Help wanted!

Patronkerr

Visit site
An old seaman mate of mine was a fireman on the Esso Saranac in 1947. The vessel had left the Gulf of Mexico bound for the UK and was nearing the Azores when a boiler blew, I am told. However there was an explosion which killed two men, one of whom was the fireman who had just relieved my mate. There was an enquiry, details of which are held by the National Archives, London. However the cost of access to it is nearly 300 pounds, a sum well beyond the reach of my mate, or indeed me. I'd appreciate any info from anyone with knowledge as it is niggling my mate in his later years. He'd just like to know where the buck stopped!

robind

Visit site
Hi! I live close to the esso tankers head office in Ashtead surrey. Do you think that it would be possible for me to just walk in and ask for some details? If so I will certainly try on your behalf.
Regards
Rob

Gunfleet

Visit site
I don't understand why he has to pay to use the National Archives. I've used it loads of times when it was the old PRO and charging was never in question.

BrendanS

Visit site
anyone can turn up and search the archives free of charge in person. If you want them to do a search for you, you pay a fee dependent on how long they think it will take to find the material

BrendanS

Visit site
I've done an online search, and found the relevant document:
Catalogue reference: MT 9/4869
Deaths (Code 32): Enquiry into deaths of Alexander Bodner and John William Drabble attributed to severe scals and shock due to burst boiler on the s.s. `ESSO SARANAC'. War Risks (Mercantile Marine) Scheme. Compensation and various Acts relating thereto. (and attached files)

You can order a printed copy sent to you by mail for £10, online, Click on this link!