Help to Identify a dinghy

Mandarin331

Visit site
My brother recently acquired a GRP dinghy which seems to be a traditionally designed, beach launching fishing dinghy. It's 15 foot long, undecked, double ended, a rudder which extends well below the keel and dipping lug rig with keel stepped mast. Heavily built and weights about a 1/4 tonne.

We have tried to identify it but can't find anything quite like this.

incidentally it was in bad condition but has now been fully restored, the pictures are just as he bought it.

WP_20180718_12_04_13_Pro.jpgWP_20180718_12_04_38_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

srm

Visit site
Looks a bit like a 'Shetland Maid' originally built by Thulecraft in Lerwick in the 1970's using a mould taken from a wood hull. However, if it is the stem and stern profiles should be the same but does not look quite right in the photo. Thulecraft eventualy sold the mould to a firm in England.

Last edited:

SaltIre

Visit site
Looks a bit like a 'Shetland Maid' originally built by Thulecraft in Lerwick in the 1970's using a mould taken from a wood hull. However, if it is the stem and stern profiles should be the same but does not look quite right in the photo. Thulecraft eventualy sold the mould to a firm in England.
I did a search of Thulecraft and it led me to "Peerie Boat Week 2018" in Shetland. I've copied an image from page 17 of the programme PDF and it looks similar to the OP's pic:
Peerie.gif
The link below should open the PDF showing more, similar, boats.
Redirect Notice

Mandarin331

Visit site
Thank you both, that looks very similar if not identical, and the hull shape would certainly match the Shetland style. We'll get in touch with Thulecraft and the Shetland museum but I think you've given me a very strong lead.

I'm curious to know how a Shetland dinghy landed up on the Blackwater. She needed every piece of wood on the hull replaced but the GRP hull was in perfect condition as were the sails, seems like someone left her uncovered for years.

Now fully restored in a Burnham yard and looking very smart, if I work it out I'll post some restored pictures.

srm

Visit site
I'm curious to know how a Shetland dinghy landed up on the Blackwater.
Thulecraft did sell the moulds to a business in England and I remember seeing the later version advertised in PBO, probably late 70's or early 80's . You may have one of the English built versions. Alternatively, it may have been bought new in Shetland by someone working for the oil industry at the time and then shipped south when they moved on.

An Rothaich

Visit site
Thank you. As far as I can tell from the condition etc Lapwing (the boat) is at least 20 years old and has been led a hard life. She had damage consistent with a hard grounding and the bow cleat was snapped off. She came with seven fathoms of chain and two anchors stowed amidships in a hollow thwart.

Shetland Maid stern is different - more raked and definitely no mini transom. Lapwing's mast is also stepped further forward and she has no shrouds, just a pair of running backstays. The tiller is shorter and very chunky. However the lines are very similar and the rudder blade (and steering oar arrangement) is typical of the NE coast. I have written to the museum at Lerwick but I am not expecting a quick reply. Now all we have to do is figure out how to sail her.