Henley Moorings

ladyhamilton

Visit site
Just for future reference, Henley Mill Meadows moorings have passed over to Where2moor as from today.
The signs are going up as I type.

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
That's a bit annoying as when we do occasionally go to Henley, we often moor in the park in the day, so we can go into town and collect supplies and look around. We then head downstream to either Fawley meadow or near the lock. I am guessing this wont be possible now then, as we would no doubt need to register and pay on arrival at mill meadows.

Bran

Visit site
Just looked on the where to moor website, it says FOC between 10:00 and 15:00, then £10 for 24hrs, if you go to register arrival it says 24 hours £0.00, 48 hours £10:00. Confusing!

ladyhamilton

Visit site
I couldn't seem to upload a photo of sign but the sign says basically
Free 10-3
£10 for 24hrs
£55 for 7 days
Max stay 14 days
No return 7 days

Barge

Visit site
Will have to have a look at the sign to see if i need to register on arrival, even if i am only shopping and moving on...probably do.

I wonder how much HTC are paying DE or where2moor for this? Have they had problems with non-payers perhaps?

Scapegoat

Visit site
I seem to remember that there were a lot of live aboards that were there for months/years - not sure if they were paying their £55 per week or not. And there were a few instances of unpleasant interactions with Council workers who were collecting fees etc. So they may have decided that they had less liability if DE staff get harangued than their own employees.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I glided past the town council moorings at Henley earlier this evening on a cruise. Full to the brim.

It's going to be an interesting time bearing in mind the old Ultra Vires story and local authority powers. It's not unusual for local authorities to overextend and make up legal powers they don't actually have.

It's a shame if it ends up going the same way as Richmond with a byelaw and nobody allowed to moor as I believe the Henley council quite like the £33k a year they take from the moorings..

It's ok to collect mooring fees if you are a private riparian owner but a local council can not act in the same way. They are able to apply for byelaws though and they will get around to it eventually.

Hopefully it will involve paying and stating rather than the Richmond and Hounslow options of anyone staying for more than an hour is a criminal..

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Interesting reading here

Elmbridge Borough Council - Moorings - unauthorised

There seems to be a lot of activity going on.

In the last letter to EA there is a quote about DE not fining overstayers on EA owned land but instead cranking up the mooring fee.

Interesting approach to use a car park company but it's not appropriate and I'm not all that convinced it is enforceable.

Off topic :
It seems those ridiculous planning applications towpath side by the waterworks below Sunbury lock "cherry orchard road" have all been binned and orders to remove all fencing and structures.

I wonder if they will ever lose the slum barges. That would be a victory !!

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
You clearly don't understand the process.......but then, it would appear, neither does anyone else.
DE cannot issue "fines". The mechanism is that if you overstay they issue a mooring charge for £150 which, if you fail to pay, they can then endeavorur to pursue as a civil debt. Clear?

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
You clearly don't understand the process.......but then, it would appear, neither does anyone else.
DE cannot issue "fines". The mechanism is that if you overstay they issue a mooring charge for £150 which, if you fail to pay, they can then endeavorur to pursue as a civil debt. Clear?
I was only quoting what I read in the letter to EA from Elmbridge.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site

I was only quoting what is written in the letter from Elmbridge to EA dated 16/7/21

"....The EA officers updated our committee that:

“enforcement action would be taken against the moorings along the entire length of the river and should there be incidents of overstaying, District Enforcement would be increasing the cost for the mooring rather than fining the individuals. In respect of unauthorised moorings, this was a focus for his team and although there were current restrictions, the team had been out on the river and on foot patrols to establish an intelligence picture of what was happening on the river at this time. This was not only in respect of unauthorised moorings but sunken and abandoned boats and his team was ready to take action as and when they were permitted to do so.”

From here

Elmbridge Borough Council - Letter to Environment Agency 16/7/21

Scapegoat

Visit site
As for recovery of the debt I wonder how they will do that if the council (in the case of the original topic) does not have a byelaw to control moorings.

Maybe Henley does have this.
And if the boat is not named or registered then DE have no name and address to serve notice ?‍♀️

Scapegoat

Visit site
I was only quoting what is written in the letter from Elmbridge to EA dated 16/7/21

"....The EA officers updated our committee that:

“enforcement action would be taken against the moorings along the entire length of the river and should there be incidents of overstaying, District Enforcement would be increasing the cost for the mooring rather than fining the individuals. In respect of unauthorised moorings, this was a focus for his team and although there were current restrictions, the team had been out on the river and on foot patrols to establish an intelligence picture of what was happening on the river at this time. This was not only in respect of unauthorised moorings but sunken and abandoned boats and his team was ready to take action as and when they were permitted to do so.”

From here

Elmbridge Borough Council - Letter to Environment Agency 16/7/21
The RoR/EA minutes were very interesting in that they indicated no action and no intention of acting. Contradicting previous assurances (as quoted) and also contradicting their own published charter

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Re the names on boats.
There are byelaws relating to boats having names and registrations on them if kept on the Thames.

Not sure if accidentally obscuring the landside and stern name badge with towels would breach byelaws.