway below Boulter's lock. I mean the bit beside the road down past the island. Not the layby. I think it is council owned property but not sure.

It's quite common for boats to get caught on that bit as the level does change quite quickly there and perhaps this year there is more effect due to the repairs on the jubilee river.

Probably ok as the river doesn't go down very far there but it was at quite an angle. Would not be possible to lever it off. It might slide off but doubtful as even in summer the water is not particularly far below that bit.

That must have caught out countless boats over the years.